W&M EFT: Hieronymous BOSCH Appreciation Day (10/6/2007)

Old college threads.
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

W&M EFT: Hieronymous BOSCH Appreciation Day (10/6/2007)

Post by Zip Zap Rap Pants »

The Early Fall Tournament II Mirror at William & Mary: Hieronymus BOSCH Appreciation Day (Ballin Outrageous Shiznet the College Hosts) will take place on Saturday, October 6th, 2007 in Williamsburg, VA. Registration will be from 8:30 am to 9:15 am with rounds starting at 9:30 am. We're running a high school division of this as well, so I'll cross post in the appropriate forum. Each division has a field cap of 16 for now, so please, register as soon as possible.

The questions for this all are written by Brown, so refer to this (http://www.hsquizbowl.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3942) in case I miss anything. The low question difficulty is intended to attract newer players and teams, so we're really hoping that will happen with this tournament.

The rules will be standard mACF, so see here http://www.acf-quizbowl.com/documents/rules.php. Exceptions: halftime substitutions will be allowed and overtime shall consist of three tossups without bonuses (a la NAQT).

Depending on the number of teams, we will run some sort of round robin with possible rebracketing, totaling 9 to 11 rounds. After all those prelim rounds are done we will have tiebreaking games for second and third and also have an advantaged finals set. Any second-place team within 2 games of the leader in the standings may contest the finals. The questions for finals/placement tiebreaking are a little harder than the rest in the tournament.

Awards will be presented to each division's top three finishing teams and the top scorers after initial prelims. Also, I’ll present a very special Neg Champion prize in each division.

For the college teams, the overall fee structure is very similar to that used by Brown, and is as follows:

$100 base fee per team
-$5 per working buzzer system
-$10 per moderator/scorekeeper
-$10 per 200 miles traveled
-$20 for new/reformed teams which did not play in any invitational tournaments last year. For college teams, if you only participated in CBI or HCASC last year you’re still eligible for this.
+$20 cancellation fee per team for teams cancelled on the Thursday or Friday before the tournament, or that don’t show up on Saturday.

Minimum fee per team: $60

I will post field updates on our website (http://www.geocities.com/wmquizbowl/tournaments) as often as possible when teams sign up. Results will eventually be posted here as well.

Officially Registered Teams:
Washington & Lee
VCU
UMD - 2
Wake Forest
Penn
SVU
NC State
CMU (no, not Central Michigan!)
UMBC - 2
UNC-Chapel Hill
Duke - 2
CNU/JSR CC
Liberty
Virginia Tech - 2
UVA (Will Butler)
D.C. Area United (Dan Puma/Shantanu Jha/extra MLW players)
Maggie Walker
W&M House Team

Total: 22

(for those less Virginia-savvy, SVU = Southern Virginia U., CNU - Christopher Newport U., JSR - J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College)

The college field will include one or two William & Mary house teams, unless the overall cap of 32 is reached. These house teams will include only those in our club who have not yet played in a college tournament, so it’ll mostly be freshmen. This way we can ensure that we’ll have an even number of teams in the field, because if an odd number of teams register, then we’ll have one house team, but if an even number register, then we’ll have two.

I will serve as overall tournament director for this, but the tournament will use two different buildings (Washington and Tucker, for those familiar with W&M) for the two separate divisions, so I will only directly oversee one division for the duration of game rounds. Which one that will be depends on how things take shape, but I do know our statistician will likely be Nick "the Rabbi" Hoelker and I'll have someone else be Assistant TD for the division I'm not in. It'll be announced later.

If you have any further questions or want to register, email me at mpmorr AT wm DOT edu and I'll send you the full announcement (which includes a couple more details not here). Thanks for reading such a garrulous post. We hope to see you in October, and please remember, avoid hell, or else a giant pocketknife will come out of a pair of ears and slice you...

Sincerely Your Tournament Director/Art Critic,

Matt Morrison

W&M Quizbowl Club Co-President

[Edited to continuously add teams]
Last edited by Zip Zap Rap Pants on Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:52 pm, edited 38 times in total.
Matt Morrison, William & Mary '10, Tour Guide &c., MA in History '12?

"All the cool people eat mangoes while they smoke blunts and do cannonballs off a trampoline into my hot tub..."
-Matt Weiner

“In beer there is strength,
In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

new email: mpmorr at email dot wm dot edu
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

I should probably mention something about the CNU/JSR combo. Since this tournament is geared toward less experienced players, for the most part no master teams with mixed affiliation or with anyone not enrolled at an institution of higher education will be allowed (graduate students are welcome though). I will grant an exception to the mixed affiliation rule on a case-by-case basis, but generally, if you’re trying to make a team stronger through a coalition, it won’t be allowed, but if it’s a case of a player simply not having a team at his/her school or you're trying to scrape together a full team, it will be allowed. In case of this, the new team discount will be determined according to whichever club is paying. Anyway, for CNU/JSR, I've already approved what they plan on doing with their roster; it's a case of a single JSR player not having a team and CNU trying to field a full one at their very first tournament.

"All the cool people eat mangoes while they smoke blunts and do cannonballs off a trampoline into my hot tub..."
-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Shamelessly bumping this thread. Also, note the field update. I'll just edit it every time we get new teams - you're more likely to see me update this than our actual website. It's good to see that The Citadel will be making what I believe is their first non-CBI appearance. Also, Duke and Penn may send more than one team, it remains to be seen.

If you need hotel advice, I'd recommend the Williamsburg Days Inn, it's within walking distance of campus. Let me know if you have any more questions (see my email address in my sig).

-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

A bunch of registrations have come in lately, which is good. Remember, you haven't officially registered until you let me know the number of teams/buzzers/volunteers you'll be bringing.

The buzzer situation looks like this:
Duke - 1
UNC - 2
VCU - 1
NC State - 1
Liberty - 2
UMBC - 1 or 2
UMD - 2
CMU - 2
Washington & Lee - 1
Virginia Tech - 3
John Harris - 1
W&M house buzzers - 2

Also for hotels I forgot to mention the Governor's Inn, which is also pretty good http://www.history.org/visit/stayWithUs/governorsInn/. Depending on field size and if we get enough high schools to warrant a separate division or not, we might have a Division II, but we'll see. The high school division is on life support now (only like 3 teams have shown a lot of interest, 3 more are shaky), so that increases the likelihood of just rolling with a D2.

[Edited to continuously add buzzers]
Last edited by Zip Zap Rap Pants on Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:16 am, edited 8 times in total.

-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Maryland will be bringing two buzzer systems and either one or two moderators. We're still working out how many teams we're brining, but it should still be at least two.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

Wall of Shawarma wrote:The high school division is on life support now (only like 3 teams have shown a lot of interest, 3 more are shaky), so that increases the likelihood of just rolling with a D2.
You can put us down as one of the shakies. I've got you on the schedule, but you're really on the outskirts of where we're willing to travel. If something else closer comes up (or if I just don't have enough student interest), we'll not be attending. Considering this is to occur 10/6, I'm doubtful something else will come up.
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

Wall of Shawarma wrote: Depending on field size and if we get enough high schools to warrant a separate division or not, we might have a Division II, but we'll see. The high school division is on life support now (only like 3 teams have shown a lot of interest, 3 more are shaky), so that increases the likelihood of just rolling with a D2.

Now, what would be the restriction for eligibility for this hypothetical D2 be? Would it be the NAQT-style, which focuses on the players' eligibility as the determinant? NCAA-style, as in based on the school you are playing for? Or something really trippy like If-you-were-in-D2:-The-Mighty-Ducks?
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

dsfcaptains2005 wrote:
Wall of Shawarma wrote: Depending on field size and if we get enough high schools to warrant a separate division or not, we might have a Division II, but we'll see. The high school division is on life support now (only like 3 teams have shown a lot of interest, 3 more are shaky), so that increases the likelihood of just rolling with a D2.

