"stanford housewrite" mirror at Alabama (3/5/16)

Old college threads.
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

"stanford housewrite" mirror at Alabama (3/5/16)

Post by The Ununtiable Twine »

Greetings!

I'm pleased to announce the South's mirror of "stanford housewrite" to take place on the University of Alabama's campus in Tuscaloosa. The tournament will take place on Saturday, March 5, 2016, and as with almost all of my other productions, will probably start at 9:00 AM. A building is currently being reserved for the tournament. Based on previous building reservation trends, the tournament will take place in ten Hoor Hall.

This part of the post is copied verbatim from the editors:
--
“stanford housewrite” will consist of 15 packets of power-marked questions following the usual ACF distribution:

4/4 Literature (1/1 American, 1/1 British, 1/1 European, 1/1 World)
4/4 History (1/1 American, 2/2 European, 1/1 World)
4/4 Science (1/1 Biology, 1/1 Chemistry, 1/1 Physics, 1/1 Other)
2/2 Religion and Mythology (1/1 each)
2/2 Philosophy and Social Science (1/1 each)
3/3 Fine Arts (1/1 Painting, 1/1 Music, 1/1 Other)
1/1 Geography, Current Events, and Trash (in the ratio 4:4:7, i.e. just under half are trash)

The intended difficulty of the set is Nationals-minus, i.e. noticeably harder than tournaments such as ACF Regionals and Penn Bowl, but not as hard as ACF Nationals or last year’s George Oppen. We will do our best to make the questions accessible and fun to play for teams with a wide variety of skill levels. There is a soft cap of 8 lines after bolding for power.

Fees:

Fees will probably be similar to that of other regions. I'll post them soon when I've figured them out. The travel discount will more than likely be of the Sundbergian variety, meaning that it will depend on the maximum distance traversed by any one player on the team.

You can email me at husbandofsamus at gmail dot com to register your team or list yourself as a free agent if you don't have a forum account. Alternatively, you can post here to list yourself as a free agent and then your team can notify me when it's sorted itself out.
Last edited by The Ununtiable Twine on Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Re: "stanford housewrite" mirror at Alabama (3/5/16)

Field (6):
Jason Fern/Julia Tallant/Lee Holden/Palmer
Billy Beyer/Jeb Houston/Alex Gras/Nick Collins
Jake Sundberg/Dargan Ware/Bryn Douglass/Eric Douglass
Tulane (2/2/1)
Florida (1)

Free Agents (1):
Mark Morris (not the choreographer)

*updated as of 03/02/2016
Last edited by The Ununtiable Twine on Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:06 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

Is there demand and/or room availability for a full weekend of events? (i.e. COTTAGE Bowl 2 trash tournament, Christmas Present beliefs and thoughts tournament, and Eyes That Do Not See visual art tournament)
Billy Beyer, formerly of FSU
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

wd4gdz wrote:Is there demand and/or room availability for a full weekend of events? (i.e. COTTAGE Bowl 2 trash tournament, Christmas Present beliefs and thoughts tournament, and Eyes That Do Not See visual art tournament)
I have Dargan looking into reserving rooms at a local community college at the moment. He hasn't gotten back to me just yet. If we can't get the rooms we might have to relocate to Birmingham the next day. I think running COTTAGE Bowl is the priority if buildings can actually be reserved. As far as why we can't play on UA campus Sunday, there seems to be some dissent within the AAQT organization. I'm thankful that they will have us for Saturday's event so I am going to respect their decision on the matter.

** change of plans - we're running Eyes That Do Not See VII directly following the conclusion of this event.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

Alex can't come, so the Billy Beyer/Jeb Houston/Nick Collins team is looking for a fourth. Please contact me if you're interested.
Billy Beyer, formerly of FSU
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Make Alabama Great Again (me, Dargan Ware, Bryn and Eric Douglass) goes 10-1 to win "stanford housewrite" mirror. John Milnor's Exotic Vacation (Billy Beyer, Nick Collins, Jeb Houston , Madeline Carlisle) finished 8-3 after the advantaged final.

Prelim stats can be found here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... s/prelims/
Stats including the final can be found here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... /combined/

Thanks to everyone who came out to staff (and I know I'm going to forget a few people - just know that I'm thankful you came out to the tournament as well): Forrest Walker, Daryl Lakner, Rissa Hall, the Muths, David Cooper, Madison Papp, Sebastian R., Austin, Amina, and anyone else I may have forgotten. It was wonderful to help organize and play the event.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired