2016 NAQT Florida SCT

Old college threads.
sonstige
Wakka

2016 NAQT Florida SCT

Post by sonstige »

Hello All,

This is a short announcement of the 2016 NAQT Florida SCT, which will be held at Valencia on February 6th. Details on the field, fee structure, etc. can be found on NAQT's page here. Team registration is available here. Kevin Comer is serving as the TD for this tournament, but if there are questions please let either Kevin or me know. This is especially relevant for any "new" quiz bowl teams and/or teams from out of state who may consider attending.

Teams should plan to be at Valencia in the 8:30-9:00 AM window, as we'll want to begin round 1 at 9:30 AM. An exact schedule will be determined once the field has been finalized, but we expect to get through 12-14 rounds plus a short lunch break (ending sometime around 6 PM).

Final details regarding rooms and meeting location will be made available once they are known, but tentatively plan to meet in the "usual" tournament locale on Valencia West. A separate logistics email (more realistically, a Facebook message) will be sent out to the registered teams as the tournament approaches.

Thanks,

Travis
Travis Vitello
University of Florida '08
The Ohio State University '14
University of Virginia '21
Georgia Tech '26 (anticipated)
ex-Writer, NAQT
sonstige
Wakka

Re: 2016 NAQT Florida SCT

Post by sonstige »

Friendly reminder: per NAQT the registration closes on Feb 2 (tomorrow).

As of the moment (Feb 1), our site looks like the following:

Div I Field:

Florida A
Florida B
UCF A

Div II Field:

UCF B
Florida C
Florida D
New College A
New College B
New College C

EDIT: Field is now locked, lest I hear otherwise from Kevin. UCF B was a late addition to the field, putting us at 9 teams. Given the number of teams in Div I, we'll play a mixed field. This will be a 9-team RR, followed by a 5/4 upper-lower split. The schedule I've put together is aggressive, but I think we can get everyone out of there by 6:30 PM.

Registered teams have been contacted directly with final details. See y'all Saturday.
Travis Vitello
ex-Writer, NAQT
sonstige
Wakka

Post by sonstige »

Final stats to be posted soon, but a quick recap:

We ended up having 8 teams play (UF D was a last-minute drop, but no tears were shed since it gave us a much more pleasant 8-team schedule in the end).

We played a double-RR (mixed field, 3 Div I, 5 Div II), and UF A cleared the field, going 14-0. They were the overall and Div I winners.

Behind UF A, we had two Div II teams at 8-6 (New College B and UCF B).

In a final match between these teams, UCF B edged New College B to take the Div II title. They also finished as the highest UG team in the mixed field.

Many thanks to all of the staff who came out, and for Chris Borglum for generously letting us use the Valencia facilities to host this.
Travis Vitello
ex-Writer, NAQT
sonstige
Wakka

Post by sonstige »

Final Stats --> includes additional Div II final game between UCF B vs New College B.

Stats sans the Div II final

EDIT: For people keeping track at home, since our field was 3 Div I teams and 5 Div II teams, we played on the Div II set.
Travis Vitello
ex-Writer, NAQT