Delta Burke at NIU 11/14/15

Old college threads.
Potatoes
Lulu

Delta Burke at NIU 11/14/15

Post by Potatoes »

Hello,

I am pleased to announce NIU's mirror of Delta Burke, to be held at Northern Illinois University on Saturday, 14 November 2015. I, Alec Krueger, will serve as tournament coordinator, and Kristin Strey will handle the day-of-event tournament direction.

The tournament will take place in DuSable Hall on NIU's DeKalb campus, the usual building that we hold tournaments in. We will run registration from 8-8:45, and hope to have round 1 underway by 9 AM.

Registration
To register for this event, send me an email at [email protected] with your team name, number of teams of that you are bringing, and buzzer/staffer/laptop/travel discount information.

Fees and payment
The fee structure for the tournament is:
$100 base fee per team
-$5 per functional buzzer brought (TD will decide what is considered functional or not) (max 2 per school)
-$10 per approved staffer provided, and -$5 if the staffer brings a laptop (TD must approve all staffers)
-$10 per 200 miles traveled one way (as determined by google maps)

For payment, please make checks out to “Quiz Bowl Association.” You can bring them the day of. If your school requires some sort of advance payment, or an invoice, email me, and we will sort it out.

Teams that cannot afford the entry fee are encouraged to contact me to discuss possible further discounts.

There is an initial field cap of 12 teams. This will be expanded upon securing additional moderators. Moderators will be provided with breakfast and lunch. If you are interested in reading for this event, please let me know, we’d be very happy to have you.
Last edited by Potatoes on Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alec Krueger
NIU '16
NIU '18
Potatoes
Lulu

Re: Delta Burke at NIU 11/14/15

Post by Potatoes »

Field: (12/12)
NIU (2)
RVC (1)
Drake (1)
Northwestern (2)
UChicago (3)
Eureka (2)
Valparaiso (1)

Wait List:
Last edited by Potatoes on Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:10 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Alec Krueger
NIU '16
NIU '18
Potatoes
Lulu

Post by Potatoes »

Field is now half full.
Alec Krueger
NIU '16
NIU '18
Potatoes
Lulu

Post by Potatoes »

With the registration of Eureka, I'm going to temporarily close the field until I hear back from Drake and Eureka on the exact number of teams they are bringing. I'll be starting a wait list, and priority will be given to teams that can provide a moderator.
Alec Krueger
NIU '16
NIU '18
Potatoes
Lulu

Post by Potatoes »

Field is now full. I will send out a logistics email within the next few days.
Alec Krueger
NIU '16
NIU '18
TheDoctor
Rikku

Post by TheDoctor »

Preliminary stats are here. Stats are being updated by round, so stay tuned!
Kristin Strey
SCOP
Head Coach, Winnebago High School (2014-)
Head Coach, Thurgood Marshall School (Rockford) (2022-)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-2012)
Northern Illinois University Quiz Bowl Association founder
TheDoctor
Rikku

Post by TheDoctor »

Final stats are posted. Congratulations to UChicago B who went into the final advantaged over UChicago A and emerged victorious!
Kristin Strey
SCOP
Head Coach, Winnebago High School (2014-)
Head Coach, Thurgood Marshall School (Rockford) (2022-)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-2012)
Northern Illinois University Quiz Bowl Association founder
Potatoes
Lulu

Post by Potatoes »

Thanks to everyone who came out to DeKalb for Delta Burke yesterday! I hope all teams had a great time. Especially big thanks to Paul Drube, Mike Laudermith, Victoria Likeum, Cindy Long, Danielle Long, Dylan Minarik, Elissa Pape, Kristin E.K. Strey, Daniel Toon, Franz Varga, and Mike Withey for helping this tournament run so smoothly.
Alec Krueger
NIU '16
NIU '18
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

I hope folks at the NIU mirror enjoyed the questions. The teams certainly (as expected) piled up points at a much greater rate; only three teams at the main site averaged over 15 ppb (one had 17, the other two low 15's). So the bonuses were probably easy for this field, but hard for mine. Therein lies the rub! I apologize for the handful of typos and errors in the set that we caught as we read. They're already cleaned up for future sites. Meantime, I've asked about starting a private forum for discussion of the questions and will update here when that's ready to go.
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

And, lo--a private discussion forum has been started. I'd love to hear how terrible the questions were, and how much any liberal snark and scatology played at NIU.
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah