George Oppen @ Queens University, 2/28

Old college threads.
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

George Oppen @ Queens University, 2/28

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

Hi everyone!

The George Oppen mirror for Ontario and surroundings will be held at Queens University, in Kingston Ontario, on February 28th, 2014. Please email 11pa22 queensu.ca cc'ing joesu235 gmail.com if you're interested in staffing or playing this tournament.

This is the fee structure.
Base Fee: $120 for open teams, $70 for college teams
Working Buzzers: -$10/set
Moderators: -$20/person (must be pre-checked with me)
Scorekeepers: -$10/person
Travel Discount - -$10/150 kilometers, one way
International Discount - -$10/border crossing, one way
Minimum Fee: $60 for open teams, $40 for college teams.

This tournament is on the hard side, and is open, meaning a team can consist of whatever four people it wants to. However, a team consisting of only players registered for the same educational institution will receive a discount in the entry fee. For more details of the set, see the original tournament announcement here.

The specific building and room information will be posted in this thread as soon as its known.
Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020
p-vs-vp
Lulu

Re: George Oppen @ Queens University, 2/28

Post by p-vs-vp »

Since when does Queen's have an active club? (genuine question, it would be the bomb.com if the moderators didn't FZ this)
Arjun Sondhi
VP of Public Relations, Leslie's Miscellaneous Treats
University of Washington, 2014-present
University of Waterloo, 2009-2014

"Can you dance like a hippogriff?
Ma ma ma, ma ma ma, ma ma ma"

But I WANT to be stupid!
Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer
Rikku

Post by Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer »

p-vs-vp wrote:Since when does Queen's have an active club? (genuine question, it would be the bomb.com if the moderators didn't FZ this)
Will Sanna has been at Queen's for a while now, and was prodded into hosting this by Joe Su.

It's great to see the inter-University cooperation, though, and all Canadian players should support Queen's fledgling club by coming to play this tournament (thus proving bag-filled idiocy isn't all that Canadians are capable of).

On that note, Waterloo would like to register a team of some combination of players that are not me.
Aayush Rajasekaran (he/him or she/her)
University of Waterloo, 2016
University of Waterloo, 2018
Theodore
Wakka

Post by Theodore »

Cameron Amini and I are free agents looking for teammates; contact me (email preferably) if you're interested in playing with us.
Ted (Ze Feng) Gan
The Pennsylvania State University, 2025
The Pennsylvania State University, 2021
Carleton University, 2019
Colonel By Secondary School, 2015

Former Executive Member of the Ontario Quizbowl Association (ONQBA), 2015-16
Former NAQT Writer, 2013-2016
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Rooms booked are some of the D and E rooms in Mackintosh-Corry hall, the same place ONQBA provincials was held in 2013. The meeting room will most likely be D216. I will sort out some details with Queen's in the coming days, including how many staffers they can commit. I am also looking to start this tournament later than usual if GTA teams are coming in Saturday morning, say 9:30 meeting 9:45 start still allows 10+ rounds though 5pm and the furthest currently registered team to leave at 6am. If for some reason, there is a shortage of staffers, the same situation we saw at this summer's Texas Bowl, we can force an odd number of teams, and have the bye team read a room.

Please come! Queen's is new to the circuit and it would be wonderful if you could support their club. Besides, there's this the following day.

Also, please register by emailing BOTH emails listed in the original post. I haven't integrated Queen's into the forums, and that's the only way they'll know who to expect.

Current Field:

Carleton
McMaster
Huma and Brendan
Ted and Cameron
Waterloo
Jordan, Aauysh, et al.
Free agents:
Joe Su, OCT
minusfive
Rikku

Post by minusfive »

Not terribly important, but inquiring minds want to know...
Will there be book prizes? Will there be a neg prize? How much is the parking fee in the structure next to Mac-Corry/Victoria Hall? Which buffet dining halls (Ban Righ/Leonard Hall) will be open, and how much are they?

