ACF Regionals Results

Old college threads.
Chris Frankel
Wakka

ACF Regionals Results

Post by Chris Frankel »

ACF Mid-Atlantic Regionals ended at around 7:00 pm EST, brief results are as follows:

Preliminary results:

1. VCU 8-1 (lost to Princeton A)
2. Princeton A 7-2 (lost to Yale, lost to UNC)
3. Yale 6-3 (beat Virginia, lost to UNC, lost to Maryland A, lost to VCU)
4. Virginia 6-3 (beat UNC, lost to Yale, lost to Princeton A, lost to VCU)

UNC was also 6-3, but did not make the top bracket as the result of a tiebreaker based on head to head play and bonus conversion.

Princeton A and VCU met in the final (outcome determining) game of the playoffs; both having 9-2 records at that point. VCU won on the last tossup, 260-230, to gain the ACF Mid-Atlantic Regionals title. Off the top of my head, top bracket results were:

1. VCU 10-2 (lost to Yale, beat Princeton A and Virginia in playoffs)
2. Princeton A 9-3 (lost to VCU, beat Yale and Virginia in playoffs)
3. Virginia 7-5 (beat Yale in playoffs)
3. Yale 7-5

The leading individual scorers were, starting from the top, Matt Weiner of VCU, Chris Frankel of Princeton A, Dan Wright of UNC, and Leo Wolpert of Virginia.

All in all a fun tournament with a great hosting job by Rutgers-NB, well-written and edited questions (critique and discussion to come in another thread I'm sure), and a competitive field with teams that were very well matched.

Edit: I guess if other people want to post results from other regionals, feel free to do so in this thread to consolidate.
"They sometimes get fooled by the direction a question is going to take, and that's intentional," said Reid. "The players on these teams are so good that 90 percent of the time they could interrupt the question and give the correct answer if the questions didn't take those kinds of turns. That wouldn't be fun to watch, so every now and then as I design these suckers, I say to myself, 'Watch this!' and wait 'til we're on camera. I got a lot of dirty looks this last tournament."
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

In Chicago, Chicago B (Yaphe, Sun, Sagoff) defeated Chicago A (Teitler, Ferrari, Cohn, Koo) in a two-game playoff. Full standings and personal statistics will be posted within the timeframe requested by the ACF Editors.

Andrew Yaphe led in both scoring and negs.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
Auron

The full results for the initial Round Robin:
http://home.uchicago.edu/~avebruce/ACFR ... dings.html

As I mentioned earlier, Chicago B defeated Chicago A to win the ACF regional title.

As a first time TD, I'd like to thank everyone that helped out, especially Mike Sorice and Andrew Ullsperger, who essentially did my job for me for much of the tournament. I'd also like to thank Matt Lafer, Leah Williams, Christian von Kammerer, Seth Samelson, and Mike Sorice (again) for moderating, and Mike Sorice (yet again) and David Press for printing out the packets with me at 7:30 in the morning today. I also want to thank Alice Chou for both moderating and for lending me and Andrew Ullsperger the use of her office for the day.

I also want to single out Seth Teitler and thank him for paying for the pizza, especially the broccoli pizza that he ordered and that I enjoyed two slices of.
Bruce
ACF Member emeritus
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

In the Southeast, the 9 teams played a RR then did some swiss pairing type stuff. The top 4 were:

1. Vandy A (11-0)
2. Kentucky (9-2)
3. Louisville (7-4)
4. FSU (?)

Top scorers were:

1. Seth (KY, solo)
2. Paul (Vandy A)
3. Billy (FSU, solo)
4. Matt (Vandy A)

UTC used SQBS this time, which was nice, so hopefully the full stats will be up here soon. Thanks to Charlie et. al. for a well-run tourney that was definitely the quickest regionals I've been to.
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

In New England, 9 teams showed up for a full RR and then a 4/3/3 setup (with a stub inserted to allow a full no-bye RR for the top bracket). All was done by 6:30

Brown went undefeated, followed by Harvard (one of whose losses occured in the first round when they arrived on tu 15) and Williams came in third. Dartmouth A rounded out the top bracket, and Harvard B won the middle bracket.

Top scorers were:

Jerry at 72.5 PPG
Micah at 46
Frank at 41.5
Paco at 40.5
Paci at 33.5
(First two of Brown, then next two of Harvard A and last of Williams B)

For winning the neg prize, Jerry recieved the novelization of the film "American Giggolo" and the title 9 award winner recieved the autobiography of Victoria Gotti. Others recieved their pick of real books.

Thank you to Steve and Mike for coming down to staff, as well as to those Brandesians who staffed. Also, thanks to ACF for a solid, tight question set, and to Brown who remained to scrimmage 4 more rounds. Hope a good time was had.

Dan
Dan Passner Brandeis '06 JTS/Columbia '11-'12 Ben Gurion University of the Negev/Columbia '12?
Mr. Kwalter
Tidus

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

In the Southwest, ACF Regionals happened. It was the first time in a while, and six teams came out to Dallas to play the tournament. After a double round robin, Texas A&M went undefeated, and Texas went 8-2. Top scorers were (from memory, official stats posted later):

Susan Mitchell - 49 PPG
Matt Nance - 45 PPG
Eric Kwartler - 40 PPG

The field was composed of UT, A&M, UT-Dallas, Tulsa, OU, and a "Young Bucks" exhibition team composed of intrepid high school students. Thanks to ACF for a good set,

EK
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

To be precise, we lost one game to Harvard A in the playoffs, so discounting Harvard's effective forfeit, we split the series with them.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
canaanbananarama
Wakka

Post by canaanbananarama »

Results from the West Coast:

In the round robin, UCLA [Dwight, Ray, Jay, and I] (4-2) defeated Stanford A [Kevin, Kristiaan, Frank, and that other guy] (2-4) by margin of final record. Berkeley A finished tied with UCLA at 4-2, but featured an ineligible player and had an 0-2 head to head record against UCLA. Also in the mix was the further ineligible Stanford B team (2-4).

Leading scorers were Juliana from Berkeley A, Paul L. (Berkeley A), Kevin (Stanford A), Brendan ("Stanford" B), and me (UCLA).

It was decided to stop the regular tournament after six rounds and adopt a singles format, in which players played on teams randomized after each round, with the goal of being on as many winning teams as possible. Paul Lujan and Dwight Wynne (UCLA) ended up tied with 5-1 records.

Good tournament, except for the rather poor variety of teams-this seems to be simply what happens when ACF Regionals is played in Northern California, making it available to whatever Stanford and Berkeley can muster and the one random Southern California team (UCLA this year) that bothers to show up. I'll suppose this is probably the only the ACF Regionals site that would ever come close to having over half the tournament played in ACF Regionals: Exile Island format. Next year, USC needs to host it.

Charles Meigs
ezubaric
Rikku

Post by ezubaric »

Any chance of getting the midwest stats for the playoffs?
Jordan Boyd-Graber
UMD (College Park, MD), Faculty Advisor 2018-present
UC Boulder, Founder / Faculty Advisor 2014-2017
UMD (College Park, MD), Faculty Advisor 2010-2014
Princeton, Player 2004-2009
Caltech (Pasadena, CA), Player / President 2000-2004
Ark Math & Science (Hot Springs, AR), Player 1998-2000
Monticello High School, Player 1997-1998

Human-Computer Question Answering:
http://qanta.org/
Auron

ezubaric wrote:Any chance of getting the midwest stats for the playoffs?
Nope. The statistician left to become a moderator during the playoffs.
Bruce
ACF Member emeritus
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

Also, initial stats for our region are up here: http://texasquizbowl.cromero.com/d/stat ... /Brandeis/

(Thanks to Chris for hosting.)
Dan Passner Brandeis '06 JTS/Columbia '11-'12 Ben Gurion University of the Negev/Columbia '12?
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Rothlover wrote:Also, initial stats for our region are up here: http://texasquizbowl.cromero.com/d/stat ... /Brandeis/

(Thanks to Chris for hosting.)
Why isn't the last playoff game in these stats? The other two are, but that one isn't.
Jerry Vinokurov
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

the one between you and Harvard, where harvard left early?
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Oh, I see... I forgot that only the top bracket had played that game. My mistake.
Jerry Vinokurov