Now, what would be the restriction for eligibility for this hypothetical D2 be? Would it be the NAQT-style, which focuses on the players' eligibility as the determinant? NCAA-style, as in based on the school you are playing for? Or something really trippy like If-you-were-in-D2:-The-Mighty-Ducks?
Yeah I'll go with that last option and restrict it to anyone who's seen that movie...

Nah it'll be restricted to anyone in their first or second year of competition. I *could* go with one big field and not split it up into D1 and D2, then just award a trophy to the top D2 team and do playoffs for it and all that. Or the high school division might actually take shape, which would be ideal. Hopefully Howard can make it!

-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Out of curiosity, how many rounds do you plan on doing? As much as I want to play all of the rounds, I get the impression teams new to the ACF circuit won't appreciate staying much past five o'clock.
Mike Bentley
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Yeah I plan on going no later than 6. I was thinking of about 10-13 rounds (and it might be that only a select few play in the last couple rounds anyway.) It all kind of depends on the number of teams we get too. I'll likely move the cap up to at least 24 now that it looks like the high school division will at least be pretty small.

Also, note that UMBC and NC State have officially registered, and we've gotten interest from several others as well since my last post (it's all been edited in though).

-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

High school teams should let me know by Thursday if they're coming, because that's the latest I can make a decision on whether to have a separate high school field (basically I'll do it if it gets to 8 teams). You don't have to officially register by then and if you really don't know you can let me know later, but be forewarned that not letting me know anything by then increases the likelihood of there not being a separate HS division.

-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Sweet, it looks like the William & Mary College Bowl team might play. I'm making them pay the entry fee like a normal team though, so if they play and we have a house team, it could be a fight for the ages between them (also the teams that play college bowl that come will see that it's not us they're beating up at Regionals).

-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

I ordered trophies today, and at that point I only knew of 5-6 high school teams that were coming. So I ordered no high school trophies, just a Division II trophy. However, later today I discovered that Howard is coming and that Robinson is interested. So there will be a Division II field with a significant number of high school teams, it's just that they'll also have to compete with college teams with players in their first or second year of collegiate competition (that's the restriction on DII we're making). Also, I haven't decided yet for sure on whether to run a separate DII field or run one big combined field and just award the DII title to the best DII team (and do advantaged finals for it and all). If you're coming on the 6th, let me know your opinion on this and whether you'd like to have a separate or combined field. You can also let me know how many of your teams will be Division II, but eventually I'll send out an email asking teams about that, so that's not imperative right now.

-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

There will likely only be like 5 teams with player not in their first few years of competition, so I don't think splitting the field is such a great plan. I mean, this is a mirror of EFT, it's first and foremost a college tournament, and high school teams know that coming in. Just have everyone play in the same division and award a div 2 prize.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

DumbJaques wrote:There will likely only be like 5 teams with player not in their first few years of competition, so I don't think splitting the field is such a great plan. I mean, this is a mirror of EFT, it's first and foremost a college tournament, and high school teams know that coming in. Just have everyone play in the same division and award a div 2 prize.
QFT
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

I wouldn't really have a problem either way. Separate fields are probably a better idea for trying to keep newer people around, but I can see college teams consistently losing to high school teams as being discouraging.
Mike Bentley
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

Post by Red-necked Phalarope »

FWIW, UNC's team will be Div I.
Gonzagapuma1
Tidus

Post by Gonzagapuma1 »

I think I speak for DC Area United when I say that we would rather have a combined field.
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

For those who don't know already, it will in fact be a combined field. I'm still waiting on Penn, UVA, VCU, 'Nova, TJHSST, and the Citadel to confirm their attendance and the number of teams/buzzers/volunteers/other discounts they'll have.

Also, Mike - is the number of UMD teams holding steady at 2 (along with the number of volunteers)?

[Edit: wow that was quick, already heard from Penn, VCU, and Citadel.]

