ACF Fall at the University of Illinois - November 3rd

Old college threads.
Summoned Skull
Lulu

ACF Fall at the University of Illinois - November 3rd

Post by Summoned Skull »

The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is proud to announce our hosting of ACF Fall 2007 on November 3rd. It will be directed by Mike Sorice, who can be contacted at [email protected].

Fees and Discounts:
base fee: $100
extra teams: $90 per team after the first
teams new to ACF: $70
buzzer discount (for fully functional buzzer; max. 2 per school): -$10
travel 200+ miles (determined by Mapquest): -$10
travel 400+ miles (determined by Mapquest): -$20
minimum fee: $50

Other fees or bonuses may apply as delineated here:
http://www.hsquizbowl.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4168

I apologize for the lateness in posting this announcement.

Details as to the starting time and location on campus will be posted as soon as we have determined them.

Thanks a lot, and we hope to see you there!

-James Sanner
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

Lawrence University is provisionally interested. I'm not sure yet, but I might actually have a team together by then.
Demonic Leftovers
Wakka

Post by Demonic Leftovers »

The University of Chicago is planning on sending three teams.
TWO TIME NATIONAL CHAMPION David A. Seal, Esq.
QUINTUPLE CROWN WINNER: ICT/ICT/NHB/NHB/CULT
Coach of 2014 and 2015 ICT Champion UVA
University of Chicago '10
University of Virginia School of Law '13
Not Every Team Can Afford Me
Coattail Rider
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

Rock Valley CC is looking into sending a team - we'll know for sure on Monday or Tuesday.
Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Lemma »

Truman State should be bringing two teams.
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

Okay, actually, withdraw Lawrence from your site, Greg. Or Mike. Or Tryg. Um, whoever's in charge.

It's looking like the U-Minn site would be a better fit.
Deckard Cain
Rikku

Post by Deckard Cain »

Missouri-Rolla would like to send at least one team to this. I'll send an email with a definite number of teams soon.
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Hi everyone,
I'll make note of who's posting to this thread, etc. To register, though, please e-mail me at [email protected] and let me know how many teams, buzzer systems, and game officials you'd like to bring. Tentative numbers are fine; it's best if I know when I'll know for sure what the numbers are, of course.

Now, then, our current field is:
Chicago, 3 teams
Illinois, 1 team (as necessary)
Illinois-Chicago, 1 team
Louisville, 1 team
Missouri-Rolla, 1 team
Rock Valley, 1 team
Truman State, 2 teams.
None of these are final for now, but I hope some will be soon. Please e-mail me!

Later,
MaS
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
alkrav112
Rikku

Post by alkrav112 »

Michigan will be bringing at least 1 one team, hopefully 2.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

Rock Valley's out. Apparently, we need an unreasonable ton of time to organize a funded excursion. Like, the paperwork for Matt Cvijanovich Memorial is due really soon. :(
alkrav112
Rikku

Post by alkrav112 »

I can now say with near certainty that we will be bringing 6 people. Put us down for 2 teams.
ecks
Wakka

Post by ecks »

Do we know what the final field will be looking like, Mike?
Christopher Stone
Truman State University '09
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

Did Louisville really come to this? They're scheduled to be at Shorter tomorrow too...
ecks
Wakka

Post by ecks »

vandyhawk wrote:Did Louisville really come to this? They're scheduled to be at Shorter tomorrow too...
Louisville did indeed come to this tourney.

For those who aren't in the know, we ended up playing a normal 11-game round robin (with one bye for each team). By that time, it was about 6 o'clock, and the top two teams were Chicago A and Chicago B, who were both 9-1. Everyone decided they'd rather go home than stay to play the rest of the 17 rounds, so we did.

I'm sure real stats will be forthcoming, but I figured there would be people interested in who won. I don't know how the rest of the field panned out, except Truman B went 0-10 and the Illinois house team was 1-9.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the tournament. Game times got a bit off throughout the day and we spent some time waiting for various games to finish, but the moderation was excellent and I'm definitely willing to wait for a competent moderator. Kudos also to Mike for working with the teams on what they wanted (i.e., going home after the round robin instead of playing another 4 games).

I won't say anything about the questions other than I liked them overall, although I'm sure they will be discussed extensively after tomorrow.
Christopher Stone
Truman State University '09
Demonic Leftovers
Wakka

The Chicago A and B teams did tie for frst at 9-1 but we were unable to play a final as we needed to catch a train. We will be playing the final in practice on Monday to determine the winner. I'd like to thank the Illinois team for running a good tournament and being very acommodating in dealing with our scheduling issues.
Coattail Rider
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Hi everyone,
Congratulations to the University of Chicago, which won ACF Fall at the University of Illinois yesterday. Full results are available here.
We held a full round robin among 11 teams, at the end of which Chicago A and Chicago B were tied at the top of the table with 9-1 records. Per a previous arrangement, it was decided to play the championship at Chicago at a later time, so the final winning team will be announced shortly. By universal acclimation, we also decided to cancel 3 further scheduled rounds, as everyone wanted to get home. Though I think everyone had a full day of quizbowl action, I am sorry we weren't able to get in as many rounds as we would have liked.
I'd like to thank all the teams that came and I hope everyone had a great time. I'd like to thank our staff of Greg Baboukis, Steven Canning, Sulee Cao, Alan Cherney, Micah Hodosh, Trygve Meade, Mark Messner, James Sanner, and Donald Taylor, especially our statskeepers, Mark Messner and James Sanner. Special thanks to our house teamers, Sam Carruthers, Brandon Cheney, Miles Ford, Chang Meng, and Jeet Raut.

Please contact me or post in this thread with any issues, questions, corrections, etc.

See you at Illinois Open,
MaS
Tournament Directior, ACF Fall 2007 Illinois
University of Illinois Academic Buzzer Team
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Lemma »

Thanks for running a very fun tournament guys. I enjoyed most of the rounds but I was dragging more in some than others ... a lot more so toward the end. The whole mental endurance thing is definitely a factor, at least for me ... I seem to get to the point where I just don't care too much toward the end of the day.

Congrats to Chicago and Michigan... I would like to nominate Crunchers for honorary MVP though... if Andy does not mind sharing the individual title.
alkrav112
Rikku

Post by alkrav112 »

(a) Krunchers would be devastated at the misspelling of his name.
(b) SHARE nothing, he was clearly the outright MVP.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Like, how long has Rom been around?

I should I'm not going to do any kind of "inappropriate for a novice tournament" stuff, I am just legitimately curious as to how old he is and where his parents came from.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

Am I correct to assume that as soon as the Chicago v Chicago final is over, we are free to discuss the specific questions at ACF Fall?
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
The Time Keeper
Auron

Post by The Time Keeper »

Bruce wrote:Am I correct to assume that as soon as the Chicago v Chicago final is over, we are free to discuss the specific questions at ACF Fall?
ACF Dallas is this weekend
Demonic Leftovers
Wakka

Chicago B defeated Chicago A in the final tonight 320-245. Congratulations Michael, William, Yilei and Lily.
Coattail Rider