BISCUIT III (MUT Mirror) - March 21, 2009

Old college threads.
Avram
Lulu

BISCUIT III (MUT Mirror) - March 21, 2009

Post by Avram »

The UCLA College Bowl Club is pleased to announce:

Bruin International Southern California Undergraduate Invitational Tournament III

DATE: The tournament will be held on March 21, 2009.

FORMAT: The tournament will be mirroring Minnesota Undergraduate Tournament.

This set will first be used on March 7, so it is vital that teams maintain packet secrecy for that two-week period.

ELIGIBILITY: This tournament is restricted to undergraduate and high-school teams and players. If you are unsure of your eligibility, please contact Avram at [email protected].

PRICING STRUCTURE:
Base fee = $90
-$5 for a fully-functional buzzer system (must have at least four working buzzers on both sides) (maximum one per team)
-$10 for additional teams from a school (non-cumulative)
-$10 for a pre-approved moderator (no maximum for pre-approved moderators)
-$10 for travel over 350 miles.
Minimum fee = $30 (possible only with multiple moderators)

If your program cannot afford to register, please contact the TD and we will try to make arrangements to accommodate your needs.

Please make checks payable to "College Bowl Club of UCLA." Please do not make a check out to any other person or entity, including "UCLA Quiz Bowl," as we cannot cash those checks. Please bring your check with you to the event. If you will need an invoice made (usually for high schools using purchase orders), please contact Avram before the tournament. All teams will be given receipts.

The cap is unofficially going to be set at 24 teams, but we will try to accommodate as many teams as possible. It is likely that the limiting factor will be moderator availability-- we very much encourage teams to send graduate students as moderators!

The tournament director is Avram Lyon. If you are interested in attending, please e-mail Avram [email protected] with the following information:

1) Your school's name
2) Representative's name and e-mail address
3) The number of teams you are bringing
4) The number of buzzer systems and/or moderators you would like to bring

Updates about the tournament will be posted on the hsquizbowl.org forums and on the quizbowl Yahoo! group; however, they should also be posted online. Our club website is http://quizbowl.bol.ucla.edu. A link should become available once this announcement has been posted.

If you have any questions about any of this, please e-mail Avram Lyon at [email protected].

Thanks and hope to see you March 21, 2008,

Avram Lyon
Tournament Director, BISCUIT III
Last edited by Avram on Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Avram Lyon
Kazan Federal University '11
UCLA '14 (or so)
Grinnell '06
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Re: BISCUIT II - March 21, 2009

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Why not host a mirror of a tournament that uses actual college-appropriate questions? There will be several!
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

What Rob said. If I recall correctly, MUT will be held around this time, so mirroring it is a better idea than introducing colleges to college quizbowl on high school questions.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Wow, a noted adherent to the notion of running college tournaments on high school questions goes to another school and proceeds to set up a college tournament run on high school questions. How thoroughly unexpected.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

You idiots, BISCUIT II already ran.

I hope that your single-elimination St. Louis bracket contains a first-round matchup between ITT Tech and Devry, and your single-elimination Seattle bracket contains a second round matchup between the winner of Tehran Institute of Holocaust Science vs. Tycho Brahe Institute of Copenhagen and the winner of Pyongyang Tech vs. Sagdiyev School of Journalism. Otherwise, it just isn't BISCUIT. I also hope that Sardar Akhmatullov wins the traditional one-third chess, one-third Yahtzee, one-third CBI match between two nonexistent Kazakhs.

Charles Meigs, come rain unholy fire down upon these heathens who dare appropriate the name of the greatest fake intermural tournament ever for this abomination.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

cvdwightw wrote:You idiots, BISCUIT II already ran.
Hey, excuse me for not keeping up on the intimate details of every novice tournament in the nation.
I hope that your single-elimination St. Louis bracket contains a first-round matchup between ITT Tech and Devry, and your single-elimination Seattle bracket contains a second round matchup between the winner of Tehran Institute of Holocaust Science vs. Tycho Brahe Institute of Copenhagen and the winner of Pyongyang Tech vs. Sagdiyev School of Journalism. Otherwise, it just isn't BISCUIT. I also hope that Sardar Akhmatullov wins the traditional one-third chess, one-third Yahtzee, one-third CBI match between two nonexistent Kazakhs.

Charles Meigs, come rain unholy fire down upon these heathens who dare appropriate the name of the greatest fake intermural tournament ever for this abomination.
This would be the best tournament ever.
Jerry Vinokurov
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

grapesmoker wrote:
cvdwightw wrote:You idiots, BISCUIT II already ran.
Hey, excuse me for not keeping up on the intimate details of every novice tournament in the nation.

