MUT @ UCF 4/11/15

Old college threads.
bradleykirksey
Wakka

MUT @ UCF 4/11/15

Post by bradleykirksey »

Hello everybody!

We're excited to announce that we'll be hosting MUT this year. The date 4/11/15 is still maybe tentative but it's 95%+ likely to be that day. We'll confirm it as soon as we can. Chris Borglum has graciously offered to TD but the tournament will be on the UCF campus.

As the name implies, this tournament is open to all undergraduates but not grad students. So, everyone in the circuit but Zach. This isn't ACF rules because all of you tenth year seniors can play as long as you don't have your degrees.

The base fee is going to be $100 with a $10 buzzer discount, a $10 discount for new or high school teams, and a $35 minimum fee. Cash and check are preferable but Mickey will take payment in forms of foot rubs.

Hopefully we'll see all of you there. It'll be fun. There'll be donuts. And probably some sort of bizarre neg prize and more Scientology propaganda. Comment on here or email me at [email protected] to register.
Bradley Kirksey
Mayor of quiz bowl at the University of Central Florida (2010-2015)
The club at Reformed Theology Seminary Orlando (2017 - 2021)
Florida Gateway
Lulu

Re: MUT @ UCF 4/11/15

Post by Florida Gateway »

Brad,

Are you still 95% on the 4/11? Or can you confirm that date? I have to start travel paperwork if I'm to get a team there.
James Givvines
Coach at Florida Gateway College
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Confirm that date, James.
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
dgriley
Kimahri

Post by dgriley »

Who do we make institutional checks out to?
Darrell G. Riley, Brain Bowl coach at the College of Central Florida
"Well done is better than well said" -- Benjamin Franklin
sychipola
Lulu

Post by sychipola »

Chipola will be there with 2 teams.
Stan Young, Chipola College
willis1
Lulu

Post by willis1 »

Is there a discount or room for moderators
Benjamin Willis
President University of Florida Quiz Bowl
[email protected]
(813)-562-3402
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

To answer your question, Benji, we have more than enough moderators, so we're don't need any more.

Field Update:
UCF 3
Valencia 2
Chipola 2
South Florida College 2
SCF-Manatee 2
CFC
FSCJax
Santa Fe
Gateway
Seminole
UF 2
Chris Borglum
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

So it looks like we're solid at 18 teams for the MUT Mirror at UCF. We'll do three brackets of six, have lunch and rebracketing, and then four more guaranteed games. A number of the CC teams want to be out by 6 pm if possible.
Chris Borglum
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Now NOT AT UCF!!!! Due to the difficulties and potential delays (in my perception) from using two buildings a quarter mile apart, we've moved this tournament to Valencia's West Campus. It's still putatively UCF's tournament (ie, they get the money and pay the mirror fees!). Everyone who's attending has been e-mailed, so we'll see you by 9:45 am at Valencia West, Building 9.
Chris Borglum
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

UF A beat UF B to clear the field and win the MUT Mirror hosted by UCF at Valencia. The set had lots of creative answer lines and cool ideas, and some cool ideas that may not have been executed ideally (in my humble estimation, of course). There were quite a bit of typos which were probably noted at other sites, but I tried to keep track and will share with Rob et al. But thanks to everyone who helped create the set; a good time was had by all.

Stats: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... stats/all/

PS: The "James M" who topped the scoring while only playing two rounds is a professor/coach from Central Florida College whom we asked to play as Chipola Blue when their team had to take off before the final two rounds. So the top scorer is Cassandra Logan, and on down the line.
Chris Borglum
Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Tossup
Kimahri

Post by Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Tossup »

Wow, based on those stats this tournament looked like it would have been really, really fun to play against that field -- definitely wish me and Naim could have been there for this one. Congrats to UF A! Can't wait to see this set when it comes out, MUT Mirror last year was my first exposure to Difficult High School/Easy Collegiate and was really an eye opener and a lot of fun. Hopefully I will see you all at this event next year while playing for whatever four year college I end up at :)
Michael Moore Jr.
President/Captain, State College of Florida - Manatee