ARTSEE (Summer/Fall 2016 Arts Side Event)

Old college threads.
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

ARTSEE (Summer/Fall 2016 Arts Side Event)

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

Only a few hours after its conception, I am excited to announce the Artistic Reification Tournament - Summer Edification Edition, or ARTSEE for short. If you are so inclined, you may call this the Fine Arts Reification Tournament - Summer Edification Edition and call it by the resulting acronym instead.

This tournament's target difficulty is equivalent to recent side events that I've produced (SHEIKH, Christmas Present) - roughly Nats or Nats-minus level. Like Christmas Present, this tournament will use a three-tiered quota system of answerline difficulty - Category 1 answers would be bonus middle parts (or easier) at Regionals, Category 2 answers are tougher but "canonical" answers, and Category 3 answers are challenging or extra-canonical answers that haven't come up a ton. A minimum of 50% of answerlines will be Category 1, and a maximum of 25% of answerlines will be category 3. Tossups will be between seven and nine lines long in ten-point Times New Roman, including powermarks.

As of right now, I'll say there will be at least nine powermarked packets. The distribution will be as follows, with 20 tossups per packet:

2x Painting pre-1850
2x Painting post-1850
2x Mixed / Any Painting (common links, more of the above, "pure" art history)
1x Sculpture
1x Architecture
2x Film
1x Photography + Performance + Other Visual
1x Ballet + Other Music
1x Jazz
1x Opera
1x Early Music + Theory
1x Baroque Music + History & Conductors
1x Classical era + Performers
1x Romantic Music
1x Modern Music
1x Any Music (common links and more of the above) Music History, etc.

This tournament will be written by myself, Jarret Greene, Kai Smith, and Athena Kern; I'll be serving as head editor. I'm open to taking on one additional writer who's interested in contributing sculpture and/or architecture questions.
Last edited by naan/steak-holding toll on Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
Cheynem
Sin

Re: ARTSEE (Summer/Fall 2016 Arts Side Event)

Post by Cheynem »

What is the pricing for this tournament?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Entry fee will be $10 per player.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

I've altered the distribution outlined in the original post. The "Baroque" category is now "Baroque Era + History/Conductors" and the "Classical Era" category is now "Classical era + Performers." Everything else should be identical.

EDIT: Also, I think I can safely say this tournament's going to be a bit harder than Christmas Present or SHEIKH were, though not by much.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

I'll be sending out packets this evening. Tournament directors should collect fees and pay directly to me via Venmo (should be doable if you have checks at all) or by mailing me a check (less preferable since it's slower).

EDIT: Packets have been sent out.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Could an administrator set up a private discussion forum for this tournament, please?
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

At Michigan a five person team of Mike Cheyne, Rob Carson, Andrew Hart, Auroni Gupta, and Tamara Vardomskaya won this event.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Here's a protip: don't use quizbowl questions as vehicles for linguistic change. The substitution of the correct pronouns with "they" in tossups is one of the most misguided things I have witnessed in recent qb memory.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Snap Wexley wrote:Here's a protip: don't use quizbowl questions as vehicles for linguistic change. The substitution of the correct pronouns with "they" in tossups is one of the most misguided things I have witnessed in recent qb memory.
This wasn't my doing; it can be discussed to further extent in the tournament discussion forum, which should be up later.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Post by ThisIsMyUsername »

Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote:
Snap Wexley wrote:Here's a protip: don't use quizbowl questions as vehicles for linguistic change. The substitution of the correct pronouns with "they" in tossups is one of the most misguided things I have witnessed in recent qb memory.
This wasn't my doing; it can be discussed to further extent in the tournament discussion forum, which should be up later.
When you declare yourself to be the "head editor" of a tournament, it is most unseemly to disavow responsibility for questions you may not have written yourself (but that you should have at least read and approved), when they are criticized.

Also, Jerry didn't even criticize you by name, so I have no idea why you're throwing a writer under the bus in advance of being specifically singled out for this!
John Lawrence
Yale University '12
King's College London '13
University of Chicago '20

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Post by Cody »

Jerry is correct -- you shouldn't do something like that period and definitely shouldn't do it without telling players.

I have other thoughts about this tournament once the private discussion is set up.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
gimmedatguudsuccrose
Wakka

Post by gimmedatguudsuccrose »

Cody wrote: I have other thoughts about this tournament once the private discussion is set up.
A private discussion forum for ARTSEE has now been set up.
χ Smith
FHS '15
Chicago '19