2009 ACF Fall at the University of Missouri-Columbia (10/31)

Old college threads.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

2009 ACF Fall at the University of Missouri-Columbia (10/31)

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Hello quizbowlers,

I am pleased to announce that the University of Missouri in Columbia has been chosen as the site for the 2009 Missouri-area ACF Fall tournament. This event will be held on October 31st. If you have not already played it, ACF Fall is intended as a very low-difficulty tournament that would be very appropriate for anyone interested, especially novices.

The base entry fee will be $120 per team. Discounts that are not related to packet submissions will include:
• $5 off for each functional 8-person buzzer set.
• $10 off for each staffer.
• $5 for a laptop: only 1 allowed per team.
• $10 off for every 200 miles you traveled (will be determined by mapquest).
• $25 for every team that is new to ACF. This applies to a team from a school that did not attend any of the ACF-sponsored tournaments between September 1, 2007, and now.
• $75 off for every team that is new to quizbowl. This also includes teams who only attended IS-set tournaments or College Bowl/Honda CASC between September 1, 2007, and now.

Now onto packet discounts. Any team that has nothing but members who did not play in a collegiate quizbowl tournament before September 1st, 2008 is exempt from having to submit a packet. This also applies if you only played in an IS-set tournament, or if you only played in a tournament run as part of the College Bowl Company or Honda CASC before those dates. Every other team that intends to play this tournament will be expected to submit a packet, or else will be subject to not playing in the tournament. If you submit your packets by the following dates, you will receive the corresponding discount:
• Sept 19, 2009: -$50
• Sept 26, 2009: -$25 (-$50 for teams not required to submit packets)
• Oct 10, 2009: No penalty (-$25 for teams not required to submit packets)
• Oct 17, 2009: +$25
• Oct 24, 2009: +$50
• After Oct. 24, 2009: The editors may grant one or more 24-hour extensions at an additional penalty of $10 per day.

Please send your completed packets to [email protected], and have the subject line of “ACF Fall 2009: [Team Name].” Please go to http://acf-quizbowl.com/documents/packetsub.php to read more specifics about how to distribute and format your packet.

One last discount is for any team that meets all the criteria of being a team with 2 or fewer people, that is being funded directly by members, and that you submit a packet before the no-penalty deadline (if you are required to submit a packet). Solo teams meeting this condition will get an $80 discount, and 2 man teams will get a $60 discount. This is in addition to all the other discounts listed above.

To register a team, please email me at [email protected]. I will be routinely posting field updates on hsquizbowl.org, and you are recommended to go there to find out other information from the editor, Gautam Kandlikar.

I hope to see you and your teammates in Columbia on Halloween!
-Charles Dees, Tournament Director
Last edited by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) on Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

Re: 2009 ACF Fall at the University of Missouri-Columbia (10/31)

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Lemma »

Truman will have two teams submitting packets and 1 more team for sure. We will probably have 4 assuming new recruits.
Kent Buxton
Truman State University '09
TSU- Science Education Grad Program '11

I wrote that announcement very late at night last night, so the paragraph on exemptions from writing packets is much clearer now. However, I presume it won't be a big deal since everyone will have checked the ACF threads here.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White

Here is a running field:
Harding University (1)
Kansas State University (1 Grad)
Missouri (as needed)
St. Louis University (2 D2)
Truman State University (1 D2, 2 UG)
Washington University (1 D2)
Last edited by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) on Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:30 am, edited 14 times in total.

I just feel like this thread shouldn't be on the 2nd page, so I'm posting to move it up.

Citizen Genet
Kimahri

Post by Citizen Genet »

Since this tournament lands on Halloween, the burning question is: are costumes permissible?
Caleb G.
Kansas State University '12
Park Hill South '08

Citizen Genet wrote:Since this tournament lands on Halloween, the burning question is: are costumes permissible?
viewtopic.php?p=154420#p154420

Hey everyone, if you are the main contact for teams on the field listed above, please be sure to check your emails.

This is just a reminder to everybody attending tomorrow:

Registration will begin at 8:30. We will be meeting in the auditorium on the first floor of the Arts and Sciences building. Information about that building's location can be found here - http://map.missouri.edu/bldgview.php?bldg=37012.

We will do everything possible to begin round one at 9 AM. If your team causes us to be late, there will be a financial penalty as outlined in the email I sent out.

Parking is free around campus on Saturdays, so that should be no problem for our small field given that there are is football game.

We will be running a 9 team round robin for the preliminary rounds, and then we will take our house team out of the field to help staff the playoffs, and then run 2 pools of 4 to get everybody 11 games in 12 rounds. Hopefully this will be enough games to suit everybody. Fair warning: we will ask that during the prelims on your bye round, a couple people per team keep score in an understaffed room. We have most of the staff we need, and we will when we disband our 2 man house team, but in order for us to run a format that gets everybody an optimal number of games and that doesn't run a lot of risks for taking forever to play, we ask that a couple people help us on their bye to make everything more efficient.

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me at [email protected]. Thanks everybody for choosing to come to our event, we are excited to run this tomorrow!

jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

We are likely setting the standard for "stats done by remote" today as I'll be running stats for ACF Fall Lower Midwest from New Jersey. Updates every other round or so here:
http://justpredictions.webs.com/quizbow ... dings.html
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov

Jon Pinyan is the absolute bomb everybody. So is Kathy Cella, Amy from Hickman, Kenny Uphoff, Gordon Arsenoff, and all the teams and Mu people who came to make this event happen. After a shaky start with some computer problems, we got in a nice groove I think.
As for results:
Truman State A went 11-0 over the day to clear the field. Washington University and Truman State C were tied for 2nd, the Undergraduate title, and the D2 title. Washington University made a convincing win in the tiebreaker game of 240-110, to take home all three of those trophies. Hearty congratulations all around!

Oh, I am most decidedly not the bomb for forgetting to name Jason Loy, who even after his school dropped still came through with his promise to read, and Sean Phillips for getting a hold of Jon for us to make this crazy stats thing happen. Please excuse my frazzled brain for letting those go.