NAQT SCT at Central Oklahoma 2/7/15

Old college threads.
The Favourite
Wakka

NAQT SCT at Central Oklahoma 2/7/15

Post by The Favourite »

The University of Central Oklahoma is pleased to announce that it will be hosting the 2015 NAQT Central Sectional on Saturday, February 7, 2014. We are going to do registration and check-in from 8:30-9:00 am and games will start shortly thereafter. Hopefully, this tournament will have separate D1 and D2 fields, if not, I expect us to have more D2 teams.

You can register for the tournament by following this link and choosing your division: http://www.naqt.com/registration/field. ... nt_id=6223

If you are not sure which division you fall into, you may check this link to find out: http://www.naqt.com/college/division-ii.html

The Pricing for this tournament will be as follows:

$125 for each school's first team; $100 for each subsequent team
-$10 per working buzzer
-$5 per working timer
-$30 for an approved staffer
-$20 New to NAQT discount (a team that did not participate in 2013 or 2014 SCT/ICT)
-$10 per every 200 miles traveled one way (according to google maps)

All payment must be made by, or on, the day of the tournament. There will be a $25 late fee if payment is not made by the end of the day on 2/7/2015.

We can accept cash, personal checks, checks from a school, or checks from an organization account.

If you have any questions, I can be reached at [email protected] at any time and will respond in a timely manner.

We hope to see you all there!
Tracey Hickman
Rock Creek 12
Redlands 14
Central Oklahoma 16
Coach, Murray State College (OK)
Former Coach, Coalgate Schools (OK)
Curriculum Director, Oklahoma Quizbowl Camps
The Favourite
Wakka

Re: NAQT SCT at Central Oklahoma 2/7/15

Post by The Favourite »

List of teams registered:

D1:

East Central (In Progress)

D2:

Central Oklahoma A
Central Oklahoma B
Tulsa A
Tulsa B
Tulsa C
North Texas (In Progress)
Oklahoma Baptist (In Progress)
Tracey Hickman
Rock Creek 12
Redlands 14
Central Oklahoma 16
The Favourite
Wakka

Post by The Favourite »

Update 1/21

D1:

East Central (In Process)
Oklahoma State A (In Process)
Harding (In Process)
Kansas State
New Mexico State
D2:

Central Oklahoma A
Central OKlahoma B
Missouri Valley
North Texas
Oklahoma State B (In Process)
Tulsa A
Tulsa B
Tulsa C
Tracey Hickman
Rock Creek 12
Redlands 14
Central Oklahoma 16
The Favourite
Wakka

Post by The Favourite »

We have pretty much reached our capacity of teams, since I have only been able to get 10 rooms at the college. We could also use a few more staff, if any attending teams have anyone that can read. We will pull our second team if another D2 team is interested in registering.

The Current Field is as follows:

D1:

Harding A
Kansas State A
New Mexico State A
Oklahoma State A
Truman State (In Process)

D2:

Central Oklahoma A
Central Oklahoma B
East Central A
East Central B
Harding B
Kansas State B
Missouri Valley
New Mexico State B
North Texas
Oklahoma
Oklahoma Baptist
Oklahoma State B
Tulsa A
Tulsa B
Tulsa C
Tracey Hickman
Rock Creek 12
Redlands 14
Central Oklahoma 16
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

Is what I've been told about how this tournament was scheduled true? Did you really schedule DI to run for 15 rounds (and DII as well)? If so, that's more than a little bit insane.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
coldstonesteveaustin
Wakka

Post by coldstonesteveaustin »

Also, what's up with East Central B's stats? They seem a little bit wonky, with one round of 46.67 ppb while other rounds had no powers or gets but a positive number of bonus points.
Hidehiro Anto
Menlo School '14
UCLA '18

"Those who cannot remember 'Black Magic Woman' are condemned to repeat it." - Carlos Santayana
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

We're aware of these issues and will fix them before issuing ICT invitations.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
The Favourite
Wakka

Post by The Favourite »

The Two Hearts of Kwasi Boachi wrote:Is what I've been told about how this tournament was scheduled true? Did you really schedule DI to run for 15 rounds (and DII as well)? If so, that's more than a little bit insane.

The reason for the 15 rounds in DI was that we had to guarantee at least 9 games to every team, so the format had to be a triple round robin with only 5 teams. The DII only consisted of 12 rounds, with all but 2 teams playing 11.
Tracey Hickman
Rock Creek 12
Redlands 14
Central Oklahoma 16
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

Picasso's Middle Name wrote:
The Two Hearts of Kwasi Boachi wrote:Is what I've been told about how this tournament was scheduled true? Did you really schedule DI to run for 15 rounds (and DII as well)? If so, that's more than a little bit insane.

The reason for the 15 rounds in DI was that we had to guarantee at least 9 games to every team, so the format had to be a triple round robin with only 5 teams. The DII only consisted of 12 rounds, with all but 2 teams playing 11.
The DII schedule is a bit more reassuring. Tracey, it probably would have worked easier (and not made it so hard on the DI teams participating) if you had entered a house team into DI and just done a double RR (which would have guaranteed 10 games for everybody). If you ever want to ask questions about scheduling, there are a lot of people on the forums who would have gladly helped.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
The Favourite
Wakka

Post by The Favourite »

The Two Hearts of Kwasi Boachi wrote:
Picasso's Middle Name wrote:

The DII schedule is a bit more reassuring. Tracey, it probably would have worked easier (and not made it so hard on the DI teams participating) if you had entered a house team into DI and just done a double RR (which would have guaranteed 10 games for everybody). If you ever want to ask questions about scheduling, there are a lot of people on the forums who would have gladly helped.

This is true. I actually wanted to field a house D1 team, but got negative response from my team, and knew I couldn't play alone. I should have bounced format ideas off of the forums. The format chosen was in accordance with NAQT, however. My apologies for the length of the tournament and the stresses it caused all of the D1 teams in this field.
Tracey Hickman
Rock Creek 12
Redlands 14
Central Oklahoma 16
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Hidehiro Anto wrote:Also, what's up with East Central B's stats? They seem a little bit wonky, with one round of 46.67 ppb while other rounds had no powers or gets but a positive number of bonus points.
This issue has been fixed; let us know if there are any further corrections to the stats.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred