NAQT SCT Canada @ uWaterloo (2016/02/06)

Old college threads.
mhyee
Lulu

NAQT SCT Canada @ uWaterloo (2016/02/06)

Post by mhyee »

The University of Waterloo Quiz Bowl Club is pleased to announce that we will be hosting the NAQT Canada Sectional on February 6, 2016. I will be serving as tournament director. If you have any questions, feel free to email me (see my profile).

Location and Time
The tournament will be held on the 4th floor of MC, the Mathematics & Computer building, a shining dull example of the Brutalist architecture style. The specific rooms and start time will be confirmed closer to the day of the tournament. Please arrive in MC 4054 at 9:00am for registration and announcements. Games will start as soon as possible.

Fees and Registration
Base fee: $125 per team
New school discount: -$20 per team (no SCT/ICT/CCCT attendance for two years)
Multiple team discount: -$25 per team (for every team after the first)
Buzzer discount: -$20 per working buzzer
Clock discount: -$5 per working clock
Staff discount: -$30 per working staffer

The minimum fee is $40 per team ($25 per team for new schools). Fees for this tournament are in Canadian dollars. American teams may be interested in the fact that our dollar has just reached a 12-year low.

To register, please use NAQT's online registration system. Registration has now closed.
Last edited by mhyee on Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:46 am, edited 4 times in total.
Ming-Ho Yee
Northeastern University
Formerly University of Waterloo
mhyee
Lulu

Re: NAQT SCT @ uWaterloo (2016/02/06)

Post by mhyee »

Field

DI (6)
Carleton A
McGill A
McMaster A
Ottawa A
Toronto A
Waterloo A

DII (6)
Carleton B
McGill B
McMaster B
Ottawa B
Toronto B
Toronto C
Last edited by mhyee on Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:47 am, edited 9 times in total.
Ming-Ho Yee
Northeastern University
Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

Expect at least a DI and a DII team from Mac. We'll officially register when we know exact numbers and whatnot.
Jay Misuk
McMaster University, 2009, 2010, 2016
University of Toronto, 2011, 2017, 2022
MEd. (Educational Linguistics) MSc. (CogSciLing), Hon. BA (Linguistics), BA (History), BEd. (History, Geography, Music, Math, Soc. Sci, Law, Latin)

Tri-national competitor; tri-national neg champion.
To quote the ephemeral Jordan Palmer - "There is no shame, only points"
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

Senator_Jay wrote:Expect at least a DI and a DII team from Mac. We'll officially register when we know exact numbers and whatnot.
Same with McGill
Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020
mhyee
Lulu

Re: NAQT SCT Canada @ uWaterloo (2016/02/06)

Post by mhyee »

Just a brief update -- a detailed logistics email will follow tomorrow or Thursday:

Registration has now closed. To avoid a bye, we will be fielding a house team. With six teams in both divisions, each division will play a double round robin, for 10 games in 10 rounds.

Tournament headquarters will be MC 4054. Please plan to arrive by 9:00am for registration and announcements.
Ming-Ho Yee
Northeastern University
mhyee
Lulu

Post by mhyee »

In the logistics email, I wrote: Hi everyone,

Please meet at 9:00 AM in MC 4045 for registration on Saturday. Have your money ready -- after you check in with me, Nick and Faith will collect payment. Isaac will tell you which rooms to set up your buzzers and clocks.

We will start games as soon as possible, so please be on time!

Since both divisions currently have six teams, we will be playing a double round robin, for a total of 10 games in 10 rounds. Lunch will likely be after round 5.

There is a small possibility that Division II will expand to eight teams, due to additional interest from Waterloo people. The schedule would then be a single round robin, followed by a 4/4 rebracket. This also gives 10 games in 10 rounds.

Schedules are attached to this [post], including both the six- and eight-team Division II schedules.

The university website has directions for getting to campus, as well as a map. You can park for free in Lot X (north end of campus by OPT) or certain lots in the colleges (west end of campus by REN, STP, and CGR). See here for more information about the college lots.

