Carleton University Side Event Weekend (Aug 20/21)

Old college threads.
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Carleton University Side Event Weekend (Aug 20/21)

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

Carleton University will be hosting a weekend of side events on August 20 and 21. People should arrive at 9:30 on both days. Saturday will go until whenever. Sunday will consist of a main event in the morning and various shorter events in the afternoon to allow people to make long drives home whenever. The location will be announced shortly.

These two posts outline all the side events that are possible for the weekend. After hearing comments from you the audience, here is the tentative schedule for the weekend:

Listory will be the marquee event for Saturday, followed by ARTSEE in the late afternoon/early evening. Both of these events cost $10/person.

A Culture of Improvement will take place Sunday morning, and the various history bowl and other short side events will happen on Sunday afternoon. Ad-hoc short side events can also happen anytime during the weekend outside of Listory where there is enough people want to play a particular side event instead of what is scheduled, or during lunch. All events on Sunday are free.

Listory will be in teams; given the interest and the space restrictions we're probably looking at 6 teams of 2-3 for a total of 10 rounds. All other events don't have bonuses and can be played either in teams or as a shootout/bee.

Due to popular demand, the mythology and trash side events will occur in the fall, the latter of which will almost certainly coincide with UOttawa's mirror of EFT (date TBD)

To register send me an email or facebook message me or whatever. I won't mind if people show up the day of and want to play since we're not gonna hit the field cap.
Last edited by Fado Alexandrino on Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020
Senator_Jay
Rikku

Re: Carleton University Side Event Weekend (Aug 20/21)

Post by Senator_Jay »

Count me in, any reason to go to Ottawa is a good reason
Jay Misuk
McMaster University, 2009, 2010, 2016
University of Toronto, 2011, 2017, 2022
MEd. (Educational Linguistics) MSc. (CogSciLing), Hon. BA (Linguistics), BA (History), BEd. (History, Geography, Music, Math, Soc. Sci, Law, Latin)

Tri-national competitor; tri-national neg champion.
To quote the ephemeral Jordan Palmer - "There is no shame, only points"
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Post by UlyssesInvictus »

Continuing my campaign to get people interested in comics by noting that I'll gladly send GRAPHIC over to the organizers so that people can play at-will if they find the time during lunch or something. (The fee being "donate what you want.")
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

UlyssesInvictus wrote:Continuing my campaign to get people interested in comics by noting that I'll gladly send GRAPHIC over to the organizers so that people can play at-will if they find the time during lunch or something. (The fee being "donate what you want.")
I might be wrong, but I think we had someone who was really looking forward to playing comics but would not be available that weekend so we were going to save it for a later date.
Aaron Dos Remedios
Formerly of the Waterloo School of Abstruse Canadian Inside Jokes (University of Waterloo)
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Post by UlyssesInvictus »

adosreme wrote:
UlyssesInvictus wrote:Continuing my campaign to get people interested in comics by noting that I'll gladly send GRAPHIC over to the organizers so that people can play at-will if they find the time during lunch or something. (The fee being "donate what you want.")
I might be wrong, but I think we had someone who was really looking forward to playing comics but would not be available that weekend so we were going to save it for a later date.
I see--do you know when? I haven't really decided on my schedule for releasing these packets, but if it's within the next few months, I suppose there's no rush. Alternatively, you can tell this dude that I'll probably read at least two packets for fun on the IRC.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

I should be able to make it for Saturday afternoon/evening.

FYI, in what seems to be a tradition for Carleton tournaments, the O-Train will not be running on the Sunday.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

If this is the only place where the schedule is being posted, then can someone update it to reflect the fact that the roster of events has changed with ARTSEE replacing NATT?

Also, Toronto will be bringing approximately 6-8 people to this.
Aaron Dos Remedios
Formerly of the Waterloo School of Abstruse Canadian Inside Jokes (University of Waterloo)
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

adosreme wrote:If this is the only place where the schedule is being posted, then can someone update it to reflect the fact that the roster of events has changed with ARTSEE replacing NATT?

Also, Toronto will be bringing approximately 6-8 people to this.
Sorry about the late post, the OP has been changed to reflect this schedule change.
Joe Su, OCT
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

HQ is River 3112. See you all this weekend!
Joe Su, OCT
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Listory happened, a team of Aaron DR, Ted, Andrej, and Cam won the tournament. http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/3858/ are stats.

All 9 ARTSEE rounds were read, Zhenglin rekt everyone. Those stats will be posted once I figure out the best way to do since it was late people left and teams reshuffled.
Joe Su, OCT