Side Event Tournament in NYC- 8/7/16

Old college threads.
Zef
Lulu

Side Event Tournament in NYC- 8/7/16

Post by Zef »

This is the official announcement post for the New York City Side Event tournament which will take place on Sunday, August 7, 2016. The tournament will take place at the Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences (251 Mercer Street) on NYU's campus, and will start at roughly 8:00 AM Sunday morning.

As of now, we are planning on playing three events on Sunday: Listory, ARTSEE, and BURI. If you have interest in playing another event, please include that in your registration email. The fee for the tournament will be as follows: $10 per player plus an additional $10 per event played (so someone who plays all three events for example would be required to pay $40). There will be a $10 discount for bringing one (and only one) set of buzzers to the tournament.

Please email us at [email protected] in order to register as a participant for this tournament. Only email us if you are sure you will be attending, which events you plan on playing, and if you are bringing a buzzer system to the tournament. You do not need to play every event. Once you have registered, you will be granted access to a Google Spreadsheet with which you can officially form teams for each event. A running list of individuals who have registered for the events will be posted below.
Huzefa Diwan
Columbia University '18
Roslyn High School '14
Co-Vice President, Columbia Quiz Bowl
High Dependency Unit
Yuna

Re: Side Event Tournament in NYC- 8/7/16

Post by High Dependency Unit »

What will the format be (singles, doubles, quads) for each event?
Michael Borecki
Middlesex Middle '13,
Darien (co-captain) '17,
Bowdoin College (club president) '21
Mewto55555
Tidus

Post by Mewto55555 »

Triples for Listory would be awesome (and it looks like there's another group of three already signed up on the spreadsheet)! I endorse that.

Most of the non-shootout side events sound like they're best suited for teams of 2 or 3, so I think that's generally the way to go, unless there's a rooms/moderators constraint that prevents this.
Max
formerly of Ladue, Chicago
Zef
Lulu

Post by Zef »

Since we don't yet know how well-attended this mirror will be, we're limiting team size to two people for all the events as of now. If there are more people interested, or if the schedule would work better with a smaller number of teams, we'll change each tournament to singles/triples/quads as appropriate.

As mentioned earlier, here is a list of individuals who will be playing at least one event at the tournament:
Richard Yu
Marianna Zhang
York Chen
Jason Golfinos
Max Schindler
Jason Zhou
Michael Borecki
Erik Bobrow
Alexander Nero
Daniel DeFelippis
Julia Tong
Jerry Vinokurov
Eric Kilgore
Kevin Deam
Rachel Bickley
Jason Lai
Mohan Malhotra
Mirza Ahmed
Aaron Cohen
Last edited by Zef on Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Huzefa Diwan
Columbia University '18
Roslyn High School '14
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

I will definitely be there.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

Since Courant is about a 20 minute walk from my apartment, I guess I have no excuse to miss this
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
atha
Lulu

Post by atha »

I am interested in participating, but what do the side events mean.

User was reminded to enable a signature -- staff
Atharva Acharya
East Brunswick High School Captain
Chaac and Ayyy
Lulu

Post by Chaac and Ayyy »

atha wrote:I am interested in participating, but what do the side events mean.
Listory is a literature side event: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... =8&t=18619
BURI is a mythology side event: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... =8&t=18743
And ARTSEE is a Fine Arts side event: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... =8&t=18589

Is there a cutoff date for when we should e-mail Columbia to say we are coming? I'll be in the NYC area starting on 8/4 but don't know my availability for the 7th yet.

*Edited to include the correct internal link for BURI*
Kevin Deam
Pennsylvania State University, 2016
Be excellent to each other, as well as yourself.
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

I'm interested in playing some side events, but I'd like to know which, other than the three above, have the most potential to happen. It's much easier for me to take a bus to the city than fly/bus to Richmond or Detroit.
Dan Passner Brandeis '06 JTS/Columbia '11-'12 Ben Gurion University of the Negev/Columbia '12?
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Post by UlyssesInvictus »

This is just me tooting my own horn, but I'll note that I'd very much like for people to play GRAPHIC (the comics set I and a few others wrote a couple rounds of), if solely for the pleasure of exposing people to comics. I've already made the set "pay-what-you-want," so if anyone's interested, all they have to do is convince a staffer or two to read it to them for fun, say during lunch.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

Some people in the IRC suggested casually playing some of the side events in someone's apartment after the more formal portion. Given NYC housing stock though I don't know if anyone in quizbowl in NYC has a place that can fit a dozen people, or, if they can, are game to do so.
Dan Passner Brandeis '06 JTS/Columbia '11-'12 Ben Gurion University of the Negev/Columbia '12?
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Post by ThisIsMyUsername »

I don't think we ever got a conclusive answer regarding the format for the events, and the tournament is less than a week away. Which events are being played as singles, doubles, triples, or quads?
John Lawrence
Yale University '12
King's College London '13
University of Chicago '20

