COTTAGE Bowl at Carleton University

Old college threads.
TheRhymeMinister
Wakka

COTTAGE Bowl at Carleton University

Post by TheRhymeMinister »

I am tickled pink to announce Carleton’s hosting of COTTAGE Bowl. This tournament will be held at Carleton University on November 9th, 2014, at location TBD.

For the global COTTAGE Bowl announcement, see here.

This is an open tournament, anyone can register and play. That said, we’d prefer teammates from the same school as much as possible. To register for the tournament, email me: CUQTAPresident(at)gmail.com

Fees

Base Fee per team: $100
Travel discount (more than 250km one way): -$10
Buzzer discount (must work, no buzzbox please): -$10
Staffers: -$10
Minimum fee: -$50

Payment will be accept in cash, or begrudgingly by cheque.

Logistics

This tournament will start at Carleton 9am sharp. If there’s one person you don’t want to see mad at 9:01am, it’s Gennesse.

A proper schedule with locations will come out closer to the day of.

Field Cap: 14 teams

Registered teams:
Carleton House Team
Carleton Shadow Team
McMaster (3)
Waterloo (4)
"Colonel By"
Ottawa
Toronto (2)
McGill
Last edited by TheRhymeMinister on Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:24 am, edited 11 times in total.
The Nick Penner
Waterloo Collegiate Institute '10
Carleton University '15
adosreme
Rikku

Re: COTTAGE Bowl at Carleton University

Post by adosreme »

I am definitely interested in playing this tournament, probably with a contingent of people from Waterloo.
Aaron Dos Remedios
Formerly of the Waterloo School of Abstruse Canadian Inside Jokes (University of Waterloo)
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

I should be there in some capacity. If I'm playing, I can remain "affiliated" with the same school and find some Ottawa teammates, otherwise I can join a shorthanded non-super team.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer
Rikku

Post by Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer »

Waterloo has registered 2 teams for this nonsense AND WE'RE GREATLY LOOKING FORWARD TO IT
Aayush Rajasekaran (he/him or she/her)
University of Waterloo, 2016
University of Waterloo, 2018
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

McGill is sending some players for this. Probably going to form a team.
Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

I know the field (and the Ottawa team) is pretty much full, but I'm still available for playing on a shorthanded team and come bearing a buzzer discount. I selfishly don't want to do double-duty reading that weekend.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
Theodore
Wakka

Post by Theodore »

bsmith wrote:I know the field (and the Ottawa team) is pretty much full, but I'm still available for playing on a shorthanded team and come bearing a buzzer discount. I selfishly don't want to do double-duty reading that weekend.
The Colonel By team most likely has space for you.
Ted (Ze Feng) Gan
The Pennsylvania State University, 2025
The Pennsylvania State University, 2021
Carleton University, 2019
Colonel By Secondary School, 2015

Former Executive Member of the Ontario Quizbowl Association (ONQBA), 2015-16
Former NAQT Writer, 2013-2016
Rikku

2 more teams coming from Waterloo, assuming y'all can handles us.
Theodore
Wakka

Post by Theodore »

The "Colonel By" team of Ben Smith, Janusz Gacek, and Yana Brion is looking for one more free agent. Please PM or email me if you'd like this spot.
Ted (Ze Feng) Gan
The Pennsylvania State University, 2025
The Pennsylvania State University, 2021
Carleton University, 2019
Colonel By Secondary School, 2015

Former Executive Member of the Ontario Quizbowl Association (ONQBA), 2015-16
Former NAQT Writer, 2013-2016
TheRhymeMinister
Wakka

Post by TheRhymeMinister »

I am happy to announce that our (expanded) field for COTTAGE Bowl at Carleton is now full and capped at 14 teams.

On Sunday, we will be meeting in Room 201 Paterson Hall. This is the same building we hosted ICCS 2014 in (but not the same meeting room as last time). Please consult the map here for more information about where it is.

For teams who need parking, consider using Parking Lot 1 behind the MacOdrum Library ($3 for the day) or Parking Lot 16, which is underground beneath the River Building (also $3 for the day). See this map for more parking info.

Our intention for the day is to run a full, 13 round Round Robin, followed by an advantaged final. This will give all teams the best value for money and means everyone gets to play as much trash as possible!

As such, we are asking for all teams to work with us to make the day run smoothly. This tournament starts at 9 AM SHARP. We WILL have teams play against empty chairs if need be, so it is imperative for teams to arrive ahead of that time. Teams should be planning on arriving at 201 Paterson by 8:30 am Sunday.

Further, the lunch break on Sunday may be suboptimal in length. However, Carleton will organize another one of our (in)famous $2 a slice pizza lunches, which we strongly encourage all teams to participate in. Considering on campus food options are extremely limited on weekends it would be #foolish to do anything else.

Overall, I am greatly looking forward to Sunday and I am highly optimistic this day will be a success.
The Nick Penner
Waterloo Collegiate Institute '10
Carleton University '15
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

FYI local players: the O-Train is not running this weekend. The 107 bus will go to all the train stops, but it is slower. Plan accordingly (from Bayview: leaves 7:30, 8:00, 8:30 & takes 15 minutes; from South Keys: leaves 7:30, 8:00, 8:30 & takes 12 minutes).
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Last edited by Fado Alexandrino on Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Su, OCT
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Final stats have been posted. A team of Dennis Beeby, Aaron Dos Remedios, Christine Irwin, and Aauysh Rajasekaran won outright. Three teams tied for second. Thank you to everyone who came out and played this event, I hope it was fun.
Joe Su, OCT
Rikku

This was the greatest thing that ever happened. That is all that needs to be said.

Thank you, and a very sincere congratulation to Carleton University for putting this all together. Colour me vaguely impressed.

THANKS! :DDD
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

Thank you to everyone involved in the running and writing of the tournament. I haven't played in a while, and it was an enjoyable experience.

Without referring to specifics at this time, I felt that outside of sports, there was a low amount of "mainstream" or "demonstrably popular" pop culture. I know there's no such thing as a canon, but some film franchises, show genres, and artists should be expected to appear in a trash tournament- even if the writing team doesn't like consuming that entertainment. Ignoring Harry Potter, crime procedurals, or the Beatles (note: those examples don't necessarily represent what was missing in the tournament- I just picked the most popular example of film, TV, and music) is a hole equivalent to missing Russian literature or Norse myth in an academic tournament.

That being said, the questions in the tournament did cover a wide variety of topics that were reasonable to answer. I just went into the tournament expecting some core topics.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10