VETO at the University of Toronto (2015-07-25)

Old college threads.
otsasonr
Lulu

Re: VETO at the University of Toronto (2015-07-25)

Post by otsasonr »

I'll be sending an email to teams with logistics either this evening or tomorrow morning, but we are indeed in Sid Smith, in the usual area.

I am not playing GeoMon, so I'll coordinate the packets. Jeff, you can send the packets my way at your earliest convenienve; my email is at the top of the thread. Thanks.

I'm going to veto (ahem) moving BONGOS to Sunday (sorry Nick) because many people will want to be heading home relatively early on Sunday, and BONGOS will take a while. So far, only two people have said they want to play both classical and rock and roll audio, so it may make sense to play them in parallel. If that saddens many people, Joe's proposed schedule probably makes the most sense.
Rein Otsason
University of Toronto BASc 1T6 + PEY
University of Toronto MASc 2T0
University of Toronto PhD 2T?
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

otsasonr wrote:I am not playing GeoMon, so I'll coordinate the packets. Jeff, you can send the packets my way
Packets are in your inbox.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
minusfive
Rikku

Post by minusfive »

TheRhymeMinister wrote:I would prefer the rock and roll audio to be on Saturday and the science be moved to Sunday, in order that I can play the rock and not have to play science (I'm also speaking for my teammates Mike and Heather here).
Well, I am in the exact opposite boat: I would like to play the Classical music, but I won't be there on Sunday. Side-events aren't really a good idea on Sunday (everyone's rushing back home): why not keep classical music as the lunch thing and run Rn'R in the evening of Saturday as well as BONGOS? If it only takes 30 minutes, that shouldn't be a hardship.
EDIT: Grammar hard is.
Jordan Palmer, Nick Penner's Hero.

Pass by, and curse thy fill, but pass and stay not here thy gait.
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

In order to run classical misuk in a timely fashion, we could play it immediately at the start of lunch, and take up the first 30 mins or so, and then we can grab a quick lunch from the food truck or whatever. We don't have to spend time settling down after lunch. It should be done Saturday lunch; Ming-Ho's leaving at 3pm, and Jordan is only there Saturday.

I suspect rock and roll will be more popular, and because of that, use multiple rooms and take more time with players moving between rooms. (Two pseudorandomly split halves for 30 tossups, then top half and bottom half of each prelim room for ~40 tossups)
Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

The Last 21 Stanley Cup Winners wrote:In order to run classical misuk in a timely fashion, we could play it immediately at the start of lunch, and take up the first 30 mins or so, and then we can grab a quick lunch from the food truck or whatever. We don't have to spend time settling down after lunch. It should be done Saturday lunch; Ming-Ho's leaving at 3pm, and Jordan is only there Saturday.

I suspect rock and roll will be more popular, and because of that, use multiple rooms and take more time with players moving between rooms. (Two pseudorandomly split halves for 30 tossups, then top half and bottom half of each prelim room for ~40 tossups)
I'd be alright with that.
Aaron Dos Remedios
Formerly of the Waterloo School of Abstruse Canadian Inside Jokes (University of Waterloo)
otsasonr
Lulu

Post by otsasonr »

Copy of the logistics email just sent to all teams at their registered email address:
Hello everyone,

Please arrive at Sidney Smith Hall (100 St George St.) no later than 8:30 AM on Saturday. We will be meeting outside SS 2114. All games will be played on the second floor.

Please bring six (6) printed copies of your packets with you, along with whatever is required for your multimedia component. I know that this is a pain, but I can't guarantee enough laptops for all the rooms. If I get enough commitments to bring laptops from all of you, then I will send out an update to everyone.

In addition, please send your packets to BOTH of these email addresses:
mpmakortoff [AT] gmail [DOT] com
tak_seorangpun [AT] yahoo [DOT] com

We will be playing a full round robin, with 5 rounds before lunch, and 6 rounds after. There will be exactly one hour for lunch. As usual, there are many options for food on College St., as well as food trucks that normally park outside of Sid Smith.

Side event schedule is as follows:
During lunch --- Classical music audio tossups
Following VETO --- Geography Monstrosity 7, SHORT dinner break, BONGOS (all science)

Sign-up for side events will happen in the morning, so it is important to show up on time. Rock and roll audio tossups will be played on Sunday.

If you need to contact me the day of, my phone number is [REDACTED].

If you have any questions, please let me know, and I will reply as soon as possible.

Regards,

Rein Otsason
Rein Otsason
minusfive
Rikku

Post by minusfive »

We should be able to get to 6 laptops easily, no? If, say, we have Jay's, Aayush's, Aaron's, and mine, we're already 2/3rds there. Pat and Joe will have theirs around, which makes 6 even without any hard lifting (and pretty much everyone else has one too, I would think). But we should aim for 7-8, just in case.
Anyone I just "voluntold" have any objection to saving us all from printing costs/hassle?

Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

otsasonr wrote: In addition, please send your packets to BOTH of these email addresses:
when is the latest we can send them to the other site
Joe Su, OCT
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

The Last 21 Stanley Cup Winners wrote:
otsasonr wrote: In addition, please send your packets to BOTH of these email addresses:
Imagine you're organizing and hosting a tournament, Joe, and you're waiting for the tournament organizers to send you the pack(et)s. When is the latest time that they could send them to you such that it wouldn't totally stress you, the tournament host, out?

That's the deadline.
Aaron Dos Remedios
Formerly of the Waterloo School of Abstruse Canadian Inside Jokes (University of Waterloo)
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

adosreme wrote:
The Last 21 Stanley Cup Winners wrote:
Imagine you're organizing and hosting a tournament, Joe, and you're waiting for the tournament organizers to send you the pack(et)s. When is the latest time that they could send them to you such that it wouldn't totally stress you, the tournament host, out?

That's the deadline.
Is that tonight? tomorrow morning? tomorow midday?
Joe Su, OCT
Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer
Rikku

Post by Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer »

minusfive wrote:We should be able to get to 6 laptops easily, no? If, say, we have Jay's, Aayush's, Aaron's, and mine, we're already 2/3rds there. Pat and Joe will have theirs around, which makes 6 even without any hard lifting (and pretty much everyone else has one too, I would think). But we should aim for 7-8, just in case.
Anyone I just "voluntold" have any objection to saving us all from printing costs/hassle?
Don't tell me what to do.

(Yeah, mine will be there, I'll also voluntell Faith, Ming-Ho, Peter and Cole to bring theirs. I have to live up to my reputation of bringing an unnecessarily large number of laptops to tournaments, after all.)
The Last 21 Stanley Cup Winners wrote:Is that tonight? tomorrow morning? tomorow midday?
Imagine you are a one-legged anthropomorphic broccoli living in Bandra and crossing the sealink to Worli twice a day, and you're waiting for the tournament organizers to send you the packets. If the acceleration due to gravity increases to 19.6 ms^-2 and the Taylor-Nicki feud ends with Katy winning Album of the Year, what is the latest time that they could send them to you such that it would prevent Visser Three from acquiring a second Andalite host?

That's the deadline.
Aayush Rajasekaran (he/him or she/her)
University of Waterloo, 2016
University of Waterloo, 2018
minusfive
Rikku

Post by minusfive »

Get off thine arse and doeth it now, knave!

Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

lol, "classical misuk"
Jay Misuk
McMaster University, 2009, 2010, 2016
University of Toronto, 2011, 2017, 2022
MEd. (Educational Linguistics) MSc. (CogSciLing), Hon. BA (Linguistics), BA (History), BEd. (History, Geography, Music, Math, Soc. Sci, Law, Latin)

Tri-national competitor; tri-national neg champion.
To quote the ephemeral Jordan Palmer - "There is no shame, only points"
Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

Looking forward to this, boyos. Currently working on a clever team name, and cleverer player aliases. See yall bright and early on Saturday!
Jay Misuk
McMaster University, 2009, 2010, 2016
University of Toronto, 2011, 2017, 2022
MEd. (Educational Linguistics) MSc. (CogSciLing), Hon. BA (Linguistics), BA (History), BEd. (History, Geography, Music, Math, Soc. Sci, Law, Latin)

Tri-national competitor; tri-national neg champion.
To quote the ephemeral Jordan Palmer - "There is no shame, only points"
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

How many permanent staffers will there be? How many players/team will be required to staff during their bye?