-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Yeah, we'll be bringing two teams. For what it's worth, one team will be Div I, one Div II. We're definitely bringing one moderator (Jonathan). Charles is still deciding whether he's coming or not.
Mike Bentley
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Sorry if I'm missing something that's actually there, but which building should we actually show up in on Saturday morning?
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Sorry, that was in the original full word document announcement I sent, but it's not here. It's Tucker Hall room 120. I'll remind everyone who's coming by email though.

And thanks Mike, just let me know the moderator situation soon. Edit: and oh yeah tell Charles he'll get free breakfast and lunch if he volunteers. Bribery sure is the Amurrcan way (just like smuggling fireworks out of Mexico).
Last edited by Zip Zap Rap Pants on Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

The registration deadline is in 24 hours, and that includes not only teams I haven't heard anything from, but also the interested teams I have listed. I'm making one exception for WSSU because they didn't know about the tournament till I think Sunday and now they're probably coming pending coach approval, so I'm giving them one extra day.

Also please note that if you cancel teams after the registration deadline, we'll expect $20 for each team canceled, so if you expect to drop any let me know in the next 24 hours so you won't be charged.

-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Zip Zap Rap Pants wrote:Sorry, that was in the original full word document announcement I sent, but it's not here. It's Tucker Hall room 120. I'll remind everyone who's coming by email though.

And thanks Mike, just let me know the moderator situation soon. Edit: and oh yeah tell Charles he'll get free breakfast and lunch if he volunteers. Bribery sure is the Amurrcan way (just like smuggling fireworks out of Mexico).
Ok, Charles is coming.
Mike Bentley
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Hey, where can we park?
Mike Bentley
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Bentley Like Beckham wrote:Hey, where can we park?
Yeah, I've been asked that already, it's a good question. I'll let teams know via email.

By the way it looks like there will be 22 teams total, which works out okay format-wise.

-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

The field is now finalized (see first post), and all is well with the world...

-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

I have some brief and unofficial results:

The top playoff bracket consisted of VCU, UVA (the Will Butler Experience), UPenn, UMD A, DC United, and Virginia Tech A. I know UMD A cleared the field at 11-0, while Penn went 9-2 to, I believe, claim second. VCU might have ended up 3rd but you'll have to wait for matt to post full stats and whatnot.

As for the tournament, I thought it went very well considering it's William and Mary's first real attempt at a college event since the club was formed a year ago. The questions were great, but I guess there's another thread for that. My only real complaint is that I just now I got home, largely due to some reader slowness issues - but that's really out of W&M's hands given their club is so new and there are a finite number of local volunteers (most of whom Matt did a good job of rounding up). All in all, it's great to have a fresh team on the circuit contributing in such a positive way, even if my requests to have Matt Morrison's album distributed as the scoring prize went unheeded.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
The Toad to Wigan Pier
Tidus

Post by The Toad to Wigan Pier »

Adding to what Chris already posted, VCU and myself tied for third. I thought Matt did a great job running the tournament. The only complaint I had with the running of the tournament was that in the playoffs, there was a problem with different rooms playing on different packets which made a bit of confusion.
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

One thing to add: It's probably not a good idea to charge for food at the tournament. It's pretty much assumed that the entry fee covers a basic offering of breakfast. Charging for lunch isn't really a big deal, in fact it's a nice option to have, but breakfast should be free.

Other than that, things went pretty well for W&M's first college tournament. I guess just try to get people to read more in practice before you host your next event so you can get some more experienced moderators to make sure things get done a little faster.
Mike Bentley
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Bentley Like Beckham wrote:One thing to add: It's probably not a good idea to charge for food at the tournament. It's pretty much assumed that the entry fee covers a basic offering of breakfast. Charging for lunch isn't really a big deal, in fact it's a nice option to have, but breakfast should be free.
Wow I just slept for 13 hours after the tournament, so I'm sorry this is coming late.

Yeah for our high school tournament last year breakfast was free, but this year my ruthless capitalist treasurer insisted we charge. I said in the announcement (at least the full word document announcement) that we'd be selling breakfast, but I do apologize for it now since it didn't work out well and people expected it to be free. As for the moderators, most of the ones volunteering from elsewhere did a great job as far as I could tell, but some of the house ones were very slow (which even required me to do some pinch moderating in one room). That was because of inexperience (they were all in their first year of joining the club) and because they were usually all-day volunteers; I like to keep my moderators constant and make people who have to leave/come later the scorekeepers. Most of the house moderators from last year's HS tournament didn't show up this time or I made them keep score because they were slow. By my count logistical stuff held us up by only 40 minutes or so beyond schedule, the rest was moderators. Washington Hall especially held things up because of one house moderator and one outside moderator who took a while, plus Jon Magin had some delays because he didn't have a laptop at one point.

Reminder to self and anyone else who runs tournaments for us - in the future:

I'll make breakfast part of the registration cost so it's essentially free.

I'll try to get the word out on lunch better so we can actually make money off that.

I'll make sure I'll put the war room elsewhere, because I got terrible reception in Tucker 120 (apologies to anyone who tried to call me).

I'll try harder to shoot for one building, even if that means a crappy one on the new campus area.

I'll try to get more folks to read in practice leading up to the tournament so I'll know who's good. I had a moderator training session the day before the tournament, but only 2 people showed up because it was Busch Gardens day for students.

I'll try to get the laptop deal straight earlier, get people's passwords (if they don't mind), and use a flash drive instead of email for the questions (I know that held up Andrew Feist b/c I kept screwing up his email address). The laptop use was sort of a last minute decision because I got the questions so late from Brown it was hard to print a sufficient number of copies, plus I realized the day before just how many laptops we'd have. A big thanks to everyone who brought one.

I'll get the buzzer patrol done a little earlier, props to Tucker Cole for heroics in that area. That held things up only 10 minutes max though.

I'll try to get someone who knows what they're doing and won't take long to do the moderator meeting. I heard our new co-president Dan Leifer did a good job with the morning announcements, but still I probably should have done that instead so the mod. meeting could get done earlier (I was just too busy to start it earlier).

I'll beat and/or battle rap Matt Tobin and Mark Guerci into submission to force them to play on our house team, so it won't suck :twisted:

I'll get Post Mortem CD's for all the top individual performers. :cool:

I'll remind moderators in person (not just email) to read rounds 1-10 first, then playoff round 1, and not get confused on which round they're on. Charles and maybe some others read rounds 1-9, playoff round 1, then round 10, but it didn't come back to haunt us because we didn't need but 13 rounds (Will could have challenged Penn for the DII title in a 2 games max advantaged final).

I'll get some new ink cartridges for my printer so it won't panic and refuse to print off the stats.

I appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions, I really learned a lot yesterday. For one, running a college tournament definitely ain't the same as running the Ebirt!

At last, the top playoff bracket results (again, sorry for the delay, I slept for 13 hours):

1. UMD A 11-0
2. Penn 9-2 (DII) - won DII title
3. The Will Butler Experience 8-3 (DII)
4. VCU 8-3 (based on bonus conversion)
5. D.C. Area United 7-4 (DII)
6. Virginia Tech A 7-4 (based on bonus conversion)

Individual stats after prelims went like this:

Will Butler (something like 99.5 ppg) - F
UMD's Chris Ray (something like 98 ppg)
Penn's Mehdi Razvi - F
DC United's Shantanu Jha - F
VCU's Evan Adams - F
Va. Tech's Sarah Mahood

We were going to hand out prizes to the top 2 freshmen/high schoolers, hence the F's, but as you can see that was a moot point.

