JUCO Quizbowl NIT (Not-invited-tournament)

Old college threads.
gabobo
Lulu

JUCO Quizbowl NIT (Not-invited-tournament)

Post by gabobo »

For JUCO/ CC quiz bowl programs not invited to NAQT's ICT in Minneapolis:

Faulkner State Community College, with much help from Bevill State – Jasper, will host the first NIT (Not Invited Tournament) on Friday, April 13 at Faulkner State’s Gulf Shores Campus in Gulf Shores, Alabama. Entrance fees are $100.00 per team (not per school). We will provide snacks for breakfast and a pizza lunch. Registration will be from 8:00 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. A brief coaches meeting will follow. Competition will begin at 9:00 a.m. Any questions may be directed to Jim Sims, [email protected], (251) 580-2132.

I am making arrangements with NAQT to use the only IS set that Alabama teams haven't used this year, IS65-A. Hope this works for anyone anywhere else who wants to come see the sugar white sands of Alabama's Riviera, and keep playing quizbowl.
Glenn Allen Bobo
Bevill State Community College
Jasper, AL
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Seriously, a collegiate tournament on an IS-A set? It's bad enough to play on high school questions, but now people are playing on questions for high school JV teams? Do you have no self respect at all?

I like to think that junior colleges in Alabama are pretty well-regarded institutions compared to similar systems elsewhere but you are really selling yourselves short if you are willing to play quizbowl on questions designed for 9th graders. I'm sure there are ways for you to acquire real questions if you want to, but I didn't see any inquiries being made here.
NoahMinkCHS
Rikku

Post by NoahMinkCHS »

I wonder if NAQT would consider a mirror of D2 ICT. They've mirrored HSNCT before and (far as I know) that went OK. It appears there's already an ICT mirror (of some sort) planned, albeit a month later.

But yeah, at least use a regular IS set (varsity high school level) if you must use them at all... A-series is just too easy for a college (or even an average high school) event.

Aside from that, though, I think this tournament is a great idea and I hope it goes well. Best of luck.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Seriously, take their advice. I'm a high schooler who has played on this set, and our high school team ate it alive. No college has business playing on these questions.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
gabobo
Lulu

JUCO NIT Cancelled.

Post by gabobo »

First of all, the tournament is being cancelled due to a lack of interest - perhaps it's because of the "A" set, maybe everyone's just burned out or broke.

Second, while an NAQT "A" set was not our first choice, it was available, and had not been used by any of the juco's in the Southeast.

Third, and most importantly... We really just wanted an excuse to get together at the beach since we weren't invited to Minneapolis, and had some travel budget money left.
Glenn Allen Bobo
Bevill State Community College
Jasper, AL
bdavery
Lulu

NIT

Post by bdavery »

I did contact the tournament leader for this event and offered the Kansas state CC championship set we wrote for this year (on the assumption that no one from KS would be driving to AL for a weekend)--since the A set proposal got such deserved ridicule.

If any other CC group wants to do a tournament this spring, contact us; we'll be happy to set you up.
Bryce Avery
President, Avery Enterprises
http://www.averyenterprises.net/blog