2005 Chicago Open

Old college threads.
icarium
Lulu

2005 Chicago Open

Post by icarium »

Hey All,

Several people have approached me with questions about this year's edition of Chicago Open. I do plan on running the tournament, most likely sometime in late June or early July. This would be earlier than previous years, but that's the best time for me. If people have a weekend preference, please e-mail me at [email protected] and let me know.

Several parties have also approached me with possible plans to run various singles tournaments and another edition of Science Monstrosity, so it might be a full weekend.

If and when you e-mail me to express interest and a preferred date, please also express your preference for whether you want the tournament to be packet submission or not. If it is packet submission, I'd probably do something like last year, meaning I'll accept all packets up till a month before the tournament and give those teams a big discount (provided the packets are serviceable). Unlike previous years, I will have some time in May and June, so writing the tournament in it's entirety would not be a problem, if I can get some help with science, which I should be able to do.

Thanks,

Subash
Chris Frankel
Wakka

Post by Chris Frankel »

Sorry for the semi-hijack, but since I was one of those people who talked to Subash about singles tournament possibilities, I'll put out a feeder for my planned accessory event and see what sort of interest I get.

I'd like to host a fine arts singles tournament if the interest is there and if no scheduling conflicts exist. I won't go into details on distribution or format yet, but it should be a standard tossup-based singles tournament, roughly half visual arts and half classical music. As of now I have about half the tournament questions written and have had a positive response from the few people I have mentioned it to, so the rest shouldn't be too much trouble. There would be a small entry fee, and I could award prizes to the top placers.

So if you haven't talked with me about it already, send me an e-mail if you'd be interested (obviously a non-binding expression at this point) so I can see if a fine arts singles tournament is viable. I also plan on getting in touch with the other prospective secondary tournament directors and working things out so nobody has to miss out on anything.
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Would this tournament be strictly visual arts and classical music, or might some of the other categories often considered part of Fine Arts distribution (jazz, dance, serious film) be included?
Chris Frankel
Wakka

Post by Chris Frankel »

ValenciaQBowl wrote:Would this tournament be strictly visual arts and classical music, or might some of the other categories often considered part of Fine Arts distribution (jazz, dance, serious film) be included?
I'll just throw out the distribution for you right now. Since I've been operating under it for some time, I probably won't change it unless it would significantly affect attendance, but input is always welcome.

The plan is for 400 tossups total (haven't worked out packet/round schemes at all yet), organized according to the following percentages:

30% Painting/Drawing
20% Classical Instrumental/(Non-Operatic) Choral Music
20% Opera/Ballet
10% Architecture
10% Sculpture
5% Film
5% Jazz

Questions will coincide with the style of traditional fine arts questions in quiz bowl; that is to say oriented towards creators and creations rather than technical aspects of the subjects (both to accomodate player accessibility and the limits of my own knowledge range). I alloted a limited inclusion of film and jazz in order to provide some coverage of the material without overly skewing the overall temporal/cultural distribution or offending purists too much; I think the numbers offer a reasonable balance, but again commentary is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there any more questions out there.
Larry Horse
Lulu

Post by Larry Horse »

Even though I have not in any way talked to Subash about this, I am declaring that this year's Chicago Open will be officially known as the

"RON MEXICO CHICAGO OPEN"

Damn straight.
Matt Weiner stole my avatar
Theory Of The Leisure Flask
Yuna

Post by Theory Of The Leisure Flask »

Is there going to be a Mid-Atlantic/Northeast mirror (i.e. one reachable via the NEC)? I reallywant to experience Frankel's fine arts singles, but I doubt I have the resources to make it to Chicago.
Chris White
Bloomfield HS (New Jersey) '01, Swarthmore College '05, University of Pennsylvania '10. Still writes questions occasionally.
mps4a_mps4a
Lulu

Post by mps4a_mps4a »

i would also be interested in any mirror around here (of the Open or the singles thing) and I'd expect some other Virginia players would be too. Is there any chance of a mirror?