George Oppen at U. Maryland (21 Feb. 2015)

Old college threads.
gaurav.kandlikar
Forums Staff: Moderator

George Oppen at U. Maryland (21 Feb. 2015)

Post by gaurav.kandlikar »

The University of Maryland, College Park, will host a mirror of George Oppen on Saturday, 21 February 2015. The set is a "Nats-minus" set being produced by Auroni Gupta and Stephen Eltinge - refer to their global announcement for details. Everyone is eligible to play this tournament.

Location & Time:
Games will most likely take place in Jimenez Hall on the University of Maryland Campus - this announcement will be updated once we have confirmation. The opening meeting will start promptly at 8.30; rounds will start immediately thereafter.

Fees:
Base Fee: $120 for an open team; $70 for a "collegiate" team (i.e. all players are eligible to play for the school represented by the team)
Buzzer Discount: -$5/fully functional system
Staffer Discount: -$15/staffer (Please email me ahead of time if you plan to bring a moderator)
Travel Discount: -$10/200 miles traveled each way.

Minimum Fee: $30 for an open team, $20 for a collegiate team

Payment:
Please bring cash or a cheque made out to Maryland Academic Quiz Team on the day of the tournament.

Registering:
Email me at [email protected] to register. Please let me know if you are bringing buzzers or staffers. If I don't respond within 2 days, it probably means I've missed your email, so feel free to bother me again.

Field:
1. Maryland A
2. Raje, Vinokurov, Weiner, Jackson
3. Bailey, Spencer, Carson, beloved 13th-century mystic Ike Jose
4. UPenn A
5. UPenn B
6. Hart, Steinbaum, Marnold, elder Kandlikar
7. Silver Screen Test All Stars (Brick Barrientos &c.)
8. Stanford (Brownlow, Liu, Desai, Sutherlin)
9. Teitler, Westbrook, Lafer, Magin
10. U. Virginia
11. U. Chicago A
12. U. Chicago B
13. Maryland B + Free agents?
Total: 12-13

Free agents:
David Seal
Doug Graebner

See you in February!

EDIT: added a minimum fee to cover mirroring cost
Gaurav Kandlikar
UCLA
Member of ACF and PACE
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: George Oppen at U. Maryland (21 Feb. 2015)

Post by theMoMA »

Looking into coming. Is anyone looking for teammates? Email me if so!

EDIT: Marshall and I are seeking teammates!
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Gonzagapuma1
Tidus

Post by Gonzagapuma1 »

So, there are going to be side events as well here, but I need to know what people are interested in so we can get a schedule going.

Here are the things that are definitely happening:

Impossible Speedchecks: Written by the UMD team. Cost will be $5 per person, with $4 going to PACE. I have pretty much no idea what the distribution will be, but I think it will be pretty close to standard. We are open to suggestions on format. If you are interested in mirroring this at another Oppen site email me.

Here are the things that I think are happening:

Eyes That Do Not See

I think COMICS might be done by then too. I feel like I'm missing something, so let me know if you have a side event you want to run or have heard of a side event that you want to play!
Dan Puma
Alum: Gonzaga, Montgomery College, University of Maryland
Currently Unaffiliated
MAQT President-ish, 2014-2015
Champion of the Modern World, 2014
Former Member, PACE
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

gaurav.kandlikar wrote:Bailey, Spencer, Carson, ???
Unless tragedy strikes, our fourth should be beloved 13th-century mystic Ike Jose.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

To clarify, I'm going to try to finish COMICS for this, but I also have CHB and MUT to work on, so COMICS could end up half-assed and filled with bad ideas.

Wait a minute, that's what it's going to be anyway! HAHAHAHAHA. #kingofzing
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas »

Hey everyone, while digging through Maryland's packet archives, I found a lone packet labelled 1997 ISSAC. It's pretty weird, and I don't think it's ever been seen before, so I'll read it if there's interest.
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

Is there a list of free agents looking for teams somewhere?
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
gaurav.kandlikar

theMoMA wrote:Is there a list of free agents looking for teams somewhere?
I will maintain a list of free agents in the top post. I haven't heard from anyone yet.
Gaurav Kandlikar
UCLA
Member of ACF and PACE
Demonic Leftovers
Wakka

