2008 NAQT ICT to be held in St. Louis

Old college threads.
rhentzel
Rikku

2008 NAQT ICT to be held in St. Louis

Post by rhentzel »

NAQT is pleased to announce that its 2008 Intercollegiate Championship Tournament (ICT) will be held April 11-12 (Friday/Saturday) at Washington University in St. Louis.

This will be the third time that WUSTL has hosted the tournament; we are looking forward to another great event.

Tentative scheduling information is available on NAQT's website:

http://www.naqt.com/ict/2008/details.html

And more comprehensive information (hotels, parking, etc.) will be available soon.

If you have questions about qualifying or attending the ICT, please don't hesitate to contact us at [email protected].
rhentzel
Rikku

Staffing the 2008 ICT

Post by rhentzel »

Former players (and anybody else) interested in being considered as staffers for the 2008 ICT should e-mail NAQT at [email protected] with the following information:

1. Whether or not they would be driving to the tournament
2. If not, which airport(s) they would be flying out of
3. Whether they would need a hotel room in St. Louis
4. An overview of their moderating experience

NAQT covers the travel and lodging expenses of its moderators, but not their food. Note that if any team claims somebody as its moderator (and takes the $100 discount for doing so), none of that person's expenses will be covered by NAQT.

Most moderators should expect to be given "50/50" duty; that is, they will read half the rounds and keep score for the other half.

If you have any questions about this opportunity, please contact us at [email protected].
Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Lemma »

:-)

ICT will be closer than SCT for us :-) ... that's awesome.
Jeremy Gibbs Paradox
Rikku

Re: 2008 NAQT ICT to be held in St. Louis

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Paradox »

For those of you unaware, there are some issues relating to parking for this upcoming ICT. My recommendation is to print out a campus map before hand and follow the instructions as per WUSTL's parking services. If you have further questions day of, you may contact me on my cell phone, (314) 769-5785.

Sean Phillips

From Parking Services:

The following parking announcement has been issued for Washington University's Danforth Campus in preparation for the annual Thurtene Carnival , which is being held this year on April 12th and 13th in Parking Lot #4, located at Skinker Boulevard and Forest Park Parkway, directly in front of Brookings Hall.

Beginning on Thursday, April 3 and continuing through Friday, April 18, there will be a portion of Lot 4 that will be unavailable for parking (Lot 4 can be found on the Campus Parking Map, online at http://www.parking.wustl.edu/parkingmap_2008.pdf).

The breakdown of unavailable parking spaces during this time is as follows:

From April 3 to April 15, a portion of the first 4 1/2 aisles in Lot 4 (closest to Brookings Drive) will be unavailable for parking - however, there will be 78 spaces open for parking at the west end of each of these aisles. These spaces will be again available for parking on April 16.

From April 7 to April 13, the remaining 78 spaces in each of these aisles will be unavailable, which will make the first 4 1/2 aisles in Lot 4 entirely unavailable for parking. These spaces will be again available for parking April 14.

From April 11 to April 13, an additional 84 spaces will be unavailable on the east end of Lot 4. These spaces will be again available for parking April 15.

All remaining parking spaces will be available on April 18, 2008.

We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause to those in the University Community who utilize this area for parking on a daily basis, and ask for your patience and understanding as Lot 4 is used to accommodate this event. The Thurtene Carnival is part of a long-standing tradition at Washington University which serves as a great community event .

In order to accommodate this event and also maintain parking spaces for our permit-holders, Parking Services would like to suggest the following options to be utilized during this partial parking lot closure:

The Millbrook Garage , located on Throop Drive (across from the Law School) - red and yellow zones are available (check signage for designated zones). The Millbrook Garage is #25 on the Campus Parking Map (http://www.parking.wustl.edu/parkingmap_2008.pdf).
The Snow Way Garage , located on Snow Way Drive (across from Small Group Housing) - red and yellow zones available (check signage for zones). The Snow Way Garage is #29 on the Campus Parking Map (http://www.parking.wustl.edu/parkingmap_2008.pdf).
The West Campus parking garage/surface lots and surface lots at the North Campus - there are plenty of yellow spaces available for red and yellow permit-holders, with bus service between these locations to the Danforth Campus. The West and North Campuses are also located near MetroLink stations, which can be used for transportation to the Danforth Campus. Please remember that a valid U-Pass and WU ID (or payment of Metro fare) are required to utilize the MetroLink and the Red and Gold Lines. For information about Washington University's U-Pass program, or to request a U-Pass, please visit parking.wustl.edu/upass.htm.
The Danforth Center Garage , located beneath the University Center building (just west of the Edison Theatre/Mallinckrodt Center, and just east of Simon Hall) - red and yellow parking is permitted in this garage. The Danforth Center Garage is #104 on the Campus Parking Map. Vehicles may access the Danforth Center Garage by entering campus on Olympian Way, then making a right turn and proceeding through parking lot #35 (in front of Simon Hall) to the garage entrance. Annual red or yellow permit holders will be required to swipe their Washington University Employee ID or Student ID cards to enter and exit the Danforth Center Garage.

Questions regarding these alternate parking options or the partial parking lot closure may be directed to the office of Parking Services at 935-5601.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Sean and everyone who posts here:

Can you all advertise the PACE Bootcamp for quiz bowl question-writers, tournament directors, readers, and team managers/coaches for August 1-3 weekend? I'm the contact, and information will be updated on the forums.

Come to think of it, I'm hoping more than just Matt will advertise these forums exist.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
canaanbananarama
Wakka

Post by canaanbananarama »

NO! ERIC MUKHERJEE COME HERE! CHARLOTTE, YOU'RE SO LUCKY! ICT SUCKS WITHOUT YOU!
C. Meigs
CA
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

So how's the ICT going Charles?
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Some updates as to what I've heard:

Maryland is 5-0, defeating Minnesota and Florida.
Brown lost a game to UC Irvine.
The Maryland (and Harvard and Minnesota) bracket has a bye.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

My only knowledge of potential winners is that DII Carleton (MN) A is 5-0.
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Lemma »

Truman State, WUSTL, and Princeton are all 4-1 in our bracket. Carnegie Mellon and Harvard are, I believe, 3-2.
Kent Buxton
Truman State University '09
TSU- Science Education Grad Program '11
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

In our DI bracket, we're currently 4-1 pending an FSU protest (we won for the time being at least), with the loss being just a godawful performance against Chicago. After 4 rounds, I know Chicago was 4-0, Dartmouth 3-1 (their loss to us); FSU, Carleton Univ., and WUSTL all 2-2, and Oklahoma and UCLA 0-4. We're pretty tightly packed from 2-6 in our bracket.
Eärendil
Wakka

Post by Eärendil »

In DI, Stanford A is 4-1, with wins against Rutgers, Drake, Rochester, and Williams, and the loss to Illinois A. Stanford B is 1-4, with losses to Harvard, Florida, Maryland, and Toronto (the bye round counts as a win). In DII, Stanford is 2-3.
Arnav // Stanford University
ecks
Wakka

Post by ecks »

I'm not sure that it's of great importance to most of those who read this board, but other than the other teams that have already been mentioned in the bracket I'm reading/scorekeeping for, (D-II, the one with WUSTL, Princeton, CMU, etc...), Georgia Perimeter CC is 0-5.
Christopher Stone
Truman State University '09
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

DII championship bracket is Carleton, Truman State, Dartmouth, and Western Ontario (undef.) and Lawrence, Cornell, Princeton, and MIT (with losses).

Lawrence has gone 0fer after 3 games (Truman St., Darmouth, and Western Ontario)
Cornell has beaten Western Ontario.
Princeton has beaten Darmouth.

