2016 NAQT SCT at Brown (2/6/16)

Old college threads.
Jane Fairfax
Wakka

2016 NAQT SCT at Brown (2/6/16)

Post by Jane Fairfax »

This is the general announcement for the Northeast division of NAQT Sectionals, which will be hosted at Brown University in Providence, RI, on Saturday, February 6, 2016 from 8:15 AM to about 5:00 PM or 6:00 PM. A full list of hosts can be viewed on NAQT's website.

The tournament will be held in several locations. Division 1 will be played in Barus and Holley, which is on the east side of Brown's campus, while Division 2 will be split between Salomon Hall and J. Walter Wilson, two buildings a minute from each other on the west side of campus. A map of Brown's campus can be found here: http://www.brown.edu/Facilities/Facilit ... ment/maps/. Barus and Holley is found near the intersection of George St. and Hope St. Further details about the opening meeting will be provided closer to the tournament date.

Eligibility:
Teams competing at NAQT SCT must conform to NAQT's collegiate eligibility rules. A team competing in DII must meet the requirements laid out here by NAQT. Teams not eligible to compete in DII must compete in DI. If you are registering a DI team, please clearly indicate which players and teams are undergraduate, as that will determine undergraduate scoring prizes, the undergraduate trophy, and the undergraduate bid for ICT.

Registration & fees:
base fee: $125 / team
multiple team discount: -$25 / team (for every team after the first)
new school discount: -$20 / team (has not attended an NAQT college tournament in the past two years)
buzzer discount: -$10
moderator discount: -$30
scorekeeper discount: -$10
clock discount: -$5

The minimum fee is $40 / team. Discounts for staffers may only be claimed if you are transporting and/or lodging the staffer in question. The determination of moderator vs scorekeeper is ultimately at my discretion, though I will, of course, take into account what you think the staffer is capable of.

The only way to register for this tournament is via NAQT's website. Please e-mail me at [email protected] if you have any questions, but I cannot take registrations via e-mail.

Method of payment:
All players must pay by the day of the tournament. We prefer to accept payment in person right before the tournament starts, but we will accept checks by mail ahead of time if your procedures require it. Unless cleared with me beforehand, teams that do not pay by the day of the tournament will be charged a $25 penalty and will have two weeks to pay their total amount.

We can accept cash, personal checks, or checks from school, school district, or quizbowl club funds. We have no ability to process purchase orders, credit cards, Paypal, or any other forms of payment. Bringing forms of payment outside of the three listed will be considered nonpayment and subject you to the $25 late payment penalty.

All checks must be made out to "Brown Quizbowl." If you bring a check not made out to "Brown Quizbowl" and have no other method of paying for the tournament, you will be subject to the $10 late payment penalty.

If you withdraw after noon (Eastern Time) on February 3, 2016, you will be subject to a $40 cancellation fee. If you withdraw after noon (Eastern Time) on February 5, 2016, you will be subject to an $80 cancellation fee.

Team & roster size:
There is a halftime substitution opportunity in each game. Each player may appear on only one team's roster throughout the day-no switching from the B team to the A team, etc.

Food:
Neither breakfast nor lunch will be provided by the tournament.

Lloyd Sy
Tournament Director, NAQT SCT at Brown
[email protected]

EDIT: 1/8/16 with a cancellation fee, per NAQT standards
Last edited by Jane Fairfax on Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lloyd Sy
Auburn 2012
Brown 2016
ProfessorIanDuncan
Wakka

Re: 2016 NAQT SCT at Brown (2/6/16)

Post by ProfessorIanDuncan »

Is there a field cap for this and is it likely to be increased if necessary?
Alec Vulfson
Irvington High School '13
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

We're capped at 24 teams, and it will not be possible to raise the cap due to limits on the number of available rooms.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Jane Fairfax
Wakka

Post by Jane Fairfax »

In Division 1, Columbia B beat Yale A in the first game of an advantaged final to win.

In Division 2, Yale B beat MIT C in the first game of an advantaged final.

Full stats will be posted later. Thank you all for coming out today! I'd like to apologize for any hiccups in staffing, as we had problems with staffers not showing up; that being said, I think everything went fairly smoothly.
Lloyd Sy
Auburn 2012
Brown 2016
Jane Fairfax
Wakka

Post by Jane Fairfax »

Lloyd Sy
Auburn 2012
Brown 2016