Incredibly tired Internet meme edited out of this post. --the mgmt

Happy Family Day!
Jordan Palmer, Nick Penner's Hero.

Pass by, and curse thy fill, but pass and stay not here thy gait.
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

minusfive wrote: Will there be book prizes? Will there be a neg prize? How much is the parking fee in the structure next to Mac-Corry/Victoria Hall? Which buffet dining halls (Ban Righ/Leonard Hall) will be open, and how much are they?
I will let the Queen's club know of these questions and make an update as soon as I receive the information.
Joe Su, OCT
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Here are some updates.

Queens will have 5 staffers, which is awesome up to 7 teams. If other people are willing to staff that would be great. We currently have six teams registered. From prior experience, and the fact that many people have registered in pairs, it seems like there will still be team building on the day of. We will collapse to 5 teams or expand to 7 teams if it is feasible, and helps out the staffing situation quite a bit.

Lunch at this tournament will be of two choices - a buffet, and a cafeteria with fast-food options. Pizza delivery is of course another option. Current and ex- Queen's students will lead everyone to these locations.

There will be prizes as usual.

I am still looking to start this tournament's opening meeting promptly at 9:30, unless the weather's bad. I will update info on weather-related delays.
Joe Su, OCT
TheRhymeMinister
Wakka

Post by TheRhymeMinister »

Thanks to Queen's (and Joe Su) for putting on the tournament! Always exciting to see more school's getting involved. The tournament was well run, lunch was delicious, and overall today was a largely enjoyable experience.
The Nick Penner
Waterloo Collegiate Institute '10
Carleton University '15
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

The tournament was really challenging but in a good way. Stats are here. Jordan Palmer's team won. We split 4/2 after these prelims. Full stats will be up eventually.

Thanks for teams coming out to Queen's!
Joe Su, OCT
Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

Fun tournament, Queen's et al.! Although the tournament was challenging, it was an amusing day and other than those mint icing-covered scrambled eggs at lunch, I would 10/10 do it again. Now, Joe, can you post real stats instead of a blank page? I wanna see my 15ish ppg in all its glory.
Jay Misuk
McMaster University, 2009, 2010, 2016
University of Toronto, 2011, 2017, 2022
MEd. (Educational Linguistics) MSc. (CogSciLing), Hon. BA (Linguistics), BA (History), BEd. (History, Geography, Music, Math, Soc. Sci, Law, Latin)

Tri-national competitor; tri-national neg champion.
To quote the ephemeral Jordan Palmer - "There is no shame, only points"
the third garrideb
Wakka

Post by the third garrideb »

This was indeed fun. Thanks Joe and Queens and everyone who staffed yesterday!
Huma Zafar
University of Waterloo alumna
Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer
Rikku

Post by Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer »

Lots of fun was had! Thanks to my team, the staffers and everyone who braved this very fun set!

Also, stats correction: The substitutions of the newly-renamed Team Cody Voight hasn't been handled correctly. For instance, Jordan did not play all 5 games of the prelims. Perhaps someone can go over the scoresheets to see what's what?
Aayush Rajasekaran (he/him or she/her)
University of Waterloo, 2016
University of Waterloo, 2018
minusfive
Rikku

Post by minusfive »

Just want to echo all the comments above. A big thanks to Joe Su for organizing, our devoted readers Christine, Britney, and the Queen's team (whose names I don't know but whom I hope to see again at many more events), and all the competitors! A very fun day, and certainly a challenging one!
Jordan Palmer, Nick Penner's Hero.

Pass by, and curse thy fill, but pass and stay not here thy gait.
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

odin_envy_me wrote:Lots of fun was had! Thanks to my team, the staffers and everyone who braved this very fun set!

Also, stats correction: The substitutions of the newly-renamed Team Cody Voight hasn't been handled correctly. For instance, Jordan did not play all 5 games of the prelims. Perhaps someone can go over the scoresheets to see what's what?
Fixed and complete stats will be up after I find a way to recover the contents of my laptop's hard drive. RIP laptop.
Joe Su, OCT