ACF Regionals Southeast 2/4/06: host site details

Old college threads.
Your Genial Quizmaster
Rikku

ACF Regionals Southeast 2/4/06: host site details

Post by Your Genial Quizmaster »

As previously announced, UTC will once again host ACF Regionals Southeast. on Sat., Feb. 4, 2006. If you have already notified us that you plan to attend, please do so again -- I had major computer issues in December that affected my e-mail files.

Here are details for this regional site:

LOCATION AND SCHEDULE: Tournament headquarters will once again be Grote 129 on the UTC campus; see below for directions. Registration starts at 9 AM EST on Sat. 2/4/06, with announcements at 9:45 AM and play beginning at 10 AM. When we finish is always guesswork at best, but expect to be there till at least 8 PM, probably more like 9 (including playoffs.)

FEES: Base fee: $90 per team
Discounts:
- $5 for a working buzzer system (one discount per team unless we run short of buzzers)
- $10 for a competent full-time official
- $10 for each additional team from the same school

Packet discounts/penalties and packet contacts can be found at this URL:
http://www.hsquizbowl.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1973

DRIVING DIRECTIONS:
* From Atlanta and points south -- take I-75 to Chattanooga, then I-24 west towards downtown, then follow the freeway splitoff for
U.S. 27 North, downtown Chattanooga. From 27 North take the 4th Street exit, within sight of the Tennessee Aquarium. Go right on 4th St. (you have no choice) and follow it for ca. 1 mile. Go past the UTC Arena, after which E. 4th St. becomes part of E. 3rd St. After that, take the second right on Palmetto St. Go two blocks and turn right on Vine St. (just past the EMCS Building.) Just before the place where Vine St. is blocked off, the parking lot for Grote and Holt Halls is on the right. Enter Grote by the door next to the dumpster.
* From Knoxville and points north -- take I-75 to Chattanooga, then I-24 West; directions from there same as above.
* From Nashville and points west/north: Take I-24 east to Chattanooga. As you round Moccasin Bend (freeway goes alongside river) watch for two exit lanes on the right; take the less rightward of the two, which will have signs above it for U.S. 27 N. Rest of directions are the same as above.
* From Birmingham and points southwest: Take I-59 to the outskirts of Chattanooga, where it dead-ends into I-24. Get on I-24
East and follow the Nashville directions from there.

CONTACT: Your genial quizmaster, Charlie Steinhice, coach of UTC's quizbowl team, can be reached by e-mail (steinhic at bellsouth dot net -- and yes, it's steinhic, not steinhice), or by mail at 1185 Mountain Creek Rd. #1801, Chattanooga, TN 37405.
Your Genial Quizmaster
Rikku

ACF Regionals Southeast: field update

Post by Your Genial Quizmaster »

As you probably already know, Feb. 4-5 is another tournament weekend at UTC. On Sat., Feb., 4, we will host ACF Regionals. If you are interested in attending and haven't already notified me, please let me know. As of the moment we expect:

Athens State (1-2 teams)
Berry
Florida State
Kentucky
Louisville
UTC
Vanderbilt (1-2 teams)

Our trash tournament on Sun., Feb. 5, ACF Detox, has now been restructured as a pairs tournament with reduced fees, etc. Further details can be found in the Trash discussion section of this message board.

For either or both tournaments, if you need further details, directions, packet specifications, etc., e-mail me at steinhic [at] bellsouth [dot] net. Thanks.

P.S. Mark your calendars for Sat., March 4. We'll host our spring high school tournament, the Dennis Haskins Open. Come join us as officials for the day -- gain some great experience, earn major credit for tournament fees and/or practice questions, and get treated to dinner at Provino's.

* Emeritus from the Latin: "e-" meaning "you're out" and "-meritus" meaning "you deserved it"