Post by Demonic Leftovers »

I'm hoping to play this. If anyone needs teammates, send me a PM.
TWO TIME NATIONAL CHAMPION David A. Seal, Esq.
QUINTUPLE CROWN WINNER: ICT/ICT/NHB/NHB/CULT
Coach of 2014 and 2015 ICT Champion UVA
University of Chicago '10
University of Virginia School of Law '13
Not Every Team Can Afford Me
Coattail Rider
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

Currently a free agent seeking a team barring unforseen circumstances.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
gaurav.kandlikar

I am sorry to be abrupt about this, but due to packet and staffing restrictions, I will close registration now. The final field will be the one listed in the top post. I will get in touch with the people who have expressed interest as free-agents to work something out.

I think I have already communicated with everyone interested in this event, but email me if this field closing throws a wrench into your plans.
Gaurav Kandlikar
UCLA
Member of ACF and PACE
setht
Auron

Post by setht »

Any updates on side event line-up and schedule?

-Seth
Seth Teitler
Formerly UC Berkeley and U. Chicago
President of NAQT
Emeritus member of ACF
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Seth Teitler I'm sure is mortified to discover that COMICS will not be happening at this tournament due to other responsibilities.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
gaurav.kandlikar

setht wrote:Any updates on side event line-up and schedule?

-Seth
The plan right now is to run Eyes immediately after the main event on Saturday. Impossible Speedcheck will follow Eyes. We will decide on the format for the speedcheck based on interest.

With the postponement of COMICS, Cottage Bowl and a mini-tournament (?) written by Isaac Hirsch are the only events on the Sunday schedule.

For now, please add your name to this spreadsheet to indicate your interest in the side-events. I will need to grant access to the spreadsheet before you can edit it. Meanwhile, everyone can view the sheet here.

Feel free to comment on the schedule here.
Gaurav Kandlikar
UCLA
Member of ACF and PACE
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

Cody's hoping to run his electrical engineering tournament at some point over the weekend.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
Frauny Von Smiley
Wakka

Post by Frauny Von Smiley »

I sent in an email expressing an interest to register for this if there is still space but I received no response.
Sean Smiley

VCU '13

William & Mary Law '16
gaurav.kandlikar

Frauny Von Smiley wrote:I sent in an email expressing an interest to register for this if there is still space but I received no response.
Sorry, responded to this just now.

I have added a tab for Cody's Electrical Engineering set in the side-events sign up sheet. It sounds like people want this to happen on Saturday evening. We might have to run Eyes and the EE set in parallel to make sure we get done at a reasonable time.
Gaurav Kandlikar
UCLA
Member of ACF and PACE
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas »

Real quickly-- the packet is essentially a comedy packet, ostensibly written in 1997, where almost every question is a joke in some way. It follows a roughly normal distribution. It's free to play because I would never think of charging for it.
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

In an effort to figure out side events, here's what appears to be on the table:

Impossible Speedcheck: unknown length/time
Eyes That Do Not See: ~100 questions (90 minutes to 2 hours)
Cody's EE tournament: 120 tossups (60-75 minutes)
Isaac's thing: 1 packet (30 minutes?)

The big events are, of course, Oppen and Cottage Bowl.

Some thoughts on Saturday:

* Presumably, Oppen will be a 13-match round robin with finals if necessary. Assuming 35 minutes per round, and just over an hour for lunch, that's about 9 hours pre-finals. If we start at 9am, finals would start at around 6pm.
* If we hustle, Eyes or Impossible Speedcheck could probably be run on Saturday night starting at around 7:30pm.
* It seems unlikely that both Eyes and Impossible Speedcheck could be run on Saturday night.

Some thoughts on Sunday:

* Cottage Bowl will presumably be a 12-match round robin with finals if necessary. Assuming 30 minutes per round (I'm guessing it'll go faster with shorter and probably easier questions), plus an hour or so for lunch, we're looking at finals starting at around 4pm.
* It seems reasonable to assume that a side event could start at 5:30pm on Sunday night, assuming enough people are still around and interested.