So to the best of my knowledge, Carleton and Truman State are the only DII teams left undefeated. But I know very little about how they've done... and the undefeated-after-the-prelims teams all play next.
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

How many people has the beast frosh killed and eaten?
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
pbrmhl
Kimahri

Post by pbrmhl »

Cornfused, thanks for the updates. I believe DII Carleton A has now lost a round, no? Is Truman State still undefeated?
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

DJ Shadow wrote:How many people has the beast frosh killed and eaten?
Western Ontario appears to have its own beast frosh too. Western Ontario is essentially the Reach for the Top champions of 2007.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
Auron

I just got a phone call from Charles Meigs. He represented to me that each of the following statements are true:

(1) Maryland is undefeated and is playing an advantaged final against Chicago, which has one loss
(2) Harvard has two losses (to Maryland and Florida) and is playing an advantaged UG final against "either Dartmouth or Minnesota, or one of those teams"
Bruce
ACF Member emeritus
pbrmhl
Kimahri

Post by pbrmhl »

Any news on the DII results?
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Kent from Truman said D-2 Truman had one loss, and yet today we're hearing they're undefeated. Can someone clarify?
pbrmhl
Kimahri

Post by pbrmhl »

Carleton's A team won Division II (according to my son, a member of the team), beating Western Ontario in the finals. Congrats to Austin Bell, Andreas Stohr, Tom Sullivan and Michael Servis, the four freshmen from Carleton.
Auron

Charles Meigs called me (again) a few minutes ago to say the following:

(1) Maryland A went undefeated; Chris Ray wins third NAQT title in as many years. Chicago finished second, Illinois third.
(2) Harvard defeated Dartmouth in a final to win the UG title
(3) Carleton defeated Western Ontario to win the DII Title
(4) Jerry Vinokurov was the top scorer; #2 was Jason Keller
Bruce
ACF Member emeritus
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

That Chris Ray guy is overrated, he just always happens to be in the right place at the right time.
Bob Kilner
Kent State '06 - Boise State '10
Former Coach, Garfield Hts (OH) (2001-08)
Former Coach, Eastlake North HS (OH) (2015-22)

"I'd sooner fail than not be among the greatest." - John Keats
Quantum Mushroom Billiard Hat
Rikku

Post by Quantum Mushroom Billiard Hat »

Any bets on when full stats are posted?
Michael Hausinger
Coach, Bay City Western High School
formerly of University of Michigan and East Lansing High School
cdbarker
Lulu

Post by cdbarker »

Good evening ladies and gentlemen:

Normally I would have posted stats files and live updates from the stat rooms, but we had difficulties getting the internet connections to work in either stat room. This difficulty continues at the moment, as I cannot get my usual host to connect tonight, so I cannot, at the moment, post the full stats.

However, I am sure there are many curious, so allow me to post a set of brief "official" results:

Division I Overall
The University of Maryland (14-0: Chris Ray, Charles Meigs, Jonathan Magin, and Jeremy Eaton) defeated the University of Chicago (12-2: Seth Teitler, Kannan Mahadevan, Seth Samelson, and David Seal) in the overall final to claim the 2008 NAQT Division I crown. The University of Illinois A at 10-3, finished in third.

Your Division I leading scorers:
1 Jerry Vinokurov (grad) Brown
2 Jason Keller (grad) Rutgers
3 Mike Sorice (grad) Illinois A
4 Garrett Ryan (jr) Carleton College
5 Brendan Byrne (soph) Drake
6 Paul Drube (grad) Iowa
7 Charlie Steinhice (grad) UT-Chattanooga
8 Seth Teitler (grad) Chicago

Division I Undergraduate
Harvard University defeated Dartmouth College to claim the 2008 NAQT Division I undergraduate crown, with the University of Minnesota claiming third place in undergrad.

Your Division I undergrad leading scorers:
1 Garrett Ryan (jr) Carleton College
2 Brendan Byrne (soph) Drake
3 Evan Adams (frosh) Virginia Commonwealth
4 Jason Loy (sr) Harding

Division II Overall
Carleton College A defeated the University of Western Ontario to claim the 2008 NAQT Division II undergraduate crown, with the Dartmouth College D-II team claiming third place in D-II.

Your Division II leading scorers:
1 Greg Peterson (fr) Lawrence
2 Peter Burton (fr) Western Ontario
3 Matt Chadbourne (sr) Missouri S&T
4 Justin Byrd (soph) Florida
5 Hannah Kirsch (soph) Brandeis
6 Trevor Davis (fr) Carnegie Mellon
7 Kunle Demuren (fr) Princeton
8 Andrew Watkins (fr) Harvard

Division II Community College
Florida's Valencia Community College defeated Chipola College of Florida to claim the 2008 NAQT Division II undergraduate crown, with Gulf Coast Community College claiming third place in D-II CC.

Your Division II CC leading scorers:
1 Nick Brown (soph) Copiah Lincoln CC
2 Carl Tubridy (fr) Gulf Coast CC
3 Robert Slade (fr) Georgia Perimeter CC
4 Ian Mackenzie (soph) Valencia CC

I am going to continue to try and post the full standings tonight, but it doesn't look good. If I am successful, I will edit this message with the URL. If not, the stats should be posted to the NAQT website in the next couple of days.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank our hosts, Washington University in Saint Louis, our moderators and scorekeepers, the teams, and the writers and editors for their hard work in relation to this tournament. For right now, I am going to sign off and relax after a very long 24 hours. Thank you.

EDITED at 8:56 PM EDT: Good news. My site is back up and available. You may find the full stat files at
http://www.collegequizbowl.org/NAQT/2008_ICT/
The Prelim directories in both D-1 and D-2 are for the first seven rounds and were the games used to determine all-stars.
The Overall directories are the files for every game of the tournament.
If you have questions, please feel free to email me at [email protected]

Craig Barker
NAQT ICT Division II Stat Room
Last edited by cdbarker on Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

CHYEAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH MARYLAND!!
Daichi - Walter Johnson; Vanderbilt; U of Chicago.
Daichi's Law of High School Quizbowl: the frequency of posting in the Quizbowl Resource Center is proportional to the likelihood of being overrated.
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

Charles Meigs called me (again) a few minutes ago to say the following:

(1) Maryland A went undefeated; Chris Ray wins third NAQT title in as many years. Chicago finished second, Illinois third.
(2) Harvard defeated Dartmouth in a final to win the UG title
(3) Carleton defeated Western Ontario to win the DII Title
(4) Jerry Vinokurov was the top scorer; #2 was Jason Keller
NAQT will have to invent a new, even faker title for me to win next year, as I wont be able to enjoy Charles going 6-1-0 in playoff rounds, unless I transfer to UMD Damascus or wherever. Seriously, Charles consumes NAQT questions like BeastFrosh consumes fellow competitors.

I guess there's not a whole lot to add at this point, except that I was incredibly disappointed by the lack of bees. Chicago (and Illinois, Brown, UCI, Vandy, Stanford, Harvard, and others) were extremely impressive and I'm very proud to have gotten the chance to play against you guys at this level - I'm certainly looking forward to Nationals. I am continually blown away by how good people are at this.

Also, I just want to note that packet 5 ruled. Oh man, what a great packet. If you want to see the face of god, packet 5's second tossup is as far as you need to go. Packet 5 forever.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

DumbJaques wrote:bees
BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

(were, indeed, sadly lacking.)
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Ukonvasara wrote:
DumbJaques wrote:bees
BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

(were, indeed, sadly lacking.)
I thought there was that one bonus in the unused finals packet, but my memory could be wrong.

Sadly, "MEMBERS OF ORDER HYMENOPTERA" just doesn't have the same ring.
silverscreentest
Lulu

Post by silverscreentest »

As a former winner of a fake title, let me offer my heartfelt congratulations. And as an alumni, this means more to me than that basketball thing Gary Williams won a few years ago.