MacVanity @ McMaster - Nov. 22nd, 2015

Old college threads.
TheMourningPaper
Lulu

MacVanity @ McMaster - Nov. 22nd, 2015

Post by TheMourningPaper »

Unrustle your jimmies, the rumours are true. McMaster is pleased to announce the return of MacVanity, a largely house-written, hybrid-style, semi-guerrilla vanity tournament to be played at McMaster on November 22nd, 2015!!! This tournament is intended as an introduction to writing for some of our club's members, and as such, we will be following a policy of "player beware". We shall attempt to follow last year's example of lightly editing the packets. This tournament is also intended to (hopefully) continue a trend: in exchange for subjecting players to a somewhat dubious VETO-style tournament, McMaster Quizbowl will donate a portion of the proceeds to the McMaster Children's Hospital (depending on the amount earned, approximately 40-50%).

As well as employing a variety of house-written vanity packets, we have had offers from various eager Canadian quizbowlers to submit packets towards this noble cause. That being said, if you feel the urge to create a vanity pack for potential use in this tournament, or are interested in playing, here is the distribution:

1/1 History
1/1 Science
1/1 Literature
1/1 RMP
1/1 Fine Arts
1/1 Geography
1/1 Soc Sci
1/1 TV/Cinema
1/1 Music (non-classical)
1/1 AltMedia (comics, video games, etc.)
1/1 Current Events
1/1 Sports
1/1 Meta (very likely Canadian in nature)
8-9/8-9 Whatever your heart desires

Total: 21/21

Details about tournament:

Date: Nov. 22, 2015
Teams: Open, no minimum
Cost: $100/team (minimum: $50)
Discounts: -$5 Buzzers
-$5 Laptops
-$5 Shorthanded per person
-$5 Distance (per 200km one-way)
-$10 Packet Submission

Current Field:
Rein + Aayush
Adam Swift et al.
Faith et al.
Erik et al.

If anyone for some reason would like to mirror this (perhaps to help contribute to our charitable donation), please email either myself ([email protected]), Peter Cordeiro ([email protected]), Jay Misuk ([email protected]), or the club ([email protected]).

We hope you'll come out and enjoy the chaos!
Last edited by TheMourningPaper on Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brian Luong
McMaster University 2016

Eternal office serf.
Will QA for rent.
Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer
Rikku

Re: MacVanity @ McMaster - Nov. 22nd, 2015

Post by Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer »

I'm playing with Rein. Will have at least one pack from my team.
Aayush Rajasekaran (he/him or she/her)
University of Waterloo, 2016
University of Waterloo, 2018
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

I'll submit a freelance packet in the same style as my previous one.
Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020
Cosmas's Tabernacular Earth
Wakka

Post by Cosmas's Tabernacular Earth »

I'll be making the trip up to Canada for this (and Missouri Open the day before) and will be submitting a pack.
Adam Swift
RIT, 2015
Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer
Rikku

Post by Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer »

aswift wrote:I'll be making the trip up to Canada for this (and Missouri Open the day before) and will be submitting a pack.
YAY!
Aayush Rajasekaran (he/him or she/her)
University of Waterloo, 2016
University of Waterloo, 2018
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

So I'm considering a trip to this thing to make up for all those times I said I would go to Canada (but didn't) and because otherwise my only quizbowl experience this term would be Penn Bowl. If I write a "pack" who should I send it to?

EDIT: Also, is this going to be powermarked? That would make for extra hilarity.

EDIT AGAIN: My passport is provsbly not going to be renewed in time for this. At least there's a hybrid tournament next year; hopefully I won't be prevented from going by severe unexpected illness again!
Last edited by naan/steak-holding toll on Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
Peter13
Wakka

Post by Peter13 »

Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote:So I'm considering a trip to this thing to make up for all those times I said I would go to Canada (but didn't) and because otherwise my only quizbowl experience this term would be Penn Bowl. If I write a "pack" who should I send it to?

EDIT: Also, is this going to be powermarked? That would make for extra hilarity.
It will likely be powermarked, as this is what happened last year. If you write a pack(et), you should send it to [email protected]. Or you could send it to me, and I could send it to him.
Peter Cordeiro
McMaster University, 2019 +/-1
Interim President of the ONQBA
Newest Accomplishment: SCT @ Waterloo - Scored over 40PPG on a Full Team
Hash Slinging Slasher
Kimahri

Post by Hash Slinging Slasher »

I'm currently writing a pack with Laurier and I'd like to formally declare we plan on coming to avoid literally not being registered like VETO.
Erik Christensen IRL
everdiso
Wakka

Post by everdiso »

"With Laurier"
Paul Kasiński
University of Toronto, 2020
Peter13
Wakka

Post by Peter13 »

Thanks everyone for coming to MacVanity. I again want to thank all my staffers, who from moderating to scorekeeping to bringing little extra treats, helped to make the experience fun and enjoyable for everyone.

Congratulations to Condoms made up of Rein, Ian, Aaron, and Aayush, who with an 8-1 record, won MacVanity!

Stats are posted here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... all_games/

Also, for our Attain the Summit side event, UTS defeated Martingrove in a closely fought final of 370-340!
Stats for Attain the Summit can be found here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/3446/
Because of lack of individual scores, only Standings and Scoreboard are available.
Peter Cordeiro
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

Peter13 wrote: Also, for our Attain the Summit side event, UTS defeated Martingrove in a closely fought final of 370-340!
Stats for Attain the Summit can be found here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/3446/
Because of lack of individual scores, only Standings and Scoreboard are available.
For Reach-style events (e.g this) you can use the team name as the individual name and assign all the points to that individual. Put TUH as maximum available points*/10, and give each "individual" that many "gets". This screws up non-10point questions, but SQBS doesn't seem to have a way to handle Reach format.

*pptuh over ppg as a tiebreaker in case teams hear an uneven number of points in a game, such as if teams have a bye. This happens because some questions have varied values - e.g. shootout is 12 questions but only 40 maximum points, assigned is 8 questions, 80 maximum points, but relays are 8 questions, 50 maximum points (since they don't bounce back)
Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020
Peter13
Wakka

Post by Peter13 »

The Last 21 Stanley Cup Winners wrote:
Peter13 wrote: Also, for our Attain the Summit side event, UTS defeated Martingrove in a closely fought final of 370-340!
For Reach-style events (e.g this) you can use the team name as the individual name and assign all the points to that individual. Put TUH as maximum available points*/10, and give each "individual" that many "gets". This screws up non-10point questions, but SQBS doesn't seem to have a way to handle Reach format.

*pptuh over ppg as a tiebreaker in case teams hear an uneven number of points in a game, such as if teams have a bye. This happens because some questions have varied values - e.g. shootout is 12 questions but only 40 maximum points, assigned is 8 questions, 80 maximum points, but relays are 8 questions, 50 maximum points (since they don't bounce back)
I may do this with future events, but this still just seems like a nicer way to dress up the tournament, but not actually giving more information. There are still categories that cannot exist in this format as well (Individual Detail) and I have to say that at the time, I did not know what the maximum number of points would be available each round. I really wish there was an SQBS format that actually dealt with this more.
Peter Cordeiro
Peter13
Wakka

Post by Peter13 »

Due to everyone's support, the McMaster Quizbowl Club is pleased to be able to donate $250.00 to the Hamilton Health Sciences Foundation, to help furnish and equip the Ron Joyce Children’s Health Centre. I give thanks to everyone for attending a day (and night) of quizbowl, and having your money go to such a noble cause as well as provide additional funding for our club.
Peter Cordeiro