2017 NAQT SCT: February 4

Old college threads.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

2017 NAQT SCT: February 4

Post by Important Bird Area »

NAQT is pleased to announce that the 2017 SCT will take place on February 4.

Canada: Carleton University
New England: Yale
New York: Hamilton College
Mid-Atlantic: Virginia
Southeast: Georgia Tech [Please note that the Georgia Tech site will take place on Sunday, February 5.]
Florida: Central Florida
Great Lakes: Youngstown State
South Central: Western Kentucky
Midwest: WUSTL
North: Minnesota
South: Texas-Dallas
Rocky Mountain: Colorado
Northwest: Boise State [The Boise State site has been postponed due to inclement weather and will take place on Saturday, February 11.]
Northern California: Stanford
Southwest: UC San Diego
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Sigurd
Lulu

Re: 2017 NAQT SCT: February 4

Post by Sigurd »

Could we have an update on when sites will be announced? No one in our circuit has been approached about hosting nor has any idea where it will be. As I'm sure you're aware, many teams will need time to make travel plans and other preparations.
Isaac Thiessen
Martingrove CI 2015
Waterloo 2020
Victor Prieto
Auron

Post by Victor Prieto »

Hello,

Remarkably, the tournament is 48 days away, and the sites have not yet been announced, nor was there any public response to the above request for a timeline. Can we please get an update?

In addition, is it a possibility for NAQT (and ACF, I guess) to consider finalizing sites much, much further in advance? Speaking for the Penn State club, we have a really early deadline for university funding that we'd like to make in the future, but I imagine it would make logistical planning easier for a lot of clubs out there. In other words, securing host sites earlier could produce more paying teams in attendance.
Victor Prieto
Secretary, PACE
Tower Hill School '11 | Rice University '15 | Penn State University '21
Writer: NAQT (2019-present) | Writer, Editor: HSAPQ (2013-2016)
Member (and lots of other stuff): PACE (2015-present)
Important Bird Area

We hope to post the complete list of sites in the near future.

We are well aware that our timeline for announcing SCT sites has not been acceptable and we are considering what sort of structural reforms might help fix the process for 2017-18.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Important Bird Area

The first post has been updated with our list of sites. We're working on plans for an additional southeastern site and hope to have an announcement about that in the very near future.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

bird bird bird bird bird wrote:The first post has been updated with our list of sites. We're working on plans for an additional southeastern site and hope to have an announcement about that in the very near future.
I know for a fact that a team in the Southeast contacted you weeks ago about potentially hosting. I have to admit some extreme disappointment that here we are 6 weeks from the event without knowledge of what's going on. This would be a little bit more tolerable if the process was as transparent in the past when people could tell who was bidding. Right now everybody is just in the dark, wondering what the end result will be.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
mriggle
Lulu

Post by mriggle »

Ferlinghetti's Axis wrote:
bird bird bird bird bird wrote:The first post has been updated with our list of sites. We're working on plans for an additional southeastern site and hope to have an announcement about that in the very near future.
I know for a fact that a team in the Southeast contacted you weeks ago about potentially hosting. I have to admit some extreme disappointment that here we are 6 weeks from the event without knowledge of what's going on. This would be a little bit more tolerable if the process was as transparent in the past when people could tell who was bidding. Right now everybody is just in the dark, wondering what the end result will be.
As a representative from the team that Nick is referring to, I have to say that I'm more than a little bit frustrated as well. I'm usually a pretty patient person, but when one of the most important tournaments of the year is just a month away, and no one in our region has any idea where that tournament is going to take place, it's hard to be patient. We expressed interest in hosting months ago, only to be met with a vague response that didn't really indicate how we should proceed except to just wait indefinitely. For the record, we're still very interested in hosting, even though I'm not enthused about the potential time crunch on pre-tournament preparations like reserving rooms and recruiting staff. In any case, no matter where sectionals ends up, many teams (mine included) are going to be left scrambling to secure hotels, transportation, and commitments from team members. I sincerely hope that we hear about the southeastern site very soon.
Matthew Riggle
Pope John Paul II Catholic High School (Huntsville, Alabama): 2008-2012
Western Kentucky University: 2012-present
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

SCT is in one month and we still don't know where all the host sites will be, and I don't even think teams can register for the event on NAQT's website yet. We don't even know how much the tournament is going to cost!

I don't know what the problem is, but it's absolutely ridiculous that the situation has gotten to this point. It's even worse that we have no idea what is causing this problem; I'll repeat my call for a more transparent process. All we've got right now is an admission that NAQT has messed up somewhere. I can't imagine a situation where NAQT hasn't actually hurt the attendance of their own event, which is a shame because it's an important part of the college circuit.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
RexSueciae
Tidus

Post by RexSueciae »

It might be a good idea to push SCT back a week or so to give teams time to actually register, make travel plans, etc. -- this probably shouldn't go too far on account on ICT, ACF Regionals (Feb 28th), and This Tournament Is A Crime, but since this semester already has about one fewer regular-difficulty event than the last couple of years (I think) (MCAT and JABLONKIS both fell through) it would make sense to space the events out a bit more.

Alternately, we could just have SCT on the 4th like scheduled.
Vasa Clarke

Maggie Walker '14
Virginia '18
William and Mary '21
Important Bird Area

I have contacted Matthew about our plans for southeastern SCT sites.

I expect registration to be open tomorrow (and yes, SCT will stay on February 4th).
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

bird bird bird bird bird wrote:I have contacted Matthew about our plans for southeastern SCT sites.
These plans are apparently to have two sites, one at WKU and one at Georgia Tech, in addition to the existing sites in Missouri, Virginia, Florida, and elsewhere. This is probably not ideal, and I'll say again that a better structured (and more transparent) host selection process could have presented a better solution.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Important Bird Area

We've added two sites in the southeast: at Georgia Tech and at Western Kentucky. Note that the Georgia Tech site will be a Sunday tournament.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Re: 2017 NAQT SCT: February 4 - registration ends tonight!

Bumping this thread to note that registration for most SCT sites will close tonight at midnight central time. If your team is planning to attend SCT this weekend and has not yet registered, please do so today.

(If you encounter technical problems with NAQT's registration system, as a few teams did last week, please contact me directly and we'll get those sorted out.)
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

A private discussion forum has been created for this set. Select "2017 SCT Discussion" from your user control panel to apply for access.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF