FOGHAT Packets Available for Oct/Nov Tourneys

Old college threads.
Jeremy White
Lulu

FOGHAT Packets Available for Oct/Nov Tourneys

Post by Jeremy White »

Once again, I am writing a set of trash packets, this year named F.O.G.H.A.T. 2009: The Ninth Tournament Should Be Double Live. Like last year, I will not personally be running a tournament on the set and am offering the set to those who would like to run a tournament with it.

UT-Chattanooga has requested to run a tourney with the set on Sunday, October 25th and Wash U-St. Louis has requested to do the same on Sunday, November 22nd. Please contact me if you are interested in running a tournament on the set on or between those weekends, too. I will probably not grant requests to use the set for the weekend of November 7th/8th as that is TRASH Regionals weekend.

There is no fee to run a tournament with the question set. I just want to find the set as many good homes as possible so that it can entertain and/or irritate the maximum number or players possible. Still, I must reserve the right to say no to some requests to avoid geographical overlap or even for purely arbitrary reasons. No writing is needed to run a tourney on the set, but priority would be given to potential hosts who can provide at least one person who will not play on the set and could assist with editing. (Fear not, I do have some editing help already lined up, but the more the better.)

There will be at least ten, probably eleven packets. All of those will be written by me with the exception of a guest packet that Michael Kearney has kindly volunteered to contribute. The packets are written for use in untimed 20-toss-up rounds and each packet contains 22 toss-ups and 21 bonus. These rounds will touch on the typical topics; I am shooting for 20% movies, 20% music, 20% sports, 20% TV, 8% video games and 12% everything else.

Please be warned that the packets, like those used in most past F.O.G.H.A.T.s, will have very silly and subtle (or sometimes unsubtle) themes. To put it another way, these are not theme rounds in the sense of being all about the Simpsons or wrestling. Again, as stated above, they will be balanced rounds covering all the typical trash topics. Examples of past F.O.G.H.A.T. rounds include one in which all the questions mention a celebrity winemaker, one in which all the questions had the words "Elvis Costello" in them and one in which each answer contained a word that also names a type of body of water.

If you have any questions or are interested in running a tournament with the set, please e-mail me at [email protected].

In closing, anyone who understands the sub-titular reference in this year's set name totally deserves a sugar cube.

Thanks for your time,

Jeremy White
Jeremy M. White
Missouri University of Science and Technology grad (1997)
Member of the current, and apparently last, TRASHionals championship team