2009 NAQT ICT to be held in Dallas

Old college threads.
rhentzel
Rikku

2009 NAQT ICT to be held in Dallas

Post by rhentzel »

The 2009 Intercollegiate Championship Tournament will be held in Dallas, TX on April 3-4, 2009 (Friday/Saturday). The site is the Hyatt Regency DFW at Dallas-Forth Worth International Airport.

More information is available on NAQT's website:

http://www.naqt.com/ict/2009/details.html

NAQT is also now seeking staff for the ICT; people interested in moderating are invited to contact us at [email protected].

If you have any questions about the tournament, please don't hesitate to contact us at [email protected].
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Re: 2009 NAQT ICT to be held in Dallas

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

Who does this benefit location-wise?
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Lemma »

Agreed with Greg....
Kent Buxton
Truman State University '09
TSU- Science Education Grad Program '11
rylltraka
Tidus

Post by rylltraka »

It benefits the west coast and disadvantages the northeast. Note: is also a major air hub.
Last edited by rylltraka on Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mik Larsen
USC '08, UCLA '14
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

And Dallas is a very major central airport hub, cheap fares for all, so it should get more to attend.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
QuizBowlRonin
Wakka

Post by QuizBowlRonin »

dinoian wrote:And Dallas is a very major central airport hub, cheap fares for all, so it should get more to attend.
Eh, Dallas is an American Airlines fortress. I'm not so sure it's that inexpensive for people traveling long distance. Southwest does fly
to Love Field, but remember the Wright Amendment and the transit cost between DAL and DFW.
Jason Paik
retired

WashU, UAB, Stanford
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

rylltraka wrote:It benefits the west coast and disadvantages the northeast. Note: is also a major air hub.
Do California teams really plan on driving to this? It's even further from LA than it is from Washington.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

various people wrote:ICT...Dallas...American Airlines fortress
ICT '09: Because We Really Really Like Travel Disaster Stories
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Quiz bowl, you can't say that Dallas doesn't love you.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Post by Zip Zap Rap Pants »

I might have to write a battle rap on R now...
Matt Morrison, William & Mary '10, Tour Guide &c., MA in History '12?

"All the cool people eat mangoes while they smoke blunts and do cannonballs off a trampoline into my hot tub..."
-Matt Weiner

“In beer there is strength,
In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

new email: mpmorr at email dot wm dot edu
NotjustoldWASPs
Wakka

Post by NotjustoldWASPs »

Hey, I'm okay with it...but then again being in the middle of the country make everything easier.

Speaking of which...did people like it in StL last year? We could do it in 2010....just floating it out there...
Neel Kotra
WUSTL '10
millionwaves
Auron

Post by millionwaves »

NotjustoldWASPs wrote: Speaking of which...did people like it in StL last year? We could do it in 2010....just floating it out there...
Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. My own admittedly regional interests aside, I think St. Louis has all the charms of Dallas (cheap airfare and lots of staff, presumably; I can see no other relevant advantages), while still allowing a sizable amount of people on a large circuit to drive conveniently. Of course, I'd say the same thing word for word about a site somewhere in Chicago.
Trygve Meade
Illinois, ACF

Above the Star-Apple Kingdom
Theory Of The Leisure Flask
Yuna

Post by Theory Of The Leisure Flask »

Penn is stuck in the airport with our flight canceled, nothing leaving for quite a few hours, and even the standby options are slim.

At this point, it is likely that we will not be at ICT at all; our best-case scenario involves missing all the prelims.

Dammit.
Chris White
Bloomfield HS (New Jersey) '01, Swarthmore College '05, University of Pennsylvania '10. Still writes questions occasionally.
dschafer
Rikku

Post by dschafer »

Theory Of The Leisure Flask wrote:Penn is stuck in the airport with our flight canceled, nothing leaving for quite a few hours, and even the standby options are slim.

At this point, it is likely that we will not be at ICT at all; our best-case scenario involves missing all the prelims.

Dammit.
I just heard from CMU's DII team; they're in the same boat.
Dan Schafer
Carnegie Mellon '10
Thomas Jefferson '06
Susan
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Susan »

Hey Chris--you may well have considered this already, but if you guys have any way of getting to Newark, you might want to see if you can get a flight out of there, as it looks like there are still some seats on flights between Newark and Dallas. A quick check online says that there are trains and some car/van services between the airports, though I don't know how fast any of it would be.
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF
Susan

Post by Susan »

Also, I really hope people keep events like these in mind when voting on whether to change ICT to a one-day affair.
Susan
Member emerita, ACF
Yuna

myamphigory wrote:Hey Chris--you may well have considered this already, but if you guys have any way of getting to Newark, you might want to see if you can get a flight out of there, as it looks like there are still some seats on flights between Newark and Dallas. A quick check online says that there are trains and some car/van services between the airports, though I don't know how fast any of it would be.
Thanks; we just looked at Newark; it saves us probably an hour at most given that we're at least two hours away from EWR at the moment, which doesn't do much.

Also: tickets at $850 PER PERSON. ONE-WAY. Whow.
myamphigory wrote:Also, I really hope people keep events like these in mind when voting on whether to change ICT to a one-day affair.
THIS. (ACF Nats should be one day, too. But that's another banana.)
Chris White
Bloomfield HS (New Jersey) '01, Swarthmore College '05, University of Pennsylvania '10. Still writes questions occasionally.
Yuna

Update: we're still coming, but we won't be able to get in until 10 PM. Newark would save us an hour, but we cant afford to pay $3000, which is what it would cost. Matt Bruce has indicated that it might be possible to play some makeup rounds; if at least some of the teams that have us in rounds 1 through 5 or 6 are willing to do that; it would be incredibly awesome.
Chris White
dschafer
Rikku

Post by dschafer »

dschafer wrote:
Theory Of The Leisure Flask wrote:Penn is stuck in the airport with our flight canceled, nothing leaving for quite a few hours, and even the standby options are slim.

Dammit.
I just heard from CMU's DII team; they're in the same boat.
Update: CMU DII is on the bus back to CMU.
Dan Schafer
Carnegie Mellon '10
Thomas Jefferson '06
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Fragmentary stuff I know:

Harvard 7-0, Stanford 6-1 coming out of one bracket.
Chicago 7-0, Dartmouth 6-1 coming out of another. This bracket also featured such ICTastic events as Maryland losing to Georgia, and Georgia losing to Illinois B. SECOND BRACKET REPRESENT SON. Also Georgia, Maryland, and Toronto where in this bracket last year and we are really just damned tired of seeing each other's ugly faces.
Other stuff presumably happened in the other brackets, but I'm not sure what. Nobody here seems to know where the results will be posted, or when this will occur. I really, really, really hope any pertinent info gets posted here. At last call Minnesota A was involved in a game-determining protest vs. Harvard B, and I think Illinois is undefeated from their bracket, but don't quote me on that.

Oh, update on the Penn situation: Penn rolled in after the last prelim. It was decided that Penn's first 3 games would be postponed until tomorrow morning, so a bunch of teams are now being forced to get up 1-2 hours before the scheduled start time to make them up. If any of those teams subsequently become involved in a tiebreaker, we're mostly assuming that the world will be sucked into hell.

I'm going to go back to enjoying my $4 water and $5 croissant, because Mike Bentley disappeared all the bargain $3 bagels. By the way NEVER HOST THE ICT HERE AGAIN WHAT WERE YOU THINKING.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
naturalistic phallacy
Auron

Post by naturalistic phallacy »

DumbJaques wrote:Fragmentary stuff I know:

Chicago 7-0, Dartmouth 6-1 coming out of another. This bracket also featured such ICTastic events as Maryland losing to Georgia, and Georgia losing to Illinois B. SECOND BRACKET REPRESENT SON. Also Georgia, Maryland, and Toronto where in this bracket last year and we are really just damned tired of seeing each other's ugly faces.
Other stuff presumably happened in the other brackets, but I'm not sure what. Nobody here seems to know where the results will be posted, or when this will occur. I really, really, really hope any pertinent info gets posted here. At last call Minnesota A was involved in a game-determining protest vs. Harvard B, and I think Illinois is undefeated from their bracket, but don't quote me on that.

Oh, update on the Penn situation: Penn rolled in after the last prelim. It was decided that Penn's first 3 games would be postponed until tomorrow morning, so a bunch of teams are now being forced to get up 1-2 hours before the scheduled start time to make them up. If any of those teams subsequently become involved in a tiebreaker, we're mostly assuming that the world will be sucked into hell.