Some general thoughts:

* Playing Isaac's thing over lunch on Saturday or Sunday seems to make sense.
* Playing Cody's event over lunch on the non-ISSAC day seems to make sense. (People would need to hustle to make sure it happens quickly enough. But Cody's a fast reader and the format would almost certainly be a shootout, so I don't see much of a challenge to getting through ~120 questions in close to an hour.)
* Because Cody's event is longer, and because there's more flexibility in the Sunday schedule, it probably makes the most sense for Isaac's thing to happen at Saturday lunch and Cody's event to happen at Sunday lunch.
* Because it looks like only one slot is available on Saturday night, and because there might not be enough people around on Sunday after Cottage Bowl, it may not be possible to run both Eyes and Impossible Speedcheck at times when there are enough interested people able to play.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Gonzagapuma1
Tidus

Post by Gonzagapuma1 »

Thanks for the post, Andrew. This definitely needs to get worked out.

The current plan is for this schedule on Saturday:
Oppen 9-6
EYES and Cody's tournament: 6:15-7:30
Speedcheck: 7:30-9:30

I know it seems a little crazy to run until 9:30, but many people have expressed interest for these events on Saturday only. We will order pizza/drinks that will be available for a small (break-even) fee. This schedule is not set in stone and if this seems dumb/unrealistic please post and say so.

I really hate the idea of running something during lunch the day of Oppen (the decision about this lies with Gaurav, btw). It's a 13+ round day already and I would hate for people to have wait around after lunch while people play a side tournament.

Here are the details on Speedcheck:
I think we'll have about 15 packets with 30 speedchecks each. They're a little longer than Andrew's speedchecks and range from Regular-ish to impossible (duh). Current plan is for this to be a drafted team event (quads if there are enough people).
Dan Puma
Currently Unaffiliated
Former Member, PACE
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Post by Cody »

Fwiw, I've been rather distracted by work and other quizbowl writing, so it's looking like Claude Shannon will only have 4 or 5 finished packets when run at Oppen (depends on how much time I can make next week, as I need to finish ~34 questions to have 5 complete). So, it'll take an hour or less, yes.

I likewise don't like the idea of lunch events, as a lot of people have stated a preference for Saturday events. It makes more sense to make the lunch break shorter and gain back some time on Saturday, so that more events can be run (especially since Claude Shannon is currently being cross-scheduled w/ Eyes, so you lose no time there).
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Your instinct to order in food is a good one; any opportunity to let people go get dinner on their own, if past precedent is any guide, will result in many of them not coming back even for events they were previously interested in.

Is there any reason not to err on the side of caution by just starting earlier on Saturday, say, at 8:30, and being really intense with teams about showing up early rather than on time so we can start when everyone's there? I know we'll have a good moderating staff, but there's no reason not to just get the ball rolling sooner rather than later. (I also would not mind a reduction of lunch to 45 minutes or so.)
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
gaurav.kandlikar

Thanks, Andrew, for getting this rolling. I have been swamped with other work lately, but I will send out more details this Friday.

There won't be any lunch side events on Saturday. I agree with Matt J. re: starting early, and will stress this in the info emails.
Gaurav Kandlikar
UCLA
Member of ACF and PACE
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Post by gyre and gimble »

Cody wrote:Fwiw, I've been rather distracted by work and other quizbowl writing, so it's looking like Claude Shannon will only have 4 or 5 finished packets when run at Oppen (depends on how much time I can make next week, as I need to finish ~34 questions to have 5 complete). So, it'll take an hour or less, yes.
Considering the difficulty of the set, wouldn't it be safer to schedule around 2 hours for 5 packets? Presumably a lot of the questions will go to the end.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

Gonzagapuma1 wrote:The current plan is for this schedule on Saturday:
Oppen 9-6
EYES and Cody's tournament: 6:15-7:30
Speedcheck: 7:30-9:30
Even if you guys are planning to grab dinner for everyone, this seems...bullish. Even the generous assumption that Oppen concludes precisely at 6pm (which, if there are one or especially two finals matches, seems unlikely to me based on my calculations above) still requires people to wrap up Oppen, coordinate and begin to eat food/drinks, funnel into whatever room setups are required for Eyes and Cody's tournament, and begin playing in 15 minutes. I don't really see that happening.

Assuming a more reasonable endtime of around 6:30-6:45 for Oppen after finals, and another 20-30 minutes of typical hoi polloi-based confusion, I think it's likely that the start of the first side event will occur closer to 7:30 than 6:15, which is obviously not a good thing for this schedule.