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
Zef
Lulu

Post by Zef »

Would just like to let everyone know that we will continue to accept registrations until this Wednesday, August 3rd. If you have sent us an email registering for the tournament but have not yet signed up for teams on the spreadsheet, please do so as soon as possible so we can better organize the staffers. All three events (Listory, ARTSEE, and BURI) will be played as doubles unless size constraints lead to a change.
Huzefa Diwan
Columbia University '18
Roslyn High School '14
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

If anyone has the space or informally wants to organize or play some of the other events, I'd be happy to run logistics for events I don't have interest in but that other people do, If someone can do the same for some other ones (like Bentley's tournament and Tricon.) What hours are the rooms for, and does anyone have experience with NYU and how strict they are about reservation times? I'd like to play stuff in NYC, but if none of the events I particularly want are happening (and I imagine most people want to play at least a few of the others somehow) I'll take a bus to Richmond. I'm glad Columbia is running something though.
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Post by UlyssesInvictus »

Can the spreadsheets be made read public? I actually just learned I have the opportunity to come to this, but I'd like to see what the fields for each event look like so far before committing.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
ProfessorIanDuncan
Wakka

Post by ProfessorIanDuncan »

A member of the NYU quizbowl team received an email saying that we would have 8 rooms until 9 PM. I dont know how long the 3 events planned are going to run, but we do have plenty of time. The registration spreadsheet (which you can get access to by email columbia quizbowl, email address on the first post) has a section dedicated to people making recommendations for other side events. As far as i can tell there isnt any overwhelming favorite, so if you voice your opinion for what you want to hear, its possible it will be read.

Raynor, the fields for all 3 events are quite small, so you'll definitely be able to play.
Alec Vulfson
Irvington High School '13
Theory Of The Leisure Flask
Yuna

Post by Theory Of The Leisure Flask »

I'm considering picking up a buzzer for the first time in five years and coming to this. Guess I should decide soon.
Chris White
Bloomfield HS (New Jersey) '01, Swarthmore College '05, University of Pennsylvania '10. Still writes questions occasionally.
Zef
Lulu

Post by Zef »

Hi Everyone, due to the circumstances surrounding BURI, we are replacing it with Mike Bentley's A Culture of Improvement. The event will take place after ARTSEE, and will also be in the doubles format, and there is no fee for taking part in this event. If there is time at the end of the night, after Listory but prior to 9 PM, we plan on offering the Mik Larsen NBA Ten Point Shootout event which will have a fee of $5 per person. Changes have been made accordingly to the registration spreadsheet, so if everyone could make a note of that and sign up for these new events.

Also, just a reminder that registration for the tournament ends tomorrow. As well, if anyone can bring a buzzer system to the tournament, please let us know by email.
Huzefa Diwan
Columbia University '18
Roslyn High School '14
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

Hey so there doesn't seem to be any consensus as to team limits for these events...are there any strong objections if Mirza Ahmed, Jason Lai, and myself play as a three person for listory?
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
JLai
Lulu

Post by JLai »

Just to clarify Aaron's question, would it be okay to extend Listory to triples for everybody (i dont think its fair to extend it just for one team)? It seems based on comments in the Spreadsheet there are other free agents who would be interested in playing it as Trips as well, and I think there would still be at least 6 teams signed up which is like the minimum you need to run a tournament right?

Otherwise if this is not possible, its all right we'll make it work.

Thanks
Jason Lai
Norcross High School 2009
New York University 2013
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Columbia University Quiz Bowl wrote:Hi Everyone, due to the circumstances surrounding BURI, we are replacing it with Mike Bentley's A Culture of Improvement.
Out of curiosity, why this event over Guerrilla Film? The latter received more requests.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

With the tournament three days away, could we also please get official confirmation from the organizers as to whether Listory is remaining a doubles tournament or is being changed into a triples event? Thanks.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12

Zef
Lulu

Post by Zef »

ThisIsMyUsername wrote:
Columbia University Quiz Bowl wrote:Hi Everyone, due to the circumstances surrounding BURI, we are replacing it with Mike Bentley's A Culture of Improvement.
Out of curiosity, why this event over Guerrilla Film? The latter received more requests.
While Guerrilla film did get slightly more requests with people who have already registered, we also took into account requests from our staffers who may want to play some events and moderate others and have not been able to register on the spreadsheet yet.

With regards to size of teams for events like Listory, while we would prefer keeping teams at doubles, now that the registration period is over, I think it is alright for some teams to form triples if they so desire. However, I would like to ask that the changes be made to the spreadsheet as soon as possible so we can do a better job organizing the format of the tournament.
Huzefa Diwan
Columbia University '18
Roslyn High School '14
Emperor Pupienus
Wakka

Post by Emperor Pupienus »

Columbia University Quiz Bowl wrote: With regards to size of teams for events like Listory, while we would prefer keeping teams at doubles, now that the registration period is over, I think it is alright for some teams to form triples if they so desire.
I don't really understand the point of this policy. This tournament is doubles... except when someone feels like having a three person team.