I'm going to go back to enjoying my $4 water and $5 croissant, because Mike Bentley disappeared all the bargain $3 bagels. By the way NEVER HOST THE ICT HERE AGAIN WHAT WERE YOU THINKING.
Minnesota is 6-1, and Illinois is 7-0
Bernadette Spencer
University of Minnesota, MCTC
Member, NAQT
Member, ACF
Member Emeritus, PACE
Council of Trent Reznor
Lulu

Post by Council of Trent Reznor »

Illinois A is undefeated at the moment. Carleton is 6-1 in the same bracket.

And really, who the f*ck decided to put a national championship in someplace that's not the Midwest or the Northeast/Mid Atlantic? That's where all the quizbowl is, and that's where all the big events should be.
Last edited by Council of Trent Reznor on Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Baboukis, University of Illinois
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

tetragrammatology wrote:

Minnesota is 6-1, and Illinois is 7-0
Yeah, confirm. We and Irvine are 6-1 (we lost to Harvard B in a hilarious combination of bad packet and bad protest resolution; Irvine lost to us).
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Are details on the protest allowed to be discussed?

Also, anyone know what's going on in D-2?
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

I just want to say that the Minnesota team is uniformly disappointed in the way our protest was resolved. It boiled down to a judgment, not a dispute in facts. Hentzel acknowledged that the answer was factually correct, but said that the answer given was too general to deserve a prompt, despite it being just one level removed from the specificity demanded by the answer line.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

Ukonvasara wrote: Yeah, confirm. We and Irvine are 6-1 (we lost to Harvard B in a hilarious combination of bad packet and bad protest resolution; Irvine lost to us).
I was otherwise occupied this evening but did hear about the protest pretty much right after the resolution was made. I support the way it was handled, though. With the Penn situation, I'm guessing details shouldn't be discussed yet, but Rob, if you want to hear my take (since it was my question) before tomorrow, feel free to send me an email or something.
Matt Keller
Vanderbilt (alum)
ACF editor (emeritus)
NAQT editor (emeritus)
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

vandyhawk wrote:
Ukonvasara wrote: Yeah, confirm. We and Irvine are 6-1 (we lost to Harvard B in a hilarious combination of bad packet and bad protest resolution; Irvine lost to us).
I was otherwise occupied this evening but did hear about the protest pretty much right after the resolution was made. I support the way it was handled, though. With the Penn situation, I'm guessing details shouldn't be discussed yet, but Rob, if you want to hear my take (since it was my question) before tomorrow, feel free to send me an email or something.
Yeah; I can't specifically comment on it, I guess, but--and I'm not saying this out of loyalty to our B team--I don't think it's appropriate to give the tossup to a player that gives the answer you guys did.

(I do agree that it was a bad packet, though; I wasn't a fan of a lot of things that packet 3 did.)
Andrew Watkins
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

everyday847 wrote:Yeah; I can't specifically comment on it, I guess, but--and I'm not saying this out of loyalty to our B team--I don't think it's appropriate to give the tossup to a player that gives the answer you guys did.
To clarify, that was not the object of the protest.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

vandyhawk wrote:
Sure, I'd be interested in hearing your take. What's your email address?
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Yuna

We've actually gotten Rounds 1 and 2 done already. While it's probably not realistic to try and rouse Texas for a Round 4 makeup (since we probably have the time now), it would sure be nice.
Chris White
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Try the buffet, folks!
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
olsb25
Wakka

Post by olsb25 »

You better eat a lot for that $13 value...
Kunle Demuren
Ocean Lakes (VA) Scholastic Bowl (2003-07)
Princeton College Bowl (2007-)
rjaguar3
Rikku

Post by rjaguar3 »

The one redeeming thing about the Best Western we're staying at is that the breakfast is complementary. Unlike the Hyatt, where every customer is presumed to have infinity dollars (which may explain why Paul and UChicago are staying there).
Greg (Vanderbilt 2012, Wheaton North 2008)
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Paper stats were posted. DI top bracket is mn a, irvine, ill a*, mit, chicago a*, dartmouth, harvard a*, stanford. *teams are undefeated, others have 1 loss.

DII is michigan*, chicago b, rpi*, osu-mcmaster winner being determined (2 losses), yale, carleton-davidson-wustl winner being determined (2 losses), chicago a*, and princeton

Tiebreakers are still going on, rd 9 to start when that's done
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

Ukonvasara wrote:
vandyhawk wrote:
Sure, I'd be interested in hearing your take. What's your email address?
I think I signed off right around the time of this post. I talked to Andrew on IM, though, so I'm guessing he relayed that conversation.
Matt Keller
Vanderbilt (alum)
ACF editor (emeritus)
NAQT editor (emeritus)
Important Bird Area

Post by Important Bird Area »

DI
--
1M Minnesota A 6-1
2M Cal-Irvine 6-1
3M FSU 5-2
4M Harvard B 5-2
5M Texas 3-4
?M Penn 1-5 (makeup game v Bama)
?M Yale 1-6
?M Alabama 0-5 (makeup v Penn)

Penn-Bama at 9, tiebreak for 6-8 at 9:30 if necessary, ties not affecting playoff
tier are PPTH

1C Illinois A 7-0
2C MIT 6-1
3C Carleton 5-2
4C UCLA 4-3
5C Minnesota B 3-4
?? Princeton 1-6
?? Oklahoma 1-6
?? Tulane 1-6

Oklahoma-Tulane half game 9:30 winner v. Princeton half-game

1A Chicago A 7-0
2A Dartmouth 6-1
3A Maryland 4-3
4A Georgia 4-3
5A Toronto 3-4
6A Michigan 2-5
7A Tulsa 1-6
8A Illinois B 1-6

1P Harvard A 7-0
2P Stanford 6-1
3P Chicago B 5-2
4P Florida 4-3
5P WUStL 3-4
6P Queen's 2-5
7P Cornell 1-6
8P Delaware 0-7

UG: Harvard A, Minnesota A, Dartmouth all made top tier

DII
---
1G Michigan 7-0
2G Chicago B 6-1
3G Valencia A 5-2
4G Arizona State 4-3
5G CWRU 3-4
6G Chipola A 2-5
7G Alabama 1-6
8G Mississippi State B 0-7

1R RPI 7-0
?? Ohio State 5-2
?? McMaster 5-2
4R Davidson B 4-3
5R Northwestern 3-4
6R UCLA 3-4
7R Broward 1-6
8R bye 0-7

1T Yale 7-0
?? Carleton 5-2
?? Davidson A 5-2
?? WUStL 5-2
5T JSR 3-4
6T Gonzaga 2-5
7T Chipola B 1-6
8T Minnesota B 0-7

1F Chicago A 7-0
2F Princeton 5-2
3F Miami (OH) 4-3
4F NE Alabama 4-3
5F Maryland 3-4
6F Mississippi State A 2-5
7F Vanderbilt 2-5
8F Valencia B 0-7
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
cdcarter
Yuna

Post by cdcarter »

After r11 we are taking a lunch break

MN A is still at 1 loss. Harvard, Illinois, and Chicago are all undefeated.

In D2 I assume Aaron Cohen is getting points a lot. He knows things.

We resume with a SURVEY at 1pm.
Christian Carter
Minneapolis South High School '09 | Emerson College '13
PACE Member (retired)
cdcarter
Yuna

Post by cdcarter »

ALSO WHY THE HELL IS THIS IN DALLAS AIRPORT?!
Christian Carter
PACE Member (retired)
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

bt_green_warbler wrote:8P Delaware 0-7
Yay... :roll:
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
cdcarter
Yuna

Post by cdcarter »

D1 final between Chicago and Illinois
UG final between Harvard and MN. Harvard advantaged.
Christian Carter
PACE Member (retired)
cdcarter
Yuna

Post by cdcarter »

Illinois beat Chicago in game one of the D1 final, a second game is going.
Minnesota beat Harvard in game one if the UG final, a second game is going. The winner of this game gets UG and 3rd overall
Chicago beats Michigan the D2 final.
Christian Carter
PACE Member (retired)
cdcarter
Yuna

Post by cdcarter »

Harvard wins UG and 3rd place overall.
Christian Carter
PACE Member (retired)
Susan

Post by Susan »

Chicago beats Illinois in the second game of an advantaged final to win DI.
Susan
Member emerita, ACF
Important Bird Area

I'll confirm the results posted by Susan and Chris above, and also note that Northeast Alabama won the CC title outright.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Important Bird Area

Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

We get live stats next year, right?
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator