Announcement: ACF Regionals Southeast at Vanderbilt: 2/16/08

Old college threads.
vandyhawk
Tidus

Announcement: ACF Regionals Southeast at Vanderbilt: 2/16/08

Post by vandyhawk »

This is the official announcement for ACF Regionals Southeast, to be held at Vanderbilt University on February 16, 2008. [Note: GARBAGE has been postponed until the fall.] Regionals this year will display a SIGNIFICANT drop in difficulty from the past few years. While it will not be quite as easy as ACF Fall, it will be emblematic of "regular difficulty" in quizbowl rather than any hypothetical "Regionals difficulty." It may compare roughly in difficulty and style to Penn Bowl 2007.

To register, please email me at matt.keller AT vanderbilt.edu and tell me how many teams, buzzers, and staffers you're bringing, including potential staffers for GARBAGE the next day.

FEES

Base fee: $120 per team
Buzzers: -$5 each for working buzzers
Staffers: -$10 each
Travel: -$10 per team for each 200 miles traveled

New ACF teams (your school did not send a team to ACF Fall, Regionals, or Nationals since September 2005, AND no one on the team claiming this discount played those tournaments for another school): -$25 per team.

New quizbowl teams (your school did not send a team to any regular collegiate academic tournament between September 2005 and January 2008, AND no one on the team claiming this discount played those tournaments for another school): -$100 per team

Minimum fee for a school: $0

PACKETS

Information on and for those required to write packets is at http://www.hsquizbowl.org/regionals2008.html

Packet penalties and discounts:

Packet submitted by 12/20/2007: -$50
Packet submitted by 1/3/2008: -$25
Packet submitted by 1/16/2008: No discount or penalty
Packet submitted by 1/24/2008: +$25
Packet submitted by 2/6/2008: +$50

LOGISTICS

Registration will be from 8:45 to 9:15, with play hopefully starting around 9:30. We'll be using Buttrick Hall, which is in C5 on the parking map above. You can also use the interactive map at http://www.vanderbilt.edu/map/map.cgi?m ... trick.html You'll need to zoom in a bit to make it useful. Headquarters will be in room 101, which is a lecture hall on the south end of the building. This is the same location used for ACF Nats last year and EFT 2 earlier this year.

Driving Directions and Parking

From the west/north: on I-40 East/I-65 South, take the Broadway exit (209B), and turn right on Broadway (away from downtown). From I-24 East, stay on I-65 south after they merge and follow above.

From the south/east: on I-40 West/I-65 North, take the Broadway exit (209), and turn left on Broadway. From I-24 West, stay on I-40 West after they merge and follow above.

Broadway will run into a fork at 16th Ave, and you should veer left to stay on Broadway. Broadway will curve around and become 21st Avenue South, and the Vanderbilt main campus will be on your right. To get to Wesley Place parking garage, which is your best parking bet, turn left at Scarritt Place, which is between Ben and Jerry's and Breugger's. Use the second entrance to Wesley Place on your right, 1/2 block past the intersection. Public parking spaces are 52-170. Here is the most useful map for parking: http://www.vanderbilt.edu/traffic_parking/tpmap.pdf Wesley Place is in quadrant C7. Your other parking options are the numbered lots (5, 6, 6A, 6B) along 21st Ave, which aren't technically for visitors but generally aren't patrolled on weekends.

[Note: If you find yourself on I-440 for some reason, you'll need to get off on West End Ave. East. Note that from I-440 east, exiting on West End Ave. East actually puts you on Murphy Rd, where you'll need to make a left to get to West End, where you'll turn left to go east. In either case, take West End Ave. to 21st Ave, where you'll turn right, and then follow directions above.]

Hotels

There are a number of hotels within walking distance of the tournament location, though most are going to be fairly expensive. Use this link to a Google map with hotels near campus. Any of the first 9 (ignoring the sales office that shows up) are walkable, and they are all pretty nice except the Days Inn, which is kind of run down, but is the only one right by campus for under $100. The Hampton Inns and Courtyard are probably the best combinations of price and convenience. If you have a car and want to stay somewhere cheaper, there are plenty of hotels off of the various interstates on the city's outskirsts.
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

So far, all we've heard is that UTC is bringing one team. If you're thinking of coming, we'd appreciate you letting us know in the near future.
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

-edited
Last edited by vandyhawk on Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mettius Fufetius
Wakka

Post by Mettius Fufetius »

Furman is hereby expressing an intent to attend, and does not have any players required to write a packet.
Quinn James
Furman University '10
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

Field updated for now. Hopefully we can add in a few more stragglers this week. If finances or whatever are holding back your interest in coming, we can talk.
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

once we make sure there aren't any last-minute changes...edit: damn those words
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

Ok, this is getting ridiculous. We now have Furman, USF, and UF, plus some house teams, so we'll figure out what's going on here. Is there really no one else who wants to come?
jhn31
Wakka

Post by jhn31 »

MSU would definitely come, but thanks to scheduling of tournaments by other high schools and that other SEC university in Mississippi, we had no choice but to schedule our high school tournament for Feb. 16.
MiltonPlayer47
Wakka

Post by MiltonPlayer47 »

I was planning on coming but had a conflict with work come up. I really wish I could come play.
Steven Hanley
FSU (2004-2006)
UGA (2007-2009)
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

And we're on.

Furman
UF
USF (1-2)
MLK HS
house teams (1-2)

Logistical details above are still relevant.
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

Congrats to MLK high school for winning our quaint southeast regional. We had 3 solo teams, 2 duos, and after lunch, MLK was only a duo as well. After a double round robin, we split into top 3 and bottom 3 playoff brackets. After this, MLK had a one game lead on USF "B" (Jim Baker), so we had an advantaged final in which USF B won the first game, but MLK won the second. USF "A" (Ahmad) was third. Thanks to everyone who came, and I'll get stats posted by sometime tomorrow.
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

Sorry for the delay, but I found an error I wanted to correct before posting the stats. That correction meant Jim Baker should've been announced as the top scorer after the prelims, so sorry about that. Here they are:

Prelim Standings

Final Standings
The Time Keeper
Auron

Post by The Time Keeper »

Dallas Simons is a goddamn tank.
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

If Dallas continues to play in college some team is going to have an awesome time with him being on the team..
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

Matthew D wrote:If Dallas continues to play in college some team is going to have an awesome time with him being on the team..
He said he's likely going to Yale, and yes, they certainly should be glad to have him provided he wants to keep playing.
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

vandyhawk wrote:Sorry for the delay, but I found an error I wanted to correct before posting the stats. That correction meant Jim Baker should've been announced as the top scorer after the prelims, so sorry about that. Here they are:

Prelim Standings

Final Standings
Some people, including myself, are having trouble with the links, so could they be posted in another place as well? Thanks.
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

Yeah, that's really weird how some people can see them and some can't. Never had that problem before. Who has the link to that program people who don't have webspace have been using lately?
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

Ok, well let's see if this works better. I only did the total results for the day.

Final Standings