You should either explicitly declare this tournament to be triples or cap team sizes at two. Otherwise people are asking themselves if it is unseemly to add x person as a third if most other teams are doubles, etc. If you want this to be a doubles tournament, simply declare it to be such. If you are fine with it being triples and think the demand is there, make it triples. I'm not sure why there is so much vacillation.
Jason Z.
Nichols School '14
University of Chicago '18

Food or not food?
Zef
Lulu

Post by Zef »

jasonzhou wrote:
Columbia University Quiz Bowl wrote: With regards to size of teams for events like Listory, while we would prefer keeping teams at doubles, now that the registration period is over, I think it is alright for some teams to form triples if they so desire.
I don't really understand the point of this policy. This tournament is doubles... except when someone feels like having a three person team.

You should either explicitly declare this tournament to be triples or cap team sizes at two. Otherwise people are asking themselves if it is unseemly to add x person as a third if most other teams are doubles, etc. If you want this to be a doubles tournament, simply declare it to be such. If you are fine with it being triples and think the demand is there, make it triples. I'm not sure why there is so much vacillation.
You are totally right on this. As we have only four buzzers at the moment, we're going to officially make Listory and ARTSEE triples events. Teams can, as always, make changes on the assigned spreadsheet.

Of course, with that said, I would also like to reiterate our call for teams to bring buzzers if possible.
Huzefa Diwan
Columbia University '18
Roslyn High School '14
High Dependency Unit
Yuna

Post by High Dependency Unit »

When will a schedule for this (with times and whatnot) be released? I have teammates coming in for specific events, and it would be helpful if we had a general idea of when things will start and finish.
Michael Borecki
Middlesex Middle '13,
Darien (co-captain) '17,
Bowdoin College (club president) '21
Zef
Lulu

Post by Zef »

Here's the email that was sent out to tournament attendees:
Tournament email wrote:Good morning everyone,

I want to first thank you all for registering to play the side event tournament tomorrow in NYC. I also want to apologize for the confusion regarding team size that came up over the last few days, I'm still relatively new to organizing Quizbowl tournaments and so there's a bit of a learning curve.

With regards to tournament information, please arrive at Room 102 in the Courant Institute of Mathematics (251 Mercer Street, New York, NY, 10012) at 8 AM tomorrow morning. We hope to get the tournament started at 8:30 with ARTSEE. If you have not formed a team yet, I would urge you to do that as soon as possible, so all that we have to do tomorrow morning is collect registration fees and give you updated schedule information.

A basic rundown of the times for each event:

ARTSEE ($10 per player)- 8:30 AM to 11:30 AM
Culture of Improvement (No Fee) - 11:30 AM to 1:00 PM
Lunch - 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM
Listory ($10 per player) - 2:00 PM to 7:00 PM
Ten-Point Shootout ($5 per player) - 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM

(Tournament fee- $10 per player plus above fees)

If you are only playing certain events, please arrive at Room 102 at least 30 minutes before the listed start time of the event, otherwise you may forfeit your ability to play that event. If you are going to be late or encounter any other problems, please call/text me at 1-(516)-301-6704

For everyone who has volunteered to staff, I want to thank you for lending a hand in helping run this tournament. Please make sure to bring a laptop with which you can access Microsoft Word files. We will pass around flash drives with the packets before each event.

Also again, just a reminder that if anyone can bring buzzer sets to the tournament, that would be greatly appreciated.

See you tomorrow,
Huzefa Diwan
VP, Columbia Quiz Bowl

Hi again everyone,

Just wanted to make two announcements pertaining to the tournament tomorrow:

1. Due to popular demand, we have decided to offer the Guerrilla Films event tomorrow as well. It will take place alongside the Ten Point Shootout between 7:00 PM and 9:00 PM so competitors can play one or the other. The format for Guerrilla Films will also be a shootout.

2. Please form teams by 5 PM tonight. In order to make tomorrow run as smoothly as possible, if there are still free agents after then, we will have to assign them to random teams.

Thanks, and looking forward to seeing you all 8 AM tomorrow morning.

-Huzefa
Huzefa Diwan
Columbia University '18
Roslyn High School '14
Zef
Lulu

Post by Zef »

Tournament Headquarters for this tournament will be in Room 202,not 102 as previously announced.
Huzefa Diwan
Columbia University '18
Roslyn High School '14
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

I just wanted to thank the combined forces of Columbia and NYU for hosting this tournament (or, rather, this selection of tournaments). It has been 6 years since there has been a summer open held in NYC, and given the success of this one, I hope it will be far less than 6 years before we do this again.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12

grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

this is an event that happened

john lawrence won every tournament
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Cheynem
Sin