Neg Champions:
CMU's Trevor - F (something like 23) - won Jerusalem Countdown by comedian John Hagee
UMD's Chris Ray - won a Darryl's Disco Burger frisbee

It was good to see so many younger players and teams making one of their first non-CBI appearances, as this was intended as a novice tournament. Better yet, many of the newer teams wanted to continue playing for the 4 rounds of playoffs despite the lateness (only 4 of 22 teams left before them, plus part of LU's team left early and Duke A and B missed half the playoffs I think). I'll have the standings for the other two 6 team brackets soon, along with full prelim stats courtesy of Nick Hoelker and full playoff stats courtesy of Mark Guerci.

Finally, I'll fulfill my Post Mortem CD promises at Titanomachy, sorry I didn't have any yesterday but I hadn't gone home in a while so I don't have any burned (Chris, remind me to burn some about a week from now).
Last edited by Zip Zap Rap Pants on Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

Lapego1
Tidus

Post by Lapego1 »

VCU beat us (Penn) 145-120 on a really tough playoff packet due to the packet mix-up previously mentioned. Bonus conversion was incredibly low that game, and not just because it was late and we were all tired. It was the only game we were under 200, including our other loss against UMD A.
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

Did Will play solo?
Daichi - Walter Johnson; Vanderbilt; U of Chicago.
Daichi's Law of High School Quizbowl: the frequency of posting in the Quizbowl Resource Center is proportional to the likelihood of being overrated.
Lapego1
Tidus

Post by Lapego1 »

aestheteboy wrote:Did Will play solo?
aye aye.
Gonzagapuma1
Tidus

Post by Gonzagapuma1 »

I think VCU beat us.
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

Thanks, Matt, for letting high schools participate, though only two such teams showed up. It was good experience for our young Maggie Walker players.

We actually ended up with a winning record (6-5). I was proud of our team for winning the last two games after a frustrating loss to Duke A on the last question after leading almost the entire game. We were only really blown out twice, by Maryland A and CMU.

It was also a nice reunion for last year's high school national champion team. Evan, Will and Mehdi showed that they can still play even when playing on separate teams. Unfortunately, Mark did not play due to a class field trip, but we did get to see him when he came back to do the stats. Annalisa, from our B team last year also returned and played with the DC United team. Only Joanna was not there. Too bad Mehdi did not bring her down from Penn.

Thanks also to the DC United team for letting Quint play with you, which gave him much valuable PT.

Matt, you learned much about running a tournament. Thanks for posting your notes. Other TD's can also learn from your mistakes. I am reminded of a interesting quote by Niels Bohr, "An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field."
dschafer
Rikku

Post by dschafer »

DumbJaques wrote:My only real complaint is that I just now I got home
I'll echo that (at 5:30 on Sunday), though in all fairness, I don't really think our flat tire was the tournament's fault...

Overall, the tournament was run quite nicely; a 1.5 page schedule with no less than 7 tables was a little hard to figure out at first, but the way it ended up working out was quite good for 22 teams. The tournament did run a little on the late side; some of our rounds lasted 45 minutes, which was pretty incredible. Overall, though, it was a very enjoyable tournament, so much thanks to W&M.

The neg prize is an absolute classic, and if you don't believe me, you can look at the back of the book, where the author talks about his own book, or at the references, where the percentage of Sunnis in Iran is cited using Wikipedia.
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

Just to set the record straight we (VCU) went 8-3 after beating Penn and DC in the playoffs and Shantanu was 4th in personal stats.
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Oh damn I messed up at the end of the tournament then, because I just gave Will the third place trophy without doing a tiebreaking game, thinking VCU was 7-4. He did have the better bonus conversion, but I mean, if you want a third place game sometime like at Titanomachy (or MLW's practice this Friday, I'll be there) let me know.
jbarnes112358 wrote: It was also a nice reunion for last year's high school national champion team. Evan, Will and Mehdi showed that they can still play even when playing on separate teams. Unfortunately, Mark did not play due to a class field trip
His class is just like that, it meets every Saturday and they just go on different all-day field trips that last I think 8-9 hours; that's the whole class pretty much. That's why Titanomachy will be the only tournament he's going to this semester too.

I appreciate the comments though Dr. Barnes! I hope the players enjoyed themselves.

