MLK UK Mirror @ Oxford Brookes (February 13th 2016)

Old college threads.
Belgium
Lulu

MLK UK Mirror @ Oxford Brookes (February 13th 2016)

Post by Belgium »

As far as I can tell, this is the first quizbowl tournament held at Oxford Brookes University, and it is going to be MLK XVII as written by the lovely people of Michigan. As stated in all other MLK mirror pages, this tournament is open to student teams, is to be held on Saturday February 13th 2016 and is of a difficulty level slightly lower than that of Penn Bowl 2014. Which was my first tournament. I still get nightmares.

Where?
This event will be held on the Gipsy Lane Campus of Oxford Brookes University, in the brand new John Henry Brookes Building. Walk in, go straight ahead until you reach a yellow staircase, then go up two floors. Registration will be in JHB 301, and all booked rooms are on the same floor.

When?
As mentioned above, the date is Saturday February 13th 2016. Teams should arrive by 9:30am for a 10am start, with any staffers ideally arriving around 9am.

Payment
To be made on the day, ideally in cash. The fee itself has not yet been fixed, but is likely to be between £50 and £70, with various discounts for providing buzzers and moderators.

How many teams?
Given that this event comes one week after ACF Regionals and one week before VCU Novice, I do not expect a huge amount of participation, especially at such a high-difficulty event. As a result, I have booked five rooms, and have capped the field at a hard 11 teams maximum.

Registration
Please send an email to [email protected] including any relevant details. A Facebook page will be up shortly to make for easier discussion.
Thomas De Bock - Oxford Brookes University
Red Panda Cub
Wakka

Re: MLK UK Mirror @ Oxford Brookes (February 13th 2016)

Post by Red Panda Cub »

This tournament happened. Oxford A went undefeated in the round robin and the second placed team was Oxford B, who had two losses. As such Oxford A won without the need for a final.

Many thanks to Brookes for running the event in fairly impressive fashion, especially given it was many moderators first effort and Thomas, the TD's, first time running a tournament. Thomas has kindly put the stats up here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/3579/
Joey Goldman
Oxford '17
City, University of London '19