ACRONYM X Specific Question Discussion

Old college threads.
InvadErGII
Rikku

ACRONYM X Specific Question Discussion

Post by InvadErGII »

If you want to see a specific question or have comments/questions about a particular tossup or bonus, post about it here.
Erik Nelson
Director, Minnesota High School Quiz Bowl
President, Play Quiz Bowl LLC
www.bouncebackfoundation.org
jonah
Auron

Re: ACRONYM X Specific Question Discussion

Post by jonah »

I enjoyed this set a lot, though I think Chad — who sat next to me and repeatedly hit me in excited gesticulation — enjoyed it even more.

I wasn't a fan of the bonus in which you had to identify resource types in Settlers of Catan. As a thread instigated by Matt Bruce recently revealed, names vary widely. I guess it's defensible to require the exact names used in the rules (though I'm not sure that those are unique across editions), but my preference would be to accommodate conventional ways people talk about the game.

I gave on-site feedback about the "Wendy's Twitter account" question (should accept @Wendys unless you think "@" doesn't sufficiently indicate "Twitter") and a few other questions I've forgotten.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
InvadErGII
Rikku

Post by InvadErGII »

jonah wrote:I wasn't a fan of the bonus in which you had to identify resource types in Settlers of Catan. As a thread instigated by Matt Bruce recently revealed, names vary widely. I guess it's defensible to require the exact names used in the rules (though I'm not sure that those are unique across editions), but my preference would be to accommodate conventional ways people talk about the game.
The answer line for this has a few alternates, but is likely not at all exhaustive:

ANSWER: bricks, lumber [or wood], ore, wool [or sheep], grain

I may end up simplifying this part, or perhaps replacing it entirely.
jonah wrote:I gave on-site feedback about the "Wendy's Twitter account" question (should accept @Wendys unless you think "@" doesn't sufficiently indicate "Twitter") and a few other questions I've forgotten.
This is reasonable, and has been updated.
Erik Nelson
Cosmas's Tabernacular Earth
Wakka

Post by Cosmas's Tabernacular Earth »

The bonus part on "heptapods" mentioned it being derived from Latin, though the word is actually derived from Greek.
Adam Swift
RIT, 2015
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

InvadErGII wrote:
jonah wrote:I wasn't a fan of the bonus in which you had to identify resource types in Settlers of Catan. As a thread instigated by Matt Bruce recently revealed, names vary widely. I guess it's defensible to require the exact names used in the rules (though I'm not sure that those are unique across editions), but my preference would be to accommodate conventional ways people talk about the game.
The answer line for this has a few alternates, but is likely not at all exhaustive:

ANSWER: bricks, lumber [or wood], ore, wool [or sheep], grain

I may end up simplifying this part, or perhaps replacing it entirely.
My team gave "wheat" for this part, which is what the groups I've played with have always called grain. We were ruled incorrect, but I think that wheat should be an acceptable alternate answer, especially since wheat is the grain depicted on the card.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
InvadErGII
Rikku

Post by InvadErGII »

Adelaide Glaciarium wrote:The bonus part on "heptapods" mentioned it being derived from Latin, though the word is actually derived from Greek.
Granny Soberer wrote: My team gave "wheat" for this part, which is what the groups I've played with have always called grain. We were ruled incorrect, but I think that wheat should be an acceptable alternate answer, especially since wheat is the grain depicted on the card.
Both of these have been updated. I agree that "wheat" should have been fine in place of grain.
Erik Nelson