Are there really "Masters" tourneys?

Old college threads.
pappy97
Lulu

Are there really "Masters" tourneys?

Post by pappy97 »

Hey everyone, my name is Papool and I was a good high school quiz bowler back in my day (HS class of 97), I loved it and ran an annual Quiz Bowl tourney at my school for 3 years.

Unfortunately my undergrad school (Univ of the Pacific in Stockton, CA) never had a team and I couldn't get one together.

Now I'm a 27 year old lawyer who still yearns to duke it out 4 on 4 with a buzzer in my hand buzzing in after only 3-4 words of the question have been read.

I just heard of this concept of "Masters" tourneys. Do they really exist? Are they really open?

Does anyone know if anything like this exists on the west coast? I am from in and currently live in the SF Bay Area. I know that one Gaius Stern originally from UC Berkeley has organized college and high school events, but I didn't know if any masters events took place here. Thanks for any help you can provide in helping me back into my one big passion!!!
canaanbananarama
Wakka

Post by canaanbananarama »

There are usually several events throughout the year in the West Coast that are open to any players. For the summer, there will possibly be two events held. I'm trying to host a mirror (at UCLA) of an East Coast tournament that would likely be hosted in late June (June 24th is the probable date as of right now). I've heard through the grapevine that some Berkeley people might be interested in coming to that-if you were interested and could stomach the seven-hour drive to Southern California, you could try to get in touch with Berkeley quizbowl and see if they have availability in a car. Their website is http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~quizbowl/

Berkeley also has hosted a mirror of the Chicago Open tournament-this year the tournament is July 29, but I suppose they have some flexibility on dates. I haven't heard an announcement from Berkeley, but they've run the tournament in the past with relatively few teams, so it's possible it will happen again. I would contact Paul Lujan about that tournament-his e-mail is on the club website.

During the school year as well, several events are hosted with open fields. Berkeley's fall invitational tournament, WIT, is, to my knowledge, an open event. Actually, almost every event, excepting NAQT Sectionals and novice tournaments, has open fields, though for some tournaments, you forsake your chance of winning the tournament (ACF Fall/Regionals). Stanford used to run tournaments back in the day too.

If you have any further questions about the West Coast circuit or the UCLA event, you can contact me at cmeigs at ucla.edu

Charles Meigs
UCLA College Bowl
pappy97
Lulu

Post by pappy97 »

Thanks for the reply.

Your tournament in June sounds cool and I'd love to participate.

If I wanted to come, I would just fly down and rent a car, so that isn't a problem.

My concern is that I don't exactly have a team. I saw an annoucement for a tournament in the South (UTC) on the same day, and it mentioned that people might be able to go solo or (better yet) be a free agent and either join a team needing a player or form a team of 4 free agents.

Would this possible in your tournament?

When do you plan to make an official announcement here? If you need a packet submission to play, this is no problem for me.

Thanks again, and I only wish I had known of this sooner!
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Hey Papool,

The UCLA tournament is going to be a mirror of another tournament that's running in Pittsburgh on the same day. If you look in the "Announcements" section, you should see a thread for the "East Coast Summer Open." I'm the chief editor for that tournament, so if you are going to write a packet (which I strongly encourage you to do), you should send it to me at jerry_v at brown dot edu.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance