TOAST II at Tulsa (3/29/08)

Old college threads.
jazzerpoet
Wakka

TOAST II at Tulsa (3/29/08)

Post by jazzerpoet »

Greetings, everyone! The TU Academic Bowl Team is pleased to announce that we will be hosting the Tulsa Open Academic Spring Tournament (TOAST) II on Saturday March 29th in Chapman Hall on the TU campus.

This will be a mirror of the Minnesota Undergraduate Tournament, to be held on the same day. And though this tournament is aimed towards younger players, it will be open to all players, so long as they are affiliated with a college or university. Also, packet submission is NOT required to participate.

Fees and Discounts
Base Fee: $85 (per team)
Operational Buzzer Discount: -$10 (limit 3)
Volunteer Discount: -$10 (only if we use them)
Travel Discount: -$5/per 75 miles (max of -$25)
Minimum Fee: $50 (per team)

When registering, please indicate to me how many teams you will be bringing, as well as buzzers and/or volunteers, in addition to the classification(s) of each team.

For this tournament, we are using the following classifications: Grad, Undergrad, and Novice (teams composed solely of players within their first two years of academic collegiate competition).

To register, or if you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please feel free to contact me.

I hope to see many of you in Tulsa at the end of March. Thanks.

Cheers!
Angelo Malabanan
Tournament Director - TOAST II 2008

E-mail: angelo-malabanan (at) utulsa (dot) edu
Last edited by jazzerpoet on Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Re: TOAST II at Tulsa (3/29/08)

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

If any team is coming to this from my general area I would be willing to pay for some gas if someone came to pick me up. Email me at charlie16 at gmail . com if you are interested in this chance of a lifetime.
Anyway, if this happens then you can sign UMKC up for a team.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
jazzerpoet
Wakka

Minor Changes

Post by jazzerpoet »

A couple of minor things...

The field will be capped at 16 teams.

Also, this tournament is now an open tournament. Anyone who wants to compete may do so. However, open teams will be ineligible to claim the tournament championship.

Thanks.
Angelo
jazzerpoet
Wakka

Field Update

Post by jazzerpoet »

Here is the current field for TOAST II, as of Wednesday March 12th...

Missouri S&T: 1 team (UG); 1 buzzer
Texas-Dallas: 2 teams (1 UG, 1 Novice); 1 buzzer
North Kansas City HS: 1 team (Open)
Arlo Lyle & Co.: 1 team (Open)

Shown Interest
Oklahoma State
Central Arkansas
Missouri State
Harding
Last edited by jazzerpoet on Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

How is this open? Me and my teammate both go to North Kansas City High School, and at least in ACF rules there is a provision allowing high school teams to play, so I don't know why we can't do the same.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Lemma »

I mean, they are under-undergraduates... and if they are from the same school, I don't see why that would make them "open" since they are in fact a team and not just a random group of players.
Kent Buxton
Truman State University '09
TSU- Science Education Grad Program '11
jazzerpoet
Wakka

Post by jazzerpoet »

Athena Starwoman wrote:
How is this open? Me and my teammate both go to North Kansas City High School, and at least in ACF rules there is a provision allowing high school teams to play, so I don't know why we can't do the same.
Basically, "Open" is meant to reflect the fact that a team is a non-collegiate team. The only aspect of being an "Open" team that is relevant is the ineligibility of said team to win the tournament championship. However, upon further consideration, since this is an open tournament, I will allow Open teams to compete for the title.

Cheers!
Angelo
ecks
Wakka

Post by ecks »

Truman State is interested in bringing a team to this... possibly two... I won't know for sure until after our spring break ends and we have our meeting afterwards, so expect something more concrete from us around the 17th of March.
Christopher Stone
Truman State University '09
jazzerpoet
Wakka

Results

Post by jazzerpoet »

Greetings, everyone! Eight teams from six schools (and one open team) competed in the Tulsa Open Academic Spring Tournament (TOAST) II. We played a full round robin, followed by split playoff brackets, and in the end, Oklahoma won the tournament with a 9-1 record.

The final standings are thus:

Oklahoma (9-1)
Truman State B (7-3)
Missouri S&T (6-4)
Tulsa (6-4)
Arlo Lyle & Co. (5-5)
Truman State A (4-6)
Oklahoma State (2-8)
Harding (1-9)

The top five individual scorers (based on prelim stats) were:

Matt Chadbourne (MST): 109.29 PPG
Ryan Stander (TSU B): 80.71 PPG
Nathaniel Russell (Tulsa): 67.00 PPG
Brian Morrow (OU): 54.29 PPG
Matt King (OU): 38.57 PPG

We would like to thank all of the teams who attended TOAST II, as well as the Minnesota team for putting together such a great academic set. We hope that they continue to produce quality sets like this in the future.

Stats can be viewed on our team website:

<http://www.orgs.utulsa.edu/academicbowl/tournaments.htm>

Thanks.
Angelo Malabanan
Tournament Director - TOAST II