CAR RIDE - 4/15/2016

Old college threads.
Ike
Auron

CAR RIDE - 4/15/2016

Post by Ike »

Hi folks,

This is an announcement for CAR RIDE, a single packet tournament consisting of however many common link tossups I get.

We all know that we want hilarious material to read on the way to / back from a tournament like ACF Nationals. CAR RIDE is the first tournament designed to fulfill that need. Here's how it works: Everyone who wants to win the tournament submits me one common link tossup with an answerline that is as hilarious as possible. The more contrived the better. I would prefer it that the answer be academic, but it doesn't have to be. Once I have received all the submissions, I will compile them into one document. I will not do any editing other than copy and pasting the questions into a document, and writing up a master list of who submitted what. Submissions need to be in by 4/14/2016 3pm, and I'll post the packet here on 4/15/2016.

The winner of the tournament is the author of the question who makes me, Billy Busse, Mike Sorice and whoever else is in our car laugh the hardest. You are allowed to submit me more than one tossup, and I guess that does increase your chances of winning, though if you are particularly unfunny, I reserve the right to distill your dogshit into one tossup by picking one TU at random. Remember, everyone is eligible, anyone can win!

As an example of what I'm going for, check out this TU from Southern Ontario Trash Vortex and try to do your best to imitate it.
In one example of this phenomenon, a character quips "Well, gee, eh, you're one big beaver", although this phenomenon does not occur to a red­headed character who serves her mother a magic tart. One character who endures this phenomenon is trapped in a glass jar by Lawrence, and another character who endures this phenomenon is told to "dig a little deeper" by Mama Odie. Due to this phenomenon Kenai learns the meaning of brotherhood, Naveen learns the value of hard work, and Kuzco learns humility, although notable other characters such as Carl Frederickson, Flynn Ryder, or Merida do not have to endure this phenomenon in order to learn, perhaps because they all share a certain ethnicity. For 10 points, name this phenomenon occurring in recent films from a certain animation studio, where characters who do not have a certain skin tone undergo a transformation for the majority of the film.
ANSWER: Visible minority Disney­ Pixar characters turning into animals (accept any replacement of "visible minority" that mentions the characters being something other than white)
Email me with your questions at sephiroth0kouko[REMOVETHIS]@gmail.com. Best!
Ike
UIUC 13
Cheynem
Sin

Re: CAR RIDE - 4/15/2016

Post by Cheynem »

Don't write for this if you haven't finished your Nats packet though.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Ike
Auron

Post by Ike »

Questions for these have started rolling in! This is going to be a delight! Everyone should submit a question.
Ike
UIUC 13
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

For folks not traveling to ACF Nationals, I'd like to organize an IRC reading of it...maybe Friday night?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Ike
Auron

Post by Ike »

Cheynem wrote:For folks not traveling to ACF Nationals, I'd like to organize an IRC reading of it...maybe Friday night?
Sounds good with me! And just a reminder - you have a day left to submit for this. All players should submit one tossup!
Ike
UIUC 13
Chaac and Ayyy
Lulu

Post by Chaac and Ayyy »

Cheynem wrote:For folks not traveling to ACF Nationals, I'd like to organize an IRC reading of it...maybe Friday night?
I would definitely be interested in this as well, what time (EST) would you expect it to begin?
Kevin Deam
Pennsylvania State University, 2016
Be excellent to each other, as well as yourself.
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Maybe 9 CST?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Ike
Auron

Post by Ike »

I'm extending the deadline to when I wake up tomorrow morning. I have 31 tossups submitted, now's your chance folks!

Ike
Ike
UIUC 13
Ike
Auron

Post by Ike »

CAR RIDE is attached.

Couple of notes: This packet is definitely not G-rated, it contains some lewd material that makes it probably closer to T or R-rated.

There's a couple of meta submissions that are injokey - but I've kept them because I only did minimal editing.

I know there's an IRC reading of this later. Don't cheat if you want to play this packet. Come one, this is the most pathetic tournament on which you can freely cheat!

Ike
Attachments
CAR RIDE.docx
(45.86 KiB) Downloaded 880 times
Ike
UIUC 13
Valefor
Wakka

Post by Valefor »

Cheynem wrote:Maybe 9 CST?
Has this, by virtue of lack of objections, now become the official time this is happening?
Jason Thompson
aka "that one reader with the ponytail and the Transylvania sweatshirt"
NAQT member
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I decree it.

Edit: Don't read it obviously if you want to play! I'll read.

Edit 2: The editors commentary from Ike is masterful; it's like reading the footnotes of Edward Gibbon.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Sam Bailey won the CAR RIDE online packet with 65 points, defeating Eric Mukherjee with 55 points. Mik Larsen was third with 15 points.

Shan Kothari scored -30.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Harpie's Feather Duster
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

While we were in our CAR RIDE on Friday night An Actual Clue From The Tournament was being demonstrated on our campus. I guess the best art does imitate life!
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
Ike
Auron

Post by Ike »

The Top Percentage of Rattatas wrote:While we were in our CAR RIDE on Friday night An Actual Clue From The Tournament was being demonstrated on our campus. I guess the best art does imitate life!
No shit

Okay, so CAR RIDE's winner is Kurtis Droge. He had the most hilarious common link, actually provided buzzable clues and made it meta without being completely insular. Isaac Thiessen wrote the tossup on getting cuckolded by Richard Wagner - that's a pretty close second.

Submitting two tossups on Sherlock Holmes ejaculations nearly caused me to fall out of my chair. Faith Barrett and D.P. Chiverton win CAR RIDE's inaugural Honorable Mention.

Thanks for playing!
Ike
UIUC 13
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

It's also astonishing that "Watson's ejaculations" wasn't even the only contender for "most improbable ejaculation-related repeat" in this packet.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum