Don't Mean To Be A Newb...

Old college threads.
geekjohnson
Wakka

Don't Mean To Be A Newb...

Post by geekjohnson »

Hi, my name is James Johnson and I am the Capt. for the Faulkner State CC team in Alabama. I am just wondering how exactly NAQT decides on at-large (wild-card?) bids for the ICT. Obviously there is limited space for CC teams. This year we have 5 automatic bids, which leaves only 3 at-larges. Do not get me wrong, we are practicing and studying our asses off to win our sectional, but one must always have an idea of alternate results. All I know is NAQT uses some kind of secret "formula". I hope to God it does not resemble anything near the dreaded Money Championship Series formula. Any help would be appreciated.
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

In previous years, for teams that didn't qualify automatically, NAQT generated a statistic called Q on the basis of... something (as you mentioned, the exact formula used to generate that statistic is not public knowledge, rather like a number of things in NAQT.) Teams then received at large bids to the ICT in order of decreasing Q value. There was a lot of discussion about how Q is determined some time ago, but it ended fairly unsatisfactorily so I can't tell you how they did it more specifically than that. I also don't know for sure how they're planning on doing it this year.

Good luck,
MaS
Dan Greenstein
Yuna

Post by Dan Greenstein »

Just win the Alabama CC SCT. Then you will not be sitting nervously at your computer on Selection Thursday/Friday.

If you cannot win the tournament, be sure to at least finish in the top three and put up strong statistics. Statistics are a significant part of Q. Even if you do not earn one of the three at-large selections, positioning on the waitlist is important, as many teams will decline their bids.

The good news is almost never is one team selected over another based on the name rather than results.