VCU Open Mirror at Valencia (August 22)

Old college threads.
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

VCU Open Mirror at Valencia (August 22)

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Valencia College in The City Beautiful will host a mirror of the VCU Open on Saturday, August 22. We'll plan to start matches at 10:15 a.m. and hope to be done by 6:00 p.m.

We'll set a base fee of $60/team, cash money (or check made out to me), with a $10 discount for bringing a buzzer. This is just going to cover the mirror fee and some refreshments, as it's important to stay hydrated when quizzing it up.

As always, I expect our field to be mostly made up of Florida CC teams (and grads and coaches), but we'd be thrilled to have some folks from around the country come down. Eric Douglass and Jake Sundberg--I'm calling you out!

You can learn more about the tournament here, but if you're reading this, you probably already knew that: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... =8&t=17222

EDIT: I think we'll try to run a casual mirror of one of the many VCU Open side tournaments on Saturday night if there's enough interest, though we might run that as a packet reading at Wing House or something. Eric D. is interested in Tricon, while I'm interested in VICO. I'm not sure we'll have time for both, but maybe we could. Communicate any preferences to me directly or in this thread. I won't request a mirror from authors till we have some consensus.

Field:
UF 2-3
UCF 2?
Valencia 2
South Carolinians
Vitellos
Borglum
Beyer
CFC Professors
Free Agents
Last edited by ValenciaQBowl on Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:36 am, edited 4 times in total.
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
TaylorH
Wakka

Re: VCU Open Mirror at Valencia (August 22)

Post by TaylorH »

We (UF) will be there with two or three teams and a few buzzers to boot.
Taylor Harvey (he/him)
ACF
University of Florida B.S. Nuclear Engineering '17
University of Florida Ph.D. Nuclear Engineering '21
2021 ACF Nationals Champion
sonstige
Wakka

Post by sonstige »

You already know this, but naturally we'll be there. Pending any surprises, it'll be me, Virginia, Kevin Comer, and Rob Fernandez.
Travis Vitello
University of Florida '08
The Ohio State University '14
University of Virginia '21
Georgia Tech '26 (anticipated)
ex-Writer, NAQT
sonstige
Wakka

Post by sonstige »

Also: as mentioned offline, my coworker and former College Bowl all-star from MIT back in the day, Brian Clouse, is interested in playing this.

I reckon a team of him and Sean Platzer might work, presuming you can round up one or two more free agents to pair them with.
Travis Vitello
University of Florida '08
The Ohio State University '14
University of Virginia '21
Georgia Tech '26 (anticipated)
ex-Writer, NAQT
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

We'll have a couple other free agents, I'm sure, so as we get closer to the tournament date we can help folks get together.

PS--I've created a field list in the opening post.
Chris Borglum
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

So we played this yesterday and a fine time was had by all. We had 12 teams, so we ran a RR with two brackets of six, and then rebracketed into a top six and bottom six. I did such a damn fine job of splitting the teams that there were three 4-1 teams at the top of each of the initial brackets!

After five rounds of playoffs, Eric and Bryn and the rest of the South Carolina team was 4-1, as was the team of Travis Vitello, Virginia Ruiz, Kevin Comer, and Rob Fernandez. As it was already nearly 7 pm, with a 9 pm deadline for getting out of the building, we decided to just play some Tricon rather than playing a final match between them. Much thanks to Cody for putting up with Valencia paperwork demands and to him and all the writers for an excellent question set!

Here are the stats: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/3183
Chris Borglum