This would be the best tournament ever.
http://www.doc-ent.com/qbwiki/index.php ... ne#BISCUIT
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

:aaa: meta as fuck

P.S. Stop running college tournaments on high school questions.
Jerry Vinokurov
No Rules Westbrook
Auron

Re: BISCUIT III - March 21, 2009

Post by No Rules Westbrook »

I think Rob Carson should sell T-shirts that say "Meta as Fuck."

P.S. Don't run college tournaments on hs questions.
Ryan Westbrook, no affiliation whatsoever.

I am pure energy...and as ancient as the cosmos. Feeble creatures, GO!

Left here since birth...forgotten in the river of time...I've had an eternity to...ponder the meaning of things...and now I have an answer!
Avram
Lulu

Re: BISCUIT III (MUT Mirror) - March 21, 2009

Post by Avram »

In response to concerns that MUT might go without a west coast mirror, I've changed BISCUIT to be a MUT mirror; it will not be using NAQT questions, and the eligibility requirements are more normal-- see above for details.

I do hope to run the planned CUT-style event early next fall.
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Avram wrote:In response to concerns that MUT might go without a west coast mirror, I've changed BISCUIT to be a MUT mirror; it will not be using NAQT questions, and the eligibility requirements are more normal-- see above for details.

I do hope to run the planned CUT-style event early next fall.
Next fall, I would invite you to run a mirror of EFT.
Jerry Vinokurov
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Congratulations on changing to a MUT mirror. The set was very well-edited and difficulty-appropriate last year and I'm sure Minnesota will do their usual excellent job again. I have some questions about your plan to do the CUT thing in the future. To wit: Who exactly wants to play high school questions? How do you plan to staff a tournament with twice as many teams as a normal event when your region often has problems staffing events of six to ten teams? Why are you forcing the CUT/high school questions paradigm on a region that has problems getting enough attendance for real tournaments?
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Avram
Lulu

Post by Avram »

When it became clear that the MUT set was at risk of going unplayed in the region, I made the choice to bring that set here to California. I would have preferred that both MUT and a NAQT event take place. Similarly, I hope and expect that both an EFT mirror and a novice tournament will be held in California this fall.

My rationale for running a novice tournament is that it encourages the participation of players and schools that are far from the level needed to feel comfortable at most ACF and mACF events. Here, I'm basing this on comments from players here and back in the midwest, who sometimes felt that it wasn't even worth attending such events. Will such a player become a great player? Probably not. But if there's nothing to keep those players in the game, no venue for weaker players, then programs might not survive long enough to become good, and to feel like they can compete at other events.

And that's why I want to provide a tournament where weaker teams can at least hold their own-- a CUT-style tournament on NAQT questions. As for the question of whether these are high school questions-- I see them as novice questions. Maybe perceptions have changed in the past couple of years, but they used to be considered novice questions first and foremost, not high school per se.

I realize that a lot of people on these forums disagree with many of my opinions, but I can see no downside to increased tournament quantity and variety. I'm in this to have fun and to run tournaments that players will enjoy and that will get more people excited about playing quizbowl.
Avram Lyon
UCLA '14 (or so)
Grinnell '06
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Avram wrote:ACF IS IMPOSSIBLE
Oh, okay then.

Nobody's saying you shouldn't run a novice tournament. We're saying you shouldn't run a tournament that is on high school questions and that you won't be able to staff. The downside to having a "variety" of both good and bad tournaments, rather than exclusively having good tournaments, is self-evident.

The good novice tournament that you are now running is a fine idea, and could easily be repeated in the fall in any number of ways. Perhaps noted IMPOSSIBLE tournament ACF Fall (actually the easiest tournament of the year) could be hosted by you and marketed to novices.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
OctagonJoe
Tidus

Post by OctagonJoe »

As a person who actually drove 8.5 hours to Illinois to avoid CUT and go to a real tournament (note: CUT was a 0 minute drive), I would implore you to just mirror real tournaments from here on out rather than play NAQT's high school fare. It's not fair to people who want appropriate questions for a college tournament. Instead of pandering to the people who want to prove they still know the same stuff they knew in high school, you should stop hindering people who want to improve.
Carsten Gehring
Wayzata HS '08 | Carleton College '12 | Denver Publishing Institute '12
Avram
Lulu

Post by Avram »

This is a friendly reminder that registration is open for BISCUIT III.

Please email me at ajlyon -at- ucla -dot- edu to register your team. This tournament is open to undergraduate collegiate teams and high school teams.

