Fake Trashionals at Maryland (6/7/09)

Old college threads.
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Fake Trashionals at Maryland (6/7/09)

Post by DumbJaques »

A Fake Trashionals mirror will be held at the University of Maryland on Sunday, June 7, 2009. The tournament will follow the Missouri Open mirror on Saturday, which we encourage everyone to similarly attend.

Base Fee: $120
Buzzer: -$10
Staffer: -$20 (can be applied to Missouri Open mirror on Saturday)
MisO Discount: If your team played at the Missouri Open mirror the previous day (that is, if everyone on your team did) it's an additional -$15.
Minimum fee: $75

Email me at [email protected] or post here to sign up. Hope to see you there.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Re: Fake Trashionals at Maryland (6/7/09)

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

DumbJaques wrote:A Fake Trashionals mirror will be held at the University of Maryland on Sunday, June 7, 2009. The tournament will follow the Missouri Open mirror on Saturday, which we encourage everyone to similarly attend.

Base Fee: $120
Buzzer: -$10
Staffer: -$20 (can be applied to Missouri Open mirror on Saturday)
MisO Discount: If your team played at the Missouri Open mirror the previous day (that is, if everyone on your team did) it's an additional -$15.

Email me at [email protected] or post here to sign up. Hope to see you there.
Since I'll already be in Maryland the day before I could probably find a way to force myself to stay for this.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Demonic Leftovers
Wakka

Post by Demonic Leftovers »

I probably will play this.
TWO TIME NATIONAL CHAMPION David A. Seal, Esq.
QUINTUPLE CROWN WINNER: ICT/ICT/NHB/NHB/CULT
Coach of 2014 and 2015 ICT Champion UVA
University of Chicago '10
University of Virginia School of Law '13
Not Every Team Can Afford Me
Coattail Rider
Jamnman23
Lulu

Post by Jamnman23 »

For the moment, you can definitely pencil in a team from Penn. I have gotten word that in addition to myself, Joe Nguyen and Chris White intend to play this; so we will at least have a three-person team, possibly looking for a fourth if any interested free agents are out there. If you know comics and/or video games we would be extremely happy to have you. Of course, people with any other areas of trash knowledge are also welcome.
Benjamin Frank
University of Pennsylvania 2012
dxdtdemon
Rikku

Post by dxdtdemon »

With the continued delays of the production of this set, is this still going to happen, or are you going back to your packet submission trash idea?
Jonathan Graham
Beavercreek HS 1999-2003, Ohio State 2003-2007, Wright State (possibly playing)2012-2015
moderator/scorekeeper at some tournaments in Ohio, and sometimes elsewhere
"Ohio has a somewhat fractured quizbowl circuit, with a few small pockets of intense competition (like in Mahoning County) and with the rest scattered around the state."-Chris Chiego
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

As far as I know this is going to happen.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Yes, it's being done for Washington this weekend so it will be ready for other mirrors at later dates. If anyone wants to help I'd welcome it, but I'm prepared to finish it this time regardless.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

Will the content be what most people would consider as suitable for high school-aged people? I've received several statements of interest from students, but wish to make sure they're appropriately warned about content if necessary.
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Difficulty-wise, it is no longer "TRASHionals level;" it's a normal trash tournament. If by "content" you mean "are there going to be word choices that might make some people blush," I guess that's possible, but I'm not going out of my way to include that stuff or anything like that.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

Matt Weiner wrote:If by "content" you mean "are there going to be word choices that might make some people blush," I guess that's possible, but I'm not going out of my way to include that stuff or anything like that.
Sorry for the ambiguity. I meant word choices or perhaps question topics of a more adult nature. Your response gives me a pretty good idea of what to expect. Thanks.
John Gilbert
Ellicott City, MD

EncyclopediaCDRom
Wakka

Post by EncyclopediaCDRom »

For those who will be in town for the mirrors of the Missouri Open and its side events, if you decide against competing in these fake TRASHionals, the Washington Nationals host the New York Mets at 1:35 PM EDT. Tickets to Nationals Park (2008) might be less expensive than tickets to Citi Field (2009) would be. As for me, I would much rather compete in this event than Asian literature.

Congratulations to Tony Stewart on his first win with his own Sprint Cup team,
Rom Masrour
CPS/UIC
Rom Masrour
president of RomNation at the races
2011 INDYCAR, 2012 NASCAR, 2012 GRAND-AM, & 2012 American Le Mans Series hard card holder
licensed crew member for car #51 in the 2011-2012 NASCAR Nationwide Series & car #15 in the 2012 GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series
"I'm glad you were at Kentucky for Ed's win instead of me."
"Rommy is better known in the paddock than half the drivers are."
"Drivers love Rommy even more than Rommy loves them."
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

For those who will be in town for the mirrors of the Missouri Open and its side events, if you decide against competing in these fake TRASHionals, the Washington Nationals host the New York Mets at 1:35 PM EDT. Tickets to Nationals Park (2008) might be less expensive than tickets to Citi Field (2009) would be. As for me, I would much rather compete in this event than Asian literature.
This message is very confusing, primarily because I cannot figure out if you are expressing interest in playing at this site, or if you're just dropping by to encourage people to skip out on attending our tournament in favor of a baseball game. Also, Asian lit has been postponed, I think.

If you aren't listed in the field below, please let me know.

Field:
Penn
Wilson HS and Co
UMD House
Howard
Silver Screen People

Free Agents:
Chris White (maybe)
George Berry
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
dxdtdemon
Rikku

Post by dxdtdemon »

I guess I am now a free agent.
Jonathan Graham
Beavercreek HS 1999-2003, Ohio State 2003-2007, Wright State (possibly playing)2012-2015
"Ohio has a somewhat fractured quizbowl circuit, with a few small pockets of intense competition (like in Mahoning County) and with the rest scattered around the state."-Chris Chiego
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

Go ahead and make us a solid one team. Will bring buzzer.
John Gilbert
Ellicott City, MD

EncyclopediaCDRom
Wakka

Post by EncyclopediaCDRom »

Chris, I meant that my Missouri Open mirror teammate might rather attend the game than play trash. Actually, we will not know until perhaps this long weekend whether we can feasibly fly to DC anyway, but you may still add me as a free agent for these fake TRASHionals for the time being. I read that the Asian lit was indeed postponed as of a month ago.

Congratulations to Rachel Alexandra,
Rom Masrour
CPS/UIC
Rom Masrour
president of RomNation at the races
2011 INDYCAR, 2012 NASCAR, 2012 GRAND-AM, & 2012 American Le Mans Series hard card holder
licensed crew member for car #51 in the 2011-2012 NASCAR Nationwide Series & car #15 in the 2012 GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series
"I'm glad you were at Kentucky for Ed's win instead of me."
"Rommy is better known in the paddock than half the drivers are."
"Drivers love Rommy even more than Rommy loves them."
dxdtdemon
Rikku

Post by dxdtdemon »

I am apparently now playing on Penn's team.
Jonathan Graham
Demonic Leftovers
Wakka

Post by Demonic Leftovers »

I won't actually be playing this.
TWO TIME NATIONAL CHAMPION David A. Seal, Esq.
QUINTUPLE CROWN WINNER: ICT/ICT/NHB/NHB/CULT
Coach of 2014 and 2015 ICT Champion UVA
University of Chicago '10
University of Virginia School of Law '13
Not Every Team Can Afford Me
Coattail Rider
Theory Of The Leisure Flask
Yuna

Post by Theory Of The Leisure Flask »

It's 50/50 at best I'll be able to make this; I'm sure the rest of the Penn team will be down regardless.
Chris White
Bloomfield HS (New Jersey) '01, Swarthmore College '05, University of Pennsylvania '10. Still writes questions occasionally.
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Chris wrote:It's 50/50 at best I'll be able to make this; I'm sure the rest of the Penn team will be down regardless.
Dude, what the fuck, what am I going to do with all these guitar hero music theory tossups now? I'm just going to be reading "this work opens with a moving crescendo of red, red, green before switching to a sustained yellow" while Ben and Mehdi cry in the corner, that's what. Come to the tournament!
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
No Sollositing On Premise
Tidus

Post by No Sollositing On Premise »

I might join this as a free agent if I'm not doing anything else that weekend (likely). I've only played one trash tournament ever, but I did okay.
Mike Sollosi, University of Virginia
answerguy
Lulu

Post by answerguy »

Would you believe if I said I had a team for this? Well, actually, I got talked into it (not that I needed a lot of persuading) by some friends, and I've apparently even talked a fourth person into this madness.

3/4 of us are not part of TRASH.
Tim Young
GWU Law School (1996-99)
Dartmouth College (1992-96)
TRASH functionary
Tournament Director, TRASHionals 2009
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Here is the current tournament info:

We will start registration at 8:30 in Jimenez 0105. Hopefully rounds will get going by 9:15. The current field is:

Penn + Jonathan Graham
Wilson HS and Co x2
UMD House 1-2
Howard
Silver Screen People
Team Virginia
Tim/Dan/Tricia and friend

Free Agents:
Mike Sollosi

I am told by Matt Weiner that we will have 11 packets to use, so we'll probably do some variant on prelim round robin and playoff brackets (exact format TBA).

I suppose there's still room if people want to sign up, just let me know ASAP (or let me know if the field is not correct in a way that relates to you).
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

DumbJaques wrote:Here is the current tournament info:

We will start registration at 8:30 in Jimenez 0105. Hopefully rounds will get going by 9:15. The current field is:

Penn + Jonathan Graham
Wilson HS and Co x2
UMD House 1-2
Howard
Silver Screen People

Free Agents:
Chris White (maybe)
George Berry
Mike Sollosi

I am told by Matt Weiner that we will have 11 packets to use, so we'll probably do some variant on prelim round robin and playoff brackets (exact format TBA).

I suppose there's still room if people want to sign up, just let me know ASAP (or let me know if the field is not correct in a way that relates to you).
George Berry, Will Butler, I, and a possible fourth will be playing this.
Evan Adams
VCU '11, UVA '14, NYU '15
Theory Of The Leisure Flask
Yuna

Post by Theory Of The Leisure Flask »

DumbJaques wrote:Here is the current tournament info:

Penn + Jonathan Graham
Wilson HS and Co x2
UMD House 1-2
Howard
Silver Screen People
VCUish
Tim/Dan/Tricia and friend

Free Agents:
Chris White (maybe)
George Berry
Mike Sollosi

I'm not a free agent, I'm on the Penn team. (Assuming, of course, the 90% chance I am there.)
Chris White
Bloomfield HS (New Jersey) '01, Swarthmore College '05, University of Pennsylvania '10. Still writes questions occasionally.
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Hey, does anyone know if Fake Trashionals plans to be mirrored anywhere else?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

My best?-laid plans have once again gone awry, and this tournament will be around 8 rounds rather than 11.

I will be offering the set to UTC, Tulsa, and Berkeley in the future, though it's up to them whether to host it. As this has become a horrible white whale for me (essentially, I've been writing this tournament for two years now and accomplished all of eight packets, leaving a lot of frustrated teams in the wake), I don't know whether any further promises about packet volume are a good idea.
Matt Weiner
dxdtdemon
Rikku

Post by dxdtdemon »

The Dead Celebrities (Tim Young, Tricia Southard, Dan Greenstein, and their friend) won the first game of an advantaged final over the Maryland house team. The prelims went something like:
Dead Celebrities 6-0
Maryland house team 5-1
The Handiquacks (Penn people + me) 4-2
VCUVA (Evan Adams, Will Butler, George Berry, and Mike) 3-3
not sure about the records of the high school teams, but 2-4 or lower

I would like to thank Chris Ray for being an excellent tournament director, and the moderators for doing a good job. I would also like to thank the writers for an unintended subdistribution that really benefitted our team. How soon can we discuss the questions?
Jonathan Graham
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

I would like to thank Chris Ray for being an excellent tournament director, and the moderators for doing a good job.
Thanks, but I wasn't really the tournament director. Considering we had 7 teams and 7 (and then 8) packets, this event was to a degree self-propagating. SteveJon Guth organized the moderators, schedule, packet distribution, and other logistics, and generally served as the actual TD, to the extent that there was one. I just happened to be the one who did the talking during the morning meeting.

I hope everyone enjoyed the event. Stats are available at http://results.scobo.net/resultmenu.aspx?org=MAQT&id=1.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
wilsonmathteacher
Lulu

Post by wilsonmathteacher »

I'd also like to thank the hosts and all of the participants. My kids all had a really good time and were pleased at how friendly the "older" people there were. It was sad we didn't do better, but I think the questions fit into the period of time that is too old for my kids and too young for their old coach :grin: .
Jeremy Singer
Coach, Woodrow Wilson HS Quiz Bowl Team
"Pushing towards being competitive.... very slowly"
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

It would have been nice to know in the weeks beforehand that the "additional packets" promised were in fact just a singular packet so I could have written a packet or something, but when number of packets is the biggest gripe I can make, something must have gone right. This was way better than certain other trash tournaments I have seen, even if there were a few clunkers.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
sabine01
Tidus

Post by sabine01 »

Our "friend" was Josh Levy (formerly of Penn and BU Law), so team "I'm a Dead Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here!" was essentially half of the "Dans" (Greenstein and myself) and half of "Riders of Lohan/Tom DeLay Industries, etc..." (Young and Levy).

Many thanks again, MAQT...

~T~
Tricia Southard Greenstein, MLS
Furman '01 | GWU Staff | Maryland '10

I don't care whose fault this was, just get it sorted! And could someone please bring me something deep fat fried and smothered in chocolate?! ~ Fairy Godmother, "Shrek 2"
No Sollositing On Premise
Tidus

Post by No Sollositing On Premise »

I had a good time, but I'm also reminded of exactly how out of practice I am regarding quizbowl in general. I fell into some of my old bad habits.

EDIT: also, are there stats/standings available for the eighth round?
Mike Sollosi, University of Virginia