I also think 75 minutes is a pretty bullish runtime for Eyes, especially if there are multiple rooms (Cody's event, if it's tossups read in a single room shootout style, seems like it will take about that long). That's to say nothing of the planned instantaneous transition between those events, when Impossible Speedcheck will apparently be a team event involving a draft.

I realize I've nearly reached c. 2012 Yale levels of pontification here, but it's all for a good purpose: I don't want to be standing around at 9:30 wondering when the hell Impossible Speedcheck is going to happen. So here are some suggestions. (1) Move up the start of registration for the main event so it can begin precisely at 8:30. (2) Make sure that people are absolute in their understanding to proceed from Oppen awards to food to Eyes/Cody's event as quickly as possible. (3) Set up the rooms for Cody's thing and Eyes ahead of time, while people are playing Oppen finals. (4) Conduct the Impossible Speedcheck draft online ahead of time. (5) Still plan to be playing Impossible Speedcheck til 10pm.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Galadedrid Damodred
Wakka

Post by Galadedrid Damodred »

Since I am the only person who has put down "definitely want to play" for Claude Shannon, and Cody hasn't had time to write more than 4-5 packets, is anyone opposed to delaying that until ICT or ACF Nationals, or just running it on Skype/IRC sometime?
Austin Brownlow
Louisville '14, Stanford '16
Gonzagapuma1
Tidus

Post by Gonzagapuma1 »

theMoMA wrote:Even if you guys are planning to grab dinner for everyone, this seems...bullish. Even the generous assumption that Oppen concludes precisely at 6pm (which, if there are one or especially two finals matches, seems unlikely to me based on my calculations above) still requires people to wrap up Oppen, coordinate and begin to eat food/drinks, funnel into whatever room setups are required for Eyes and Cody's tournament, and begin playing in 15 minutes. I don't really see that happening.

Assuming a more reasonable endtime of around 6:30-6:45 for Oppen after finals, and another 20-30 minutes of typical hoi polloi-based confusion, I think it's likely that the start of the first side event will occur closer to 7:30 than 6:15, which is obviously not a good thing for this schedule.

I also think 75 minutes is a pretty bullish runtime for Eyes, especially if there are multiple rooms (Cody's event, if it's tossups read in a single room shootout style, seems like it will take about that long). That's to say nothing of the planned instantaneous transition between those events, when Impossible Speedcheck will apparently be a team event involving a draft.

I realize I've nearly reached c. 2012 Yale levels of pontification here, but it's all for a good purpose: I don't want to be standing around at 9:30 wondering when the hell Impossible Speedcheck is going to happen. So here are some suggestions. (1) Move up the start of registration for the main event so it can begin precisely at 8:30. (2) Make sure that people are absolute in their understanding to proceed from Oppen awards to food to Eyes/Cody's event as quickly as possible. (3) Set up the rooms for Cody's thing and Eyes ahead of time, while people are playing Oppen finals. (4) Conduct the Impossible Speedcheck draft online ahead of time. (5) Still plan to be playing Impossible Speedcheck til 10pm.
So, I pretty much agree with everything you've said here and I will go ahead and implement 2,3,4 and 5.

Here are a few pleas:

Please show up before 8:30. Please sign-up for the events on the spreadsheets. This will help us immensely and make it so the draft won't get screwed up. Please be ready to stay until at least 10.

FYI, there is an after party.
Dan Puma
Currently Unaffiliated
Former Member, PACE
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

I humbly suggest doing some sort of shootout or "move up / down" every 30 questions or so (a la Guerrilla Lit) for speedchecks, because drafts take forever and are awful.
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
Auks Ran Ova

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Drafts really don't take that long with a fairly insider-y event like this. Determine the number of teams and the captains ahead of time and it won't be that much of a challenge.

EDIT: Didn't see Andrew's post--an online draft is even easier and will take less time.
Rob Carson
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

So, it appears that marnold has become m&arnold, and won't be able to make the tournament. Anyone still looking for a team and want to play with Marshall, Gautam, and me?
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
silverscreentest
Lulu

Post by silverscreentest »

I'll be running my science fiction side event Sunday after Cottage Bowl. Information here.

My team also has room on Saturday for one free agent. PM me or email me at brick at silverscreentest dot com.
Auks Ran Ova

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Requesting the team name "O Iblis, I long for what is not there" for either this or the trash tournament, please.

EDIT: Or "Amidst the calyx, wasps copulate". Or both! Your call.
Rob Carson
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Muriel Axon
Tidus

Post by Muriel Axon »

By 2018, all team/bracket names will be somehow related to Shantanu.
Shan Kothari

Plymouth High School '10
Michigan State University '14
University of Minnesota '20
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Post by The Ununtiable Twine »

Muriel Axon wrote:By 2018, all team/bracket names will be somehow related to Shantanu.
Come on, you know there are some folks out there who would prefer to use stuff from my godawful novel instead, Shantanu be damned!
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
Brian McPeak
Lulu

Post by Brian McPeak »

There will be a party at my house after speed checks. I'd like at least a vague idea of who's coming so let me know via pm and I'll give you my address.

Bring your own drinks, especially if you want Chris Ray to make you a historical-figure themed mixed drink.
Brian McPeak
University of Maryland
Gonzagapuma1
Tidus

Post by Gonzagapuma1 »

Matthew Jackson wrote:I humbly suggest doing some sort of shootout or "move up / down" every 30 questions or so (a la Guerrilla Lit) for speedchecks, because drafts take forever and are awful.
We're going to implement for this speedcheck since it makes things a lot easier. We'll have two seeding packets followed by 12 rounds (or less if people want to call it quits). We'll have four rooms, with each room containing a roughly equal number of people. After every two packets, the bottom half of the scorers will move down (unless in the bottom room) and the top half will move up (unless in the top room). Scoring is as follows (based on Jordan Brownstein's calculations):

Top Room: (32) - (-12)
Second Room: (16) - (-6)
Third Room: (6) - (-3)
Fourth Room: (2) - (-1)
Dan Puma
Currently Unaffiliated
Former Member, PACE
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Since there are 13 people signed up for Eyes, would it be better to run two rooms and break into a upper/lower bracket halfway through? I've always found 10+ people in a shootout to be non-ideal.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Gonzagapuma1
Tidus

Post by Gonzagapuma1 »

gyre and gimble wrote:Since there are 13 people signed up for Eyes, would it be better to run two rooms and break into a upper/lower bracket halfway through? I've always found 10+ people in a shootout to be non-ideal.
It would be better to run two rooms, but that depends on staff and, more pressingly, computer limitations. I'll make an assessment on Saturday morning before Oppen.
Dan Puma
Currently Unaffiliated
Former Member, PACE
Gonzagapuma1
Tidus

Post by Gonzagapuma1 »

Pizza after main event and during EYES details:

It will be $5 for two slices and soda/water. Please find me before Oppen and pay. I will order extra for those who forget, decide to stay, etc.
Dan Puma
Currently Unaffiliated
Former Member, PACE
gaurav.kandlikar

Andrew probably meant to post this here, not in the Columbia thread:
Andrew, in the Columbia thread wrote:I believe we have a marnold-shaped hole on our team.

Everyone who received a logistics email from me last week should expect to receive another email with a few reminders later today.
Gaurav Kandlikar
UCLA
Member of ACF and PACE
ObsidianFoot
Lulu

Post by ObsidianFoot »

My apologies for the last-minute notice, but I would be happy to volunteer my services as a staffer, if they are desired.
Charles Tian
University of Chicago, 2014

ACF Nationals 2013 Undergraduate Champion

"You should have seized power, Tian!" --Rob Carson, 2012 National History Bee and Bowl
Tees-Exe Line
Tidus

Post by Tees-Exe Line »

YESSSSSSSS all of Chicago from forever shall be there tomorrow.
Marshall I. Steinbaum

Oxford University (2002-2005)
University of Chicago (2008-2014)
University of Utah (2019- )

Get in the elevator.
gaurav.kandlikar

Gaurav Kandlikar
UCLA
Member of ACF and PACE
gaurav.kandlikar

Team "Martha Stewart's Lime Privilege" (Matt Jackson, Tejas Raje, Jerry Vinokurov, and Matt Weiner) won the first game of an advantaged final over Stanford (Austin Brownlow, Nikhil Desai, Stephen Liu, and Kyle Sutherlin) to win the tournament. Final stats can be found here: all prelim games; prelim games plus final.