Rico has kindly offered to be the second staffer for Rock and Roll if we have the demand. I will also staff Geo and Science; Science probably will need a second staffer.
Joe Su, OCT
otsasonr
Lulu

Post by otsasonr »

The Last 21 Stanley Cup Winners wrote:How many permanent staffers will there be? How many players/team will be required to staff during their bye?

Rico has kindly offered to be the second staffer for Rock and Roll if we have the demand. I will also staff Geo and Science; Science probably will need a second staffer.
Since there are 5 games happening simultaneously, every member of your team will be required to staff during the bye, as is normal for VETO. Rico will be generously staffing every round. There is a possibility that we have more permanent staffers the day of, but you should expect to be reading your team's round.

In addition, to clarify the whole "when are packets due" issue, I will just second what Aaron said, and make the suggestion that 8 PM EST is a very reasonable time to have your packet completed and sent to BC. This will avoid any panic in BC about where the packets are.
Rein Otsason
minusfive
Rikku

Post by minusfive »

otsasonr wrote: Since there are 5 games happening simultaneously, every member of your team will be required to staff during the bye, as is normal for VETO. Rico will be generously staffing every round. There is a possibility that we have more permanent staffers the day of, but you should expect to be reading your team's round
I assume you have a plan for this already, but I have exactly 1 person on my team. I will likely have a couple more in the morning (people on no other team who are coming to play with me), but I can't promise anything.

Masked Canadian History Bandit
Rikku

Post by Masked Canadian History Bandit »

Are games starting at 8:30 or later (e.g. 9)
Patrick Liao
Lisgar Collegiate Institute 2011, University of Pennsylvania 2015, University of Toronto Faculty of Law 2019
Peter13
Wakka

Post by Peter13 »

Masked Canadian History Bandit wrote:Are games starting at 8:30 or later (e.g. 9)
I was under the impression that all the teams would be at the quizbowl headquarters of Sidney Smith Hall by 8:30am and games would start shortly afterward when all the buzzers and laptops and things are set up. (i.e. 8:45 or 9:00am)
Peter Cordeiro
McMaster University, 2019 +/-1
Interim President of the ONQBA
Newest Accomplishment: SCT @ Waterloo - Scored over 40PPG on a Full Team
otsasonr
Lulu

Post by otsasonr »

Teams should arrive at 8:30 AM.
Rein Otsason
otsasonr
Lulu

Post by otsasonr »

I would like to thank everyone who came today and made it through a very long day of quizbowl. I apologize for the length of the main event, but given the nature of VETO that was partly expected. If anyone has any suggestions for how to improve VETO next year (or the next tournament at U of T in general), please let me know.

Stats have been done, but Rico has them, so I will post them tomorrow morning. Similarly, Joe has the scoresheets for GeoMon, and has promised to add up all of the scores.

BONGOS is currently adjourned after the first "round" of 2 packets. We will resume tomorrow after the HSNCT mirror.

Speaking of HSNCT, we will be meeting at 8:30 AM tomorrow. We've decided to cap the field at 6, which means there is still one more spot available for a team, and I believe some available spots for free agents. We will also be playing the rock and roll audio questions over lunch.

Thank you to everyone again for coming out to VETO, and for making it the unique experience it is. I hope to see many of you tomorrow.
Rein Otsason
mhyee
Lulu

Post by mhyee »

I had a great time today, despite (or in spite of? or because of?) the idiosyncrasies of VETO, and having to leave early. Thanks to everybody who made that possible (Rein for TDing, Rico for staffing, and everybody else for writing/reading/being opponents, and anyone else I should specifically name but am too tired to). Thanks also to my teammates, Patrick, Shuying, and Young-Min, and I hope people enjoyed our packet.

I also really enjoyed classical music, even though we ended up missing lunch. (Hopefully rock and roll tomorrow doesn't run into the same problem.) As someone who enjoys three meals a day, I think missing lunch was actually worth it. Thanks to Joe for organizing it, and everybody else for providing tough competition. I look forward to the next classical music side event, whether audio or textual. And congratulations to Young-Min for winning!

EDIT: Meant to say "or because of?" but didn't because I was too tired.
Last edited by mhyee on Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ming-Ho Yee
Northeastern University
Formerly University of Waterloo
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

mhyee wrote:I had a great time today, despite (or in spite of?) the idiosyncrasies of VETO
Nick Penner's packet, people's positive reactions to the music, and Jay's team's liking for our packet made the day wonderful despite VETO being VETO. :grin: 9.999999.../10 would come again.
Joe Su, OCT
TheRhymeMinister
Wakka

Post by TheRhymeMinister »

Once again, VETO showed that it's the only tournament of its kind, in all the best ways. Despite a grueling schedule and occasional technical difficulties, it was a fantastic day overall!

Special thanks to Rein and UT for organizing this tournament, Rico for being the best reader while also doing stats, Joe Su for his side event organizing, Jordan Palmer for riding off into the sunset like the hero that he is, all the teams for their friendly competition and fantastic packets, and to my teammates (Faith, Heather, and Michael) for their terrific writing and excellent camaraderie throughout the day.

Can't wait to do this again in 2016!
The Nick Penner
Waterloo Collegiate Institute '10
Carleton University '15
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

mhyee wrote: I look forward to the next classical music side event, whether audio or textual. And congratulations to Young-Min for winning!
Glad you enjoyed it; If people want, I also have some textual questions from the same event (i.e. no repeats from today's material) that could be used for a VCUO side event. I won't be there, but I'm sure someone will be willing to read it to everyone.
Joe Su, OCT
otsasonr
Lulu

Post by otsasonr »

I know I said I would post the stats for VETO this morning, but the need to bike home and return with a set of buzzers tied to my back with an extension cord for the HSNCT mirror meant I lost some expected time this morning. They can be found here.

Thank you again to all teams!
Rein Otsason
Windows ME
Wakka

Post by Windows ME »

You know VETO is wacky when the Top 2 teams at the tournament are the only ones to not power any questions.
Sinan U.
U of Toronto 2010
U of Alberta 2015
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

Windows ME wrote:You know VETO is wacky when the Top 2 teams at the tournament are the only ones to not power any questions.
That was because only the first place team's packet had powers and the second place team played their exhibition round on it.
Aaron Dos Remedios
Peter13
Wakka

Post by Peter13 »

I just want to thank everyone for organizing and running the tournament, especially Rein for coordinating everything to run as smoothly as it did. VETO has always been a bastion for creative and fun quizbowl to proliferate, and while there were a few questions that I thought were rather poor, overall I felt that it kept with that tradition while still asking things of legitimate importance.
Peter Cordeiro
McMaster University, 2019 +/-1
Interim President of the ONQBA
Newest Accomplishment: SCT @ Waterloo - Scored over 40PPG on a Full Team
minusfive
Rikku

Post by minusfive »

Thank you to everyone who made my final event a real pleasure. Thank you to Rein and Rico, Joe for a very enjoyable music event at lunch, Jeff Hoppes for supplying a very energizing GeoMon, and all the people who read/scorekept and made this event a success.
Thank you to everyone who played on my team; this includes you, my opponents! It was great to share quizbowl with you.
Good luck to y'all, and good luck to the awesome experience that is VETO.

Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Here are the stats for Geo Monstrosity, played in a bee format.
Attachments
GeoMonVETO.xlsx
(9.7 KiB) Downloaded 246 times
Joe Su, OCT
vetovian
Lulu

Post by vetovian »

The full report for VETO in Vancouver is here:
http://caql.org/results/veto15.html

The stats report for Toronto shows two teams with 7-2 records in the lead. Were there any playoff games, or was a winning team even decided?
Peter, SFU alumnus
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

vetovian wrote:The full report for VETO in Vancouver is here:
http://caql.org/results/veto15.html

The stats report for Toronto shows two teams with 7-2 records in the lead. Were there any playoff games, or was a winning team even decided?
Nobody really wanted to play any additional games, so we broke the tie on ppg.
Aaron Dos Remedios