As always, we appreciate receiving registrations in a timely manner, so that we can plan rooms and staff accordingly.
Avram Lyon
UCLA '14 (or so)
Grinnell '06
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

I'll also add that teams who would like packet discounts should follow the schedule in this thread: http://hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 11&start=0
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Would there be some kind of possibility for a simultaneous FIChTE mirror for those of us dinosaurs? I don't know how much staff UCLA is likely to have that weekend, given that I think that's the start of Spring Break.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Avram
Lulu

Post by Avram »

cvdwightw wrote:Would there be some kind of possibility for a simultaneous FIChTE mirror for those of us dinosaurs? I don't know how much staff UCLA is likely to have that weekend, given that I think that's the start of Spring Break.
We hadn't looked into that. I think it's unlikely that we'll have the staff and energy to pull it off, but it could happen. Of course, it would be great if someone else could mirror, so that we could play.
Avram Lyon
UCLA '14 (or so)
Grinnell '06
Avram
Lulu

Post by Avram »

cvdwightw wrote:Would there be some kind of possibility for a simultaneous FIChTE mirror for those of us dinosaurs? I don't know how much staff UCLA is likely to have that weekend, given that I think that's the start of Spring Break.
If we can get some of the dinosaurs to help run BISCUIT on Saturday, and some of the not-dinosaurs to help run a FIChTE mirror on Sunday, then I think we could do it. I don't want to host both if it would preclude our players from competing in either, but I think we should be able to work something out.
Avram Lyon
UCLA '14 (or so)
Grinnell '06
Avram
Lulu

Post by Avram »

There will almost definitely be Aztlan Cup V (FIChTE mirror) held on Sunday, March 22 at UCLA.

Full announcement on Tuesday.
Avram Lyon
UCLA '14 (or so)
Grinnell '06
Avram
Lulu

Post by Avram »

Field update
Fresno State (1-2 teams)
UCLA (1-2 teams)
SAMO (?)
UCSD (2 teams)
Freelancing:
Faith, Micah, and maybe a third from Caltech
Steven Katz and Friend
Val Vinokurov
Alejandro from Claremont
Helen from UCSC (or maybe staffing)

Basketball
Ian?
Darwin

Hosting space
Ian (RB)
Avram (spare unfurnished room plus living room with couch, total 1-1.5 teams if they have sleeping bags)

If there are any teams out there unsure of whether they can participate, please let me know, since I need to confirm rooms fairly soon. Hybrid teams are fine, so schools on spring break can join together if necessary.
Last edited by Avram on Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:38 am, edited 7 times in total.
Avram Lyon
UCLA '14 (or so)
Grinnell '06
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

We're looking into trying to field some kind of team, but we don't have that many undergrads to begin with. The earliest we could probably definitively say yes or no is next Wednesday/Thursday, which is still enough time to get the room requests in.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

P3nguinP0wered
Lulu

Post by P3nguinP0wered »

I'm sure UCSD will field one team or at least part of a team. Either way, I will be there so I can join some sort of hybrid team.
Darwin Fu
President- Quiz Bowl Club at UC San Diego
Mission San Jose '06
UC San Diego '10
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

cvdwightw wrote:We're looking into trying to field some kind of team, but we don't have that many undergrads to begin with. The earliest we could probably definitively say yes or no is next Wednesday/Thursday, which is still enough time to get the room requests in.
Yeah, we have somewhere around zero undergrads that are even going to be in town, seeing as it's the beginning of spring break. We may not even be able to field a FIChTE team. If for some strange reason you need moderators, let me know and I'll come up.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

Avram
Lulu

Post by Avram »

cvdwightw wrote:Yeah, we have somewhere around zero undergrads that are even going to be in town, seeing as it's the beginning of spring break. We may not even be able to field a FIChTE team. If for some strange reason you need moderators, let me know and I'll come up.
If you end up with just 1-2 people, we can look into combining teams or partial team discounts to boost involvement; we really want to maximize the field here (at Aztlan Cup, that is).
Avram Lyon
UCLA '14 (or so)
Grinnell '06
warpoet
Wakka

Post by warpoet »

SAMO's trying to get a team there
Max Stivers
Santa Monica High '10
NYU '14
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

For now, put UCSD down for two teams, one of which will be me playing solo.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

Seeing how many other sites will be doing basketball or similar, should I look into getting a court reserved at Wooden Center on Saturday night? Also, can the UCLA people who can put up people coming from far away for the night list how many spots may be available? I've already offered to the RB team.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
ihavenoidea
Rikku

Post by ihavenoidea »

RB will be only coming to fake ICT and not MUT. Turns out one of our TV tapings is on the 21st. :mad:
Zhao Zhang
Rancho Bernardo High School '09
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Post by Joe Romersa »

Basketball? what? I thought it was quizbowl...
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
P3nguinP0wered
Lulu

Post by P3nguinP0wered »

I'm always down for some basketball...let's get a game going!
Darwin Fu
Mission San Jose '06
UC San Diego '10
manary
Lulu

Post by manary »

either 2 or 3 people will come from Caltech.
Micah
Micah J. Manary
University of California San Diego MSTP '1x
California Institute of Technology '10
Saint Louis University High School '07
tkpatel
Lulu

Post by tkpatel »

manary wrote:either 2 or 3 people will come from Caltech.
Micah
Hey can you let me know if Caltech plans to attend Aztlan cup next day?
I think you guys expressed interest couple weeks but I haven't received any confirmation emails.
Tirth Patel
BS UCLA '11
MD, PhD Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine '20
Alejandro
Wakka

Post by Alejandro »

I'd be willing to play as a free agent, if that's allowed.
Alejandro
Naperville Central '07
Harvey Mudd '11
University of Washington '17
Avram
Lulu

Post by Avram »

Alejandro wrote:I'd be willing to play as a free agent, if that's allowed.
That is allowed. As it looks like we'll probably have a fairly large number of freelancers, we may have to talk about how best to form teams.

And I'd like to remind all teams that we encourage people to register for both days and play at Aztlan Cup (Fake ICT) on Sunday as well.

Finally, if there's interest in any of the other events going on around the country, we could explore mirroring some of the theme events, like the comics (right?) tournament.
Avram Lyon
UCLA '14 (or so)
Grinnell '06
warpoet
Wakka

Post by warpoet »

Okay, SAMO's in

EDIT: Actually, now we're out
Last edited by warpoet on Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Max Stivers
Santa Monica High '10
NYU '14
manary
Lulu

Post by manary »

We will NOT play Aztlan I believe. Both of us have work.
Micah J. Manary
P3nguinP0wered
Lulu

Post by P3nguinP0wered »

Is there a time frame for this yet? As in an approximate start and end time?
Darwin Fu
Mission San Jose '06
UC San Diego '10
manary
Lulu

Post by manary »

Also, anyone from the Pasadena area/anyone want to give us a ride? Otherwise we'll take the bus at 6:30 in the morning...
Micah
Micah J. Manary
Avram
Lulu

Post by Avram »

Details from about one week out:

All rounds will be held in Bunche Hall.
For campus maps and driving directions, see http://www.ucla.edu/map/.
For parking information, see http://www.transportation.ucla.edu/port ... ionMap.htm. The best parking lots for the event are probably Law and Lot 3.

During the tournament, live stats will be available on http://quizbowl.gimranov.com/stats/tournaments.php.

Schedule
8:00 - 8:30 am Team Registration (Bunche 3156)
8:30 - 8:45 am Rules review, introduction
8:45 am Round 1 starts
(Min. 10 rounds of play, maybe more if I find out that the MUT set is larger than I thought)
5:45 pm End of regular play
6:00 pm Finals, as appropriate

Format
There will be a round robin, after which we will rebracket into two divisions and do a three-game round robin in each division, followed by an advantaged final or tie-breaker.

Field
Chimera teams (Val Vinokurov, Alejandro, Steven Katz and his friend, Benjamin Shapero)
Fresno State
UCSD A
UCSD B
SAMO
Caltech
Arcadia
UCLA

We are still accepting registrations.

For those teams that are made up freelancers, we will be splitting the registration cost evenly among the players.
Avram Lyon
UCLA '14 (or so)
Grinnell '06
Avram
Lulu

Post by Avram »

Congratulations to all teams who played at BISCUIT III today.

We played a double round-robin, then split into two divisions by record and played a round robin in each division. A final was not necessary, as the Chimera team left its playoff bracket undefeated. Notably, Arcadia High School was the top-placing single institution team.

Final Results:
1. Chimera (Steven Katz, Alejandro Lopez-Lago, Ben Shapero, Gaura Brown)
2. Arcadia High School
3. UC San Diego + Steve Shapero
4. UCLA
5. Caltech + Helen Yamamoto (UC Santa Cruz)
5. Fresno State

Full results are at http://quizbowl.gimranov.com/stats/inde ... iscuit2009 .
Avram Lyon
UCLA '14 (or so)
Grinnell '06