Many many thanks to our awesome staffing corps: Ben Herman, Marisol Brady, Charles Tian, Dennis Loo, Bruce Arthur, Zeke Berdichevsky, Isaac Hirsch, Naveed Chowdhury, Emma Stevens, Cody Voight, Sarah Angelo, Aaron Rosenberg, and Logan Anbinder.

Thanks to Auroni, Stephen and Mike for producing a set that attracted such a fantastic field to our site. Finally, thanks to everyone who travelled near and far to compete here!
Gaurav Kandlikar
UCLA
Member of ACF and PACE
Eddie
Rikku

Post by Eddie »

What happened to team "O Iblis, I long for what is not there"?
Eddie
he/him/his/hine
UCSD, UCLA
Auks Ran Ova

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Dmitri Shostakovich wrote:What happened to team "O Iblis, I long for what is not there"?
We switched back to a better name.
Rob Carson
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Thanks to Maryland for hosting what can only be described as a rip-rollicking good time. Things ran relatively smoothly across four events in one day, the food order actually worked out well despite the snow, and lots of EXCITING matches and shootouts occurred. In particular, the Impossible Speedchecks were utterly amazing, and provided the most whimsy / raw unadulterated joy I've had playing any single quizbowl-like event in years. And I'm told that there are EVEN MORE to be read at some future date!

Without spoiling any content for upcoming mirrors: I think it is worth saying in a public-facing post that there is no honest way to describe George Oppen's difficulty as "Nats-minus." While the set wasn't a bad set, it would have been much more accurate to advertise it as "Nats-plus" or even "CO-minus" -- I suspect that a colleges-only national championship played on these questions would be something of a muddy battlefield even at the very top, and it would have been good for attending teams to know that in advance.
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
gyre and gimble
Yuna

We played Eyes, and Doug won. The format was starting out in two rooms, then taking the top 4 or 5 in each room after 50 tossups and combining. Final standings were determined by the scoring in the second half, and the bottom playoff room didn't keep score. So here are the stats that I have:

Tossups 1-50

Room 1
Stephen Liu - 9/11/7 - 210
Doug Graebner - 9/7/3 - 190
John Lawrence - 0/8/1 - 75
Jordan Brownstein - 1/2/1 - 30
Matt Jackson - 1/1/3 - 10
Matt Weiner - 0/1/0 - 10
Tejas Raje - 0/0/0 - 0
Chris Manners - 0/0/0 - 0

Room 2
Athena Kern - 3/8/5 - 100
Chris Ray - 3/7/7 - 80
Rob Carson - 2/2/1 - 45
Bernadette Spencer - 2/3/4 - 40
Max Schindler - 0/3/1 - 25
Seth Teitler - 0/3/1 - 25
Sam Bailey - 2/1/4 - 20
Ike Jose - 2/0/4 - 10
Marianna Zhang - 0/1/0 - 10
Marshall Steinbaum - 2/1/7 - 5

Tossups 51-100

Doug Graebner - 9/8/4 - 195
Stephen Liu - 10/3/10 - 130
Chris Ray - 1/4/4 - 35
Rob Carson - 1/2/1 - 30
John Lawrence - 2/0/1 - 25
Athena Kern - 1/1/2 - 15
Jordan Brownstein - 0/2/2 - 10
Seth Teitler - 0/0/1 - -5
Bernadette Spencer - 0/0/5 - -25

Congrats to Doug, and thanks to Mike Bentley for building a truly entertaining and, I think, educational set of questions year in and year out.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Gonzagapuma1
Tidus

Post by Gonzagapuma1 »

I'll hopefully have the Speedcheck stats by tomorrow night, but Matt Jackson almost certainly won. Thanks to everyone for braving the crazy weather and staying to play it. We hope you guys had as much fun playing as we did writing/reading it.
Dan Puma
Currently Unaffiliated
Former Member, PACE
Gautam
Auron

Post by Gautam »

Thanks to Maryland folks for hosting this event. Things went pretty smoothly, and I'm glad everyone was able to fit in a lot of side events.
Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.