The light rail construction is still ongoing, but the main routes should not be affected. However, there is a possibility that some of the pedestrian crossings between campus and the “University Shops Plaza” will be closed.

Unfortunately, the plaza is the closest place to get food, as most of the on-campus food services are closed in the early morning.

If you are running late on Saturday, or if anything else comes up, please contact me -- the best way is email or messaging. Cell reception is less reliable in the building, but my number is [redacted].

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Ming-Ho
EDIT: The schedule is now outdated. See posts below.
Last edited by mhyee on Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ming-Ho Yee
Northeastern University
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

mhyee wrote: double round robin, for 10 games in 10 rounds
Since there's like 16 packets to work with and the games are timed, we should rebracket (4/2 or 3/3) after the double round robin. DII was like this last year.
Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020
mhyee
Lulu

Post by mhyee »

The Last 21 Stanley Cup Winners wrote:
mhyee wrote: double round robin, for 10 games in 10 rounds
Since there's like 16 packets to work with and the games are timed, we should rebracket (4/2 or 3/3) after the double round robin. DII was like this last year.
I have approval from NAQT to do a 4/2 rebracket after the double round robin (since this isn't a pre-approved schedule). Also, I can confirm that the Division II field will have six teams, not eight.

The revised schedule is attached.
Attachments
schedule-revised.pdf
NAQT SCT Canada 2016 - Schedule (revised)
(73.94 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
Ming-Ho Yee
Northeastern University
mhyee
Lulu

Post by mhyee »

A few drops caused Toronto to reshuffle their teams -- essentially, Toronto C has dropped. To avoid a bye, we added Waterloo B as a second house team.

We are posting live stats: Division I and Division II.
Ming-Ho Yee
Northeastern University
mhyee
Lulu

Post by mhyee »

In Division I, McMaster A defeated Waterloo A in a half-game tiebreaker, to advance to the upper bracket of the playoffs.

In Division II, Carleton B defeated Toronto B in a half-game tiebreaker, to advance to the upper bracket of the playoffs.

Playoff stats are being posted here: Division I and Division II.
Ming-Ho Yee
Northeastern University
mhyee
Lulu

Post by mhyee »

Both McGill teams cleared their fields to win outright. Top DI scorers were Dennis (Ottawa), Derek (McGill), and Aayush (Waterloo). Top DII scorers were Ian (Ottawa), Cameron (Carleton), and Gilbert (McGill).

There are many people I need to thank for making this tournament possible. First of all, Isaac helped with a lot of the tournament preparation and planning, and helped me staff the control room, handling the DII packets and stats. Aayush, our club president, also helped with tournament planning, procured our book prizes, and recruited most of our staffers.

Next, our readers and scorekeepers, who gave up their Saturdays to read questions and keep score: Kira, Patrick, Christine, Rico, Jj, Adam, DanielH, Robbin, David, Benzene, NickP, and Jesse. Cole also gave up a few rounds of play to scorekeep, and AaronDR read a tiebreaker game. Thank you to our staffers -- the tournament would not be possible without you!

I should also thank NickS for collecting payment, Joe and Patrick for their advice on tiebreakers, and BenS for loaning his collection of clocks for Ottawa to bring to the tournament. Finally, thanks to the people at NAQT for all their hard work (writing questions, coordinating tournaments, answering questions, and everything else they do), and of course all the teams and players for showing up.

Thank you everybody!

All stats can be found here.
Ming-Ho Yee
Northeastern University
Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

Thank you very much for hosting such an enjoyable day of Quizbowl! I believe a good time was had by all, and everything seemed to run quite smoothly.
Jay Misuk
McMaster University, 2009, 2010, 2016
University of Toronto, 2011, 2017, 2022
MEd. (Educational Linguistics) MSc. (CogSciLing), Hon. BA (Linguistics), BA (History), BEd. (History, Geography, Music, Math, Soc. Sci, Law, Latin)

Tri-national competitor; tri-national neg champion.
To quote the ephemeral Jordan Palmer - "There is no shame, only points"