-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

Oh damn I messed up at the end of the tournament then, because I just gave Will the third place trophy without doing a tiebreaking game, thinking VCU was 7-4. He did have the better bonus conversion, but I mean, if you want a third place game sometime like at Titanomachy (or MLW's practice this Friday, I'll be there) let me know.
Not sure about my teammate but speaking for myself Will should keep the third place title because he beat us head to head in the playoffs.
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Yeah he should keep it by default if there's no game, but I said in all the announcements that I'd do tie breaking games for 2nd and 3rd - regardless of head-to-head, so y'all deserve that game if you want it. If you don't though that's cool (I guess you wouldn't have wanted to continue the tournament anyway on Saturday night). As a side note I've never put much stock in head-to-head anyway, because the team on the losing end of that lost to a better team than the team that has the head-to-head advantage, but whatev, Will has the PPG, P/Bonus, and head-to-head, so you're right, he keeps the trophy unless you guys want a game.

Speaking of that, I'll have the stats up for both prelims and playoffs probably sometime within the next 12 hours, so keep checking here!

Also people have been applauding the new/new-ish teams that came to this tournament and stayed for extra rounds. For the record, the list of the teams that were at least mostly CBI-only before Saturday includes:
Liberty
SVU
UMBC (2)
Washington & Lee
CNU/JSR CC (didn't have CBI or anything at all before Sat.)

Also, The Citadel and Winston Salem State almost came, and we hope to get them in at the next tournament we host (whenever that may be).

-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

Post by Red-necked Phalarope »

Props also to Maggie Walker and DC United, who both more than held their own against some pretty good teams this weekend. Nice job, y'all.
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Stats have now been posted (and I finally updated our club roster). They can be found at http://www.geocities.com/wmquizbowl/eft ... 1878685562

Please let me know if you see any errors. In the playoffs Duke A and B left after two rounds, but it appears more games besides those involving them were not played. Let me know if there are any more games you know about in the Red vs. Blue bracket and Skateboarding Dog bracket that don't show up here, and I can probably find them in my heap of score sheets.

Big props to Nick Hoelker for handling prelim stats and to Mark Guerci for computing playoff stats. Also big thanks to Will Butler for catching a lot of errors today before I finalized the stats.

Thanks guys!

-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

wowitsquinthaha
Wakka

Post by wowitsquinthaha »

Personally, I had a great time at this tournament, even if it was really long. I would also like to thank Shantanu and Puma for letting me play on their team (even though i didnt do too much...). But, I think that the packet was just a little to hard for a player of my caliber, of course it is a college tournament.

PS Matt, I want that CD
Quint Carr
Maggie Walker A
GSAC XV Question Editor
GSAC XVI Chief Promoter/Celebrity
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

CD's will be forthcoming at Titanomachy, so be there or b^2!

Sorry folks, Geocities shut down the site temporarily for exceeding the data transfer limit, but it should be back up pretty soon.

-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

Matt, I believe you have some playoff games missing. MLW was 2-2 in the playoffs, not 1-1. We lost to CMU and Duke A, but won over UNC and MD B.
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Dr. Barnes, I found the CMU scoresheet and fixed the stats appropriately but I still need to find the UMD B one. I seem to be missing that and one from the Skateboarding Dog bracket, but I'll keep looking. Anyone happen to keep individual stats for MLW - UMD B, or Virginia Tech B - UMBC B? Sorry for that stats snafu!

Thanks so much for helping out as a moderator for a couple rounds too.

-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

I've made note of the MLW - UMD B game on the stats page, and have listed the finishing order of the second playoff bracket teams by Win-Loss record then total bonus conversion for the day. So that should pretty much finalize things:

http://www.geocities.com/wmquizbowl/eftresults

-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

These podcasts are finally up on the feed. Check the blog link in my signature for a link to where you can find out more information.

I've started to put ID3 tags on these so that they're easier to organize for people without iTunes.
Mike Bentley