VCU Novice Mirror at Florida Gateway

Old college threads.
Florida Gateway
Lulu

VCU Novice Mirror at Florida Gateway

Post by Florida Gateway »

Florida Gateway College is pleased to announce a mirror of the VCU Novice on October 10th. The tournament will begin at 10 AM with check-in starting at 9:30 in Building 008 (Galloway Hall).

Fees:
The cost is $20 per player (max of $80 for a team up to 6 players). If you have 7 players you should just make a team of 3 and a team of 4. No Discounts because I'm buying lunch for all players, coaches and workers.

Elligibility:
1. All ACF eligibility rules apply, except when they contradict the rules below.
2. This is a tournament for introducing collegiate novices to quizbowl. Consequently, no high school teams or players are eligible.
3. Anyone (who does not break Rules 1 or 2) who has never played quizbowl before is automatically eligible. Other academic competition does not count as quizbowl for this rule.
4. Players meeting one or more of the following criteria must apply to the head editor for special permission to play:
i. If you have already completed your second year of college (calculated from time in college, not credits). Time in a post-secondary high school program does not count.
ii. If you have ever finished in the top 20 in scoring at PACE NSC or top 35 in scoring at NAQT HSNCT, or played on a team that finished in the top 16 at NSC or t-21 at HSNCT.
iii. If you ever lead a team in scoring that made it beyond the first round of the HSNCT playoffs, or lead a team in scoring that made the top playoff bracket of NSC [the last two years, this has been the top 24 teams].
iv. If you have ever scored at least 30 points per game at any college tournament.
v. If you have ever won any college tournament.

5. Anyone who does not fall into any of the four categories listed in Rule 4 is automatically eligible to play.
6. Even if one of the rule 4 categories applies to you, you may still be able to play! Email Cody Voight at [email protected] to apply for special dispensation. To apply: 1) state which of the rule 4 points would render you otherwise ineligible; 2) list when and how you achieved any of the accomplishments that led to your being otherwise ineligible; and 3) state succinctly why you want to play.

Please email me with numbers of teams, workers and buzzers you can bring. (I need to know a ceiling on the numbers by Sept 25th to order lunch)
james dot givvines at fgc dot edu

Field update:
FGC 2 teams
Valencia 3 Teams
CCF 2 teams
Chipola 2 teams
SCF 1 team
NWFSC 1 team
UF 2 teams
UCF 1 team
New College of Florida 3 teams (down from the 4 they originally thought)
Santa Fe 1 team
South Georgia State College 1 team
South Florida State College 1 team
(current total 20 teams)
Last edited by Florida Gateway on Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:12 am, edited 9 times in total.
James Givvines
Coach at Florida Gateway College
Jewish Pugilist
Lulu

Re: VCU Novice Mirror at Florida Gateway

Post by Jewish Pugilist »

Peter speaking from the UCF quizbowl team. I wanted to say I would love to staff this tournament up at gateway, especially if we send a team (which is very likely).
Peter Torres
University of Central Florida 2014-2019
Florida Gateway
Lulu

Post by Florida Gateway »

Peter,

That would be great. Please let me know if UCF has a team or two.
James Givvines
Coach at Florida Gateway College
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Mind that they're actually novices, you Knights.
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
Jewish Pugilist
Lulu

Post by Jewish Pugilist »

Yes Mister Doctor Professor Borglum. I know of no one on the current UCF team that plans to play it. Granted, our first practice is tomorrow so I will probably know then.
Peter Torres
University of Central Florida 2014-2019
sonstige
Wakka

Post by sonstige »

ValenciaQBowl wrote:Mind that they're actually novices, you Knights.
Peter doesn't speak for the organization --- if UCF is sending a team to this (provided we have eligible players), that information will be communicated by Virginia.

Peter (and any other UCF-ers who read this) --- if you want to volunteer to staff this event...great, I'm sure the folks at Gateway will appreciate it. Just make sure to let Virginia know so she can pass that information along accordingly in a single communication. Thanks.
Travis Vitello
University of Florida '08
The Ohio State University '14
University of Virginia '21
Georgia Tech '26 (anticipated)
ex-Writer, NAQT
TaylorH
Wakka

Post by TaylorH »

UF will be bringing two teams of novices.
Taylor Harvey (he/him)
ACF
University of Florida B.S. Nuclear Engineering '17
University of Florida Ph.D. Nuclear Engineering '21
2021 ACF Nationals Champion
Japanophilus Maximus
Lulu

Post by Japanophilus Maximus »

In case you haven't read my e-mail yet, New College of Florida is bringing 4 teams.
Naimul Chowdhury
New College of Florida '17
State College of Florida - Manatee '15
Self-projected CCCT All-Star of 2015 [Actually accomplished!]
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

James Givvines, coach of Gateway College and TD for this mirror, experienced a very serious health crisis requiring hospitalization on the eve of this tournament. That sad occurrence, coupled with a couple late drops, led to a pretty chaotic beginning of the tournament with a serious delay, as we worked to re-create a tournament bracket, etc. Long story short, we only ended up playing eight rounds, and as we had two brackets of ten (one of which really had nine, necessitating a bye) with no crossover rounds or playoffs, no actual winner was declared. But quiz bowl is about having fun and learning, so in my mind it was a success!

I realize we didn't live up to the dictum that a championship game be held, but our extenuating circumstance speaks for itself. The good news is that James seems to be recovering well, and we hope he'll be released from the hospital next week. Below are stats.

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... standings/
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah