ACE 2016 Summer Classic (June 24 – 26)

Old college threads.
Nick
Wakka

ACE 2016 Summer Classic (June 24 – 26)

Post by Nick »

ACE is pleased to announce a new event for quizbowl players called the ACE Summer Classic.

The ACE Summer Classic consists of three events, outlined below:

Main Event – an individual buzzer competition for all academic competitors! This competition is using NAQT's ICT Division II set. The Champion of each division (High School, Collegiate, and Masters) receives an exciting new custom trophy called the Golden Buzzer

Anniversary Doubles - a doubles (teams of two) buzzer tournament based entirely around content (academic and pop culture) that has been newsworthy or noteworthy in the previous calendar year

Family Quiz Night - a visual tournament with teams of four answering on a worksheet questions displayed on a screen. This is “quizbowl pub trivia.” This will be the same familiar quizbowl content asked in creative ways: maps, scientific models, math computation, quotes, works of art, etc.

The 2016 ACE Summer Classic will be held on the campus of Bellarmine University (Louisville, KY) from Friday evening (June 24th) to Sunday morning (June 26th). More details and the registration form can be found on our website but please don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions you might have (info <@> aceqb.com).

We hope that in the years (and Classics) to come, this event has a custom set for the Main Event and attracts the greatest quizbowl players of past, present, and future. We will post a picture of the Golden Buzzer as soon as we have it – but I’m telling you right now, it’s pretty glorious.

Are you the greatest quizbowl player in the land?
Nick
Panayot Hitov
Wakka

Re: ACE 2016 Summer Classic (June 24 – 26)

Post by Panayot Hitov »

Nick wrote: The Champion of each division (High School, Collegiate, and Masters) receives an exciting new custom trophy called the Golden Buzzer

#gimmickinfringement
Paul Kirk-Davidoff
Oakland Mills High School '14
Carleton College '18
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Huh, ACF-content bar trivia actually sounds pretty fun. I'd be curious to see the questions from that get posted after the event.

Also, I do realize you guys are stuck with a set that many prominent players have heard for this year, and will be figuring out a custom set in the future, so the field that can honestly play this year is much smaller than the field you'd like to draw in the future. For 2017 on, I'd advise that if you're going to have a collegiate and "Masters" division, having it be of the difficulty of DII ICT will actually repulse rather than attract many of the best collegiate and open players out there. In order to test who the best high-level individual generalist is without getting excessively difficult, you'd want tossup difficulty to look more like ACF Regionals or NASAT, if not slightly harder (like Penn Bowl 2013 or 14).
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
Habitat_Against_Humanity
Rikku

Post by Habitat_Against_Humanity »

Adventure Temple Trail wrote:Huh, ACF-content bar trivia actually sounds pretty fun. I'd be curious to see the questions from that get posted after the event.

Also, I do realize you guys are stuck with a set that many prominent players have heard for this year, and will be figuring out a custom set in the future, so the field that can honestly play this year is much smaller than the field you'd like to draw in the future. For 2017 on, I'd advise that if you're going to have a collegiate and "Masters" division, having it be of the difficulty of DII ICT will actually repulse rather than attract many of the best collegiate and open players out there. In order to test who the best high-level individual generalist is without getting excessively difficult, you'd want tossup difficulty to look more like ACF Regionals or NASAT, if not slightly harder (like Penn Bowl 2013 or 14).
If you're ever back in New Haven (and this goes for Yale grad students as well), I'm part of the duo that runs bar trivia at GPSCY. My content is generally pretty academic as the audience is Yale grad students.
Rachel
UChicago 09
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

Nick wrote:Are you the greatest quizbowl player in the land?
Even if I were, this certainly wouldn't determine it.

Also Nolan, please let me know when that is! My girlfriend is (still) at Yale, and i'm sure we could contribute to a team.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

I am likely to attend the non-ICT portions of this event due to proximity, although I will have to make sure my schedule isn't too full that weekend. If I have some time, I may also be willing to organize a social gathering for interested parties.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
t-bar
Tidus

Post by t-bar »

Habitat_Against_Humanity wrote:If you're ever back in New Haven (and this goes for Yale grad students as well), I'm part of the duo that runs bar trivia at GPSCY. My content is generally pretty academic as the audience is Yale grad students.
I went once and can attest that it's good stuff. Unfortunately, Monday night is also quizbowl practice. Maybe over the summer...
Stephen Eltinge
Then: TJ, MIT, Yale, PACE, NAQT
Now: ACF
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

The Quest for the Historical Mukherjesus wrote:
Nick wrote:Are you the greatest quizbowl player in the land?
Even if I were, this certainly wouldn't determine it.
I mean, the idea of an all-subjects individual throwdown isn't inherently a bad one. They just need a set of questions that is (a) rigorous enough to draw the putative best players' attention (b) not something every serious player has heard already at nationals or an HS pre-nationals event.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF