MUT @ MIT (May 2, 2015)

Old college threads.
t-bar
Tidus

MUT @ MIT (May 2, 2015)

Post by t-bar »

MIT will host a mirror of the Minnesota Undergraduate Tournament on Saturday, May 2. As usual, MUT will be a slightly below-regular tournament, somewhere between ACF Fall and regular-difficulty tournaments. Eligibility will be restricted to current high school and undergraduate students; graduate students and others who do not meet standard undergraduate qualification requirements may not play.

Fees:
Base fee: $120 per team
Working buzzer discount: -$5 each
Approved moderator discount: -$10 each (grad student players: consider tagging along to staff!)
Travel discount: -$15 (more than 200 miles one way according to Google maps)

We can accept payment on the day of the tournament in the form of cash or checks made out to "MIT Quiz Bowl Team".

To register, email me at [email protected] with the number of teams, buzzers (if any), and moderators (if any) you are bringing, as well as a cell phone number at which we can contact you on the day of the tournament. If you need an invoice, we can provide one. Posts in this thread will be considered expressions of interest, but you must email me the preceding information to be considered officially registered. Due to our current room reservation, we are setting an initial field cap of 16 teams. We may be able to go beyond this cap if there is interest, but we can't guarantee it.

Check-in on the morning of the tournament will run from 8:30 to 9:00 AM in room 4-270, which is located on the second floor of MIT's Building 4. Games will start as soon as possible after everyone has arrived.

For teams unfamiliar with traveling to Boston, you should know that while MIT is easily accessible by public transit, parking on campus is extremely limited. There is a small parking lot at 139 Massachusetts Avenue (on the corner of Massachusetts Avenue and Vassar Street) that several teams have used in the past; other information about parking is available here. On public transportation, take the Red Line to the Kendall/MIT stop, which is marked along with building 4 on this map.
Stephen Eltinge
Then: TJ, MIT, Yale, PACE, NAQT
Now: ACF
t-bar
Tidus

Re: MUT @ MIT (May 2, 2015)

Post by t-bar »

Field:
Amherst (2 teams)
Boston College (1 team, 1 buzzer)
Carnegie Mellon (1 team, 1 buzzer)
Dartmouth (1 team, 1 buzzer, 1 moderator)
Harvard (2 teams, 1 buzzer)
Northeastern (1 team, 1 buzzer, 1 moderator)

TOTAL: 8 teams, 6 buzzers, 2 moderators
Last edited by t-bar on Fri May 01, 2015 8:45 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Stephen Eltinge
t-bar
Tidus

Post by t-bar »

Since 12 is a good number of teams, I'm going to tentatively close the field. If you're interested in coming and haven't registered yet, do still email me; I'll let more teams in if it makes another good field number.
Stephen Eltinge
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

Since we only have 10 teams now, what's the planned schedule for the tournament? Playing a round-robin with only 9 prelim games would be okay, though I'd find it rather disappointing - I can't remember the last time I played fewer than ten games at a collegiate tournament.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
t-bar
Tidus

Post by t-bar »

Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote:Since we only have 10 teams now, what's the planned schedule for the tournament? Playing a round-robin with only 9 prelim games would be okay, though I'd find it rather disappointing - I can't remember the last time I played fewer than ten games at a collegiate tournament.
I just sent out a logistical email about this, but we will probably do a round-robin followed by a 4/3/3 split.
Stephen Eltinge
t-bar
Tidus

Post by t-bar »

Dartmouth took both games of an advantaged final against Harvard B to emerge victorious. Andrew Nadig from Carnegie Mellon was the top scorer.

Stats: prelims, playoffs.

Thanks to all the teams for coming!
Stephen Eltinge