Sun n' Fun VIII and a 1/2: Fewer Ns Better Qs (6/30/07)@USF

Old college threads.
SnookerUSF
Rikku

Sun n' Fun VIII and a 1/2: Fewer Ns Better Qs (6/30/07)@USF

Post by SnookerUSF »

Quizbowl at USF is proud to announce its 8th sort of annual academic packet submission tournament:

Sun n' Fun VIII and a 1/2: Fewer Ns Better Qs
It will be held on the University of South Florida's Tampa Campus on June 30th, 2007. A full packet of questions will be required from each team attending. If this is absolutely not possible, arrangements might be made. Please direct all inquiries, packets, registration information to Ahmad Ragab (e-mail address: aragab at mail dot usf dot edu). Specific locations and times to follow.

Fee Structure:
Base Fee: $110

Discounts:
Additional Team: -$10 (per team)
Working Buzzer: -$10 (up to 2)
Competent Moderator: -$10 (up to 2)
Travel Discount: -$10 (more than 200 miles away)
Minimum Fee: $50

Packet Discounts/Penalties:
Receiving a Full Acceptable Packet
before May 15th: -$40
before June 1st: -$20
before June 14th: $0
June 15th or later: +$20
No packet penalty: +$40 (please turn in a packet)

Packet Format, Difficulty and Distribution:

Format:
The questions should be sorted by category: put all the literature tossups and bonuses under the heading “Literatureâ€
Last edited by SnookerUSF on Tue May 01, 2007 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Sweet, Ahmad: those question examples indeed do approximate what I expect ACF Fall 2009 to look like!

Settle down, Kwartler, I'm kidding!
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

ValenciaQBowl wrote:Sweet, Ahmad: those question examples indeed do approximate what I expect ACF Fall 2009 to look like!
If this were true, I'd be on the plane to Florida.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I have a question. During the summers I live in Fort Myers and I would like to come play solo just to get my toes wet in a college tournament. Would it be ok if I came?
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
SnookerUSF
Rikku

Post by SnookerUSF »

ValenciaQBowl wrote:Sweet, Ahmad: those question examples indeed do approximate what I expect ACF Fall 2009 to look like!
I expect you to be there with bells on, and perhaps a knee brace...
grapesmoker wrote: If this were true, I'd be on the plane to Florida.
The invitation is of course open, perhaps you could work on "remedying" your pasty-white-Skolnickitis here in sunny Florida as well.
charlieDfromNKC wrote: I have a question. During the summers I live in Fort Myers and I would like to come play solo just to get my toes wet in a college tournament. Would it be ok if I came?
Absolutely, Fort Myers is only about a 2 hour drive from Tampa, the more the merrier.
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Hey, I tried to send you an email about freelancing a packet but it bounced.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
SnookerUSF
Rikku

Post by SnookerUSF »

grapesmoker wrote:Hey, I tried to send you an email about freelancing a packet but it bounced.
Thanks for catching that. I have edited the announcement, the e-mail adress is: aragab at mail dot usf dot edu

Apologies,
Ahmad
jeremycec
Lulu

Re: Sun n' Fun VIII and a 1/2: Fewer Ns Better Qs (6/30/07)@

Post by jeremycec »

SnookerUSF wrote:Quizbowl at USF is proud to announce its 8th sort of annual academic packet submission tournament:
Thanks for doing this Ahmad. You can count on me for a packet, although there's no way I can live up to those examples. :wink:

Jeremy R.
SnookerUSF
Rikku

Update

Post by SnookerUSF »

Here is the updated attendance for this year's Sun n Fun:

FSU (1)
UF (1)
Valencia (2)
Charlie Dees and friends (1)

There is always room for more, so if you are in Tampa Bay area and feel like hearing some questions. There is room.

Thanks,
Ahmad
Ahmad Ragab, itinerant moderator at the New School for Social Research

ACF Nationals 2011:"Too real for the streets"
-Auroni Gupta

"Can 40,000 redacted topic Tossups be wrong?"

"With my gnomes I'm highlighting the danger of political opportunism and right-wing ideology. I get the feeling that this gnome has reopened an old wound."
-Ottomar Hoerl
embily718
Lulu

Post by embily718 »

See you there!
Success isn't a destination you can ever reach. Success is the quality of your journey.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Emily Hooper
OWC Collegiate High School
Class of 2007
SnookerUSF
Rikku

Results

Post by SnookerUSF »

This year's Sun 'n Fun VIII and 1/2: Fewer N's Better Qs saw six plucky teams participate. The USF House Team consisting of Jim Baker, Kevin Comer (of Florida extraction) and Jeremy Rasmussen went an impressive 10-0 against the rest of the field, in second place was the Valencia Black Team going 7-3 featuring the ever magnanimous Chris Borglum and Amy Harvey. Third place went to the UF B tean with the ever-lovable Aaron Kashtan and Zach Harper as members.

Chris Borglum narrowly outpaced Aaron Kashtan for top individual scorer honors, with 76 TU-17 Negs and 67.5 ppg. The irrepressible Billy Beyer was the aggressive buzzer of the tournament racking up 26 hard fought negs.

Full Statistics are available at:
http://aragab.myweb.usf.edu/SunnFun2008 ... dings.html

I would like to thank all the teams for coming to participate in this year's Sun N Fun. The Maryland Mirror is due to start in a few hours, good luck to all the teams competing today, for the Florida folks please refrain from discussing questions until the mirror has completed.

Thank you,
Ahmad Ragab

P.S.
This being my first time as tournament editor I would appreciate any comments, of course I would prefer if they were constructive, but I understand if that isn't always possible. When the mirror is completed I would like to share my experiences, and my new found respect for Editors.
Ahmad Ragab, itinerant moderator at the New School for Social Research

ACF Nationals 2011:"Too real for the streets"
-Auroni Gupta

"Can 40,000 redacted topic Tossups be wrong?"

"With my gnomes I'm highlighting the danger of political opportunism and right-wing ideology. I get the feeling that this gnome has reopened an old wound."
-Ottomar Hoerl
jeremycec
Lulu

Re: Results

Post by jeremycec »

Ahmad, it was a fun if not challenging tournament. I will refrain from the usual chatter about repeated question themes, etc. As you said, tournament editing isn't for the faint-hearted. I enjoyed myself and was impressed that Kevin didn't look at all rusty, and Jim got some crazy obscure stuff. You guys were amazing.

A few interesting observations from the stats:
* The average bonus conversion rate was 11.67. So, question-writers/editor missed the desired mark of 15-18 pts.
* Chris/Amy got zero bonus points on five bonuses heard against us the last round (must have been all quantum physics)
* Aaron K's 12, 0 performance against FSU was the highest of the day. That's pretty freakin awesome on those Q's.

Cheers,
Jeremy R.
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Hmm. My scoresheet from the ass-whuppin y'all handed us in the last match shows no zero bonuses for me and Amy. But we sure didn't get to answer too many. And let me echo your praise for Kevin Comer, who was impressively unrusty, and my acolyte Jim Baker, who appears ready to fulfill his Oedipal destiny by slaying me (but keep yer damn hands off me wife!).
NotBhan
Rikku

Re: Results

Post by NotBhan »

SnookerUSF wrote:
Chris Borglum narrowly outpaced Aaron Kashtan for top individual scorer honors, with 76 TU-17 Negs and 67.5 ppg.
FWIW ... in UF B's fourth match, Zach is listed at 7/4 and Aaron at 1/2. I'm guessing that might be backwards, in which case Aaron would be at 70ppg.
"Keep it civil, please." -- Matt Weiner, 6/7/05
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Congratulations, Aaron!