NAQT SCT Canada 2010

Old college threads.
Senator_Jay
Rikku

NAQT SCT Canada 2010

Post by Senator_Jay »

Hey all, so I apologize for the late post on here, but as many of you know from the NAQT website (or may have heard from me at tournaments), McMaster University in Hamilton, ON is hosting the NAQT SCT for Canada, 2010. I've received word from some teams so far who plan on attending, but the field is still wide open. As of right now, the location is on the 2nd and 3rd floors of the student center (MUSC) at 1280 Main St. W, Hamilton, ON. The usual base fees apply as per NAQT ($120 for the first team, $100 for additional), with discounts for new teams, distance travelled, staffers, buzzers, and clocks (such discounts are still being sorted out as per their value). If any teams would like to let me know if they'll be attending, send me an email at [email protected], or [email protected]. Anyways, happy new year, and I look forward to seeing the teams that come out to our site for SCT!

Jay Misuk
Jay Misuk
McMaster University, 2009, 2010, 2016
University of Toronto, 2011, 2017, 2022
MEd. (Educational Linguistics) MSc. (CogSciLing), Hon. BA (Linguistics), BA (History), BEd. (History, Geography, Music, Math, Soc. Sci, Law, Latin)

Tri-national competitor; tri-national neg champion.
To quote the ephemeral Jordan Palmer - "There is no shame, only points"
bsmith
Tidus

Re: NAQT SCT Canada 2010

Post by bsmith »

We don't have "permission" yet, but Ottawa fully intends to crash the region 7 party. There will be one or two DII teams and a DI team consisting entirely of me.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

bsmith wrote:We don't have "permission" yet, but Ottawa fully intends to crash the region 7 party.
Consider "permission" granted. (You don't actually need our permission, per our policy:)
naqt.com wrote:Teams will always be able to attend their "home" Sectional; they will also always have the choice of attending the closest Sectional, even if it is in another region. Should they want to attend a Sectional that is neither of these, a request for an exception will be considered by a committee established by NAQT and ACUI.
Ottawa to Hamilton: 5 hours, 21 minutes

Ottawa to Cambridge, MA: 7 hours, 6 minutes

Ottawa to Fairfax, VA: 9 hours, 15 minutes

You would need permission if we had found a host within region 2 closer than McMaster (eg, Rochester or McGill).
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Post by MahoningQuizBowler »

Youngstown State has no choice but to attend here. We're in Region 7, and it's the closest site. I'm hoping to bring a D1 and D2 team -- the D1 team may end up being me playing solo, although I hope not.
Greg Bossick
Director, Mahoning Quizbowl League (2004-2011, 2013-present)
Director, NAQT Ohio Small School State Championship (2018-present)
Executive Director, Ohio Academic Competition (2013-2016)
Important Bird Area

MahoningQuizBowler wrote:Youngstown State has no choice but to attend here. We're in Region 7, and it's the closest site.
Keep in mind that you do have the choice to ask us for an exception.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
MicroEStudent
Rikku

Post by MicroEStudent »

I sent an e-mail to Jay, but RIT is definitively bringing 1 D1 team with a very small chance at a D2 team. That should be figured out by 1/11 or so.
Nathaniel Kane
RIT '09, '11 (BS Microelectronic Engineering, MS Microelectronic Engineering)
Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

Well here's an early update...I forgot to mention earlier that we'll only be competing on the Saturday, thus giving the long-distance teams enough time to settle in on Friday night, and have Sat. night for whatever else. As for discounts, we'll have the $40 New Team, $20 Multiple Team, $10 Staffer, $10 Buzzer, $5 Timer, and a $10 Distance (if you travel over 250 miles, or 400km). As for the field, we are tentatively at:

McMaster DI = 1-2 DII = 1-3
Toronto DI = 2 DII = 1
Guelph DI = 1 DII = 1-2
RIT DI = 1 DII = (1)
(Ottawa) DI = 1 DII = 1-2
(YSU) DI = 1 DII = 1
Waterloo DI = ? DII = ?
(UBC) DI = ? DII = ?

And I'm expecting to hear from some other schools, but for now the field's at approximately 6-10 DI teams, and 8-12 DII teams. If anyone has any questions, please again respond to the emails I've posted above and/or post here. I hope everyone's enjoying the arrival of winter! (at least, we're finally getting snow in Hamilton...)
Jay Misuk
MEd. (Educational Linguistics) MSc. (CogSciLing), Hon. BA (Linguistics), BA (History), BEd. (History, Geography, Music, Math, Soc. Sci, Law, Latin)

Quantum Mushroom Billiard Hat
Rikku

Post by Quantum Mushroom Billiard Hat »

Michigan is planning on coming. I would guess something like 1 DI and 2-3 DII teams.
Michael Hausinger
Coach, Bay City Western High School
formerly of University of Michigan and East Lansing High School
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

bt_green_warbler wrote:Consider "permission" granted.
OK, it's just that our original request (to play in region 7 instead of hosting region 2) was forwarded to the "exception committee" rather than answered outright.

So Ottawa is confirmed, except for the number of DII teams. We've got distance, 1 buzzer (and one that is 7/8 functional), and at least a dozen clocks (I'll count again at some point).
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
Important Bird Area

bsmith wrote:
bt_green_warbler wrote:Consider "permission" granted.
OK, it's just that our original request (to play in region 7 instead of hosting region 2) was forwarded to the "exception committee" rather than answered outright.
We screwed up and should have given you an answer right away. Anyway: fixed now.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

What is the "Optional Experience-Enhancing Fee" on the registration form? As far as I know, the McMaster site only has discounts.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
MicroEStudent
Rikku

Post by MicroEStudent »

RIT will not be bringing a DII team, just the one DI team.
Nathaniel Kane
Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

Ok, so another update now...I'd just like to remind everyone that registration this year is to be done through NAQT's new online registration system, at least officially; you should all still continue emailing/posting me updates though. That being said, the only team officially registered right now is Ottawa. So, at this time the field tentatively stands at:

Ottawa DI x1 DII x2
McMaster DI x1-2 DII x1-2
RIT DI x1
Rochester DI/II x1
Toronto DI x2 DII x1
Michigan DI x1 DII x2-3

This means that the field has shrunk in some areas, grown in others; I'm still waiting to hear from some more teams across the region, but we still do have a few weeks left. For this region registration will close on Jan. 31 at 12pm. Anyways, good luck to all with your studies this term, and good luck prepping for SCT!
Jay Misuk

swwFCqb
Rikku

Post by swwFCqb »

bsmith wrote:What is the "Optional Experience-Enhancing Fee" on the registration form? As far as I know, the McMaster site only has discounts.
Could we get a clarification on this? Because I too am curious as to what it is.
Steven Wellstead
Fisher Catholic High School '07
Case Western Reserve University '11
NAQT writer
Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

Oh yes, the "Optional Experience Enhancing Fee" is basically just that, an optional fee. If teams wish to donate $10 towards the running of the tournament (in otherwords, cancel a buzzer discount or something) to help cover refreshments, prizes, and also we're hoping to provide our staffers with at least small tokens of appreciation. But as I said, it's completely optional.
Jay Misuk

swwFCqb
Rikku

Post by swwFCqb »

After talking with the team, Case will be able to show up to this with one D1 team. We'll be bringing 3 buzzer systems and 1 clock.
Steven Wellstead
NAQT writer
the third garrideb
Wakka

Post by the third garrideb »

It looks like Waterloo will have 2-3 DII teams and 0 DI teams. We will be bringing 1 buzzer and 1 moderator.
Huma Zafar
University of Waterloo alumna
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

I went ahead and registered 12 clocks. I don't want to scam you (the hosts) out of money, though, so if you don't think you'll need that many, let me know and I'll change the registration. Alternatively, I think I can come up with 14 if the need arises.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
Rikku

We also could bring a very large number of clocks. Is there some number you think would be the most fair?
Michael Hausinger
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

squareroot165 wrote:We also could bring a very large number of clocks. Is there some number you think would be the most fair?
I'm sure we can work out a fair number, once we know how many teams are actually coming. Perhaps let the teams with one clock take their discounts, then split the remainder in half between us?
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
Rikku

bsmith wrote:
squareroot165 wrote:We also could bring a very large number of clocks. Is there some number you think would be the most fair?
I'm sure we can work out a fair number, once we know how many teams are actually coming. Perhaps let the teams with one clock take their discounts, then split the remainder in half between us?
That would be reasonable.
Michael Hausinger
women, fire and dangerous things
Tidus

Post by women, fire and dangerous things »

Western is sending one Div I team, and one buzzer set. We just registered on the NAQT website.
Will Nediger
-Proud member of the cult of Urcuchillay-
University of Western Ontario 2011, University of Michigan 2017
Member emeritus, ACF
Writer, NAQT
Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

Ok all, so it's time for another field update; SCT is just 2 weeks away, and the deadline to register on NAQT is Jan. 31. I shall consider any teams not registered by 12pm on Jan. 31 to be not coming (for logistical purposes), so those of you who haven't committed yet should do so! That being said, here's the current (tentative) field, where teams in brackets are teams expressing interest but not yet registered:

DI: Ottawa A DII: Ottawa B
Guelph A Ottawa C
Western Guelph B
RIT Guelph C
(McGill) Waterloo A
(Michigan A) Waterloo B
(Case Western) (Queen's A)
(McMaster A) (Queen's B)
(McMaster B) (Michigan B)
(Michigan C)
(Michigan D)
(Wayne State)
(McMaster C)

As you can see, there are currently 4-9 DI teams, and 6-13 DII teams. We have enough rooms booked to have 13-14 games going at once, meaning we can accomodate up to 26-7 teams. There are also other teams who have 'very tentatively' spoken to me which I haven't added to the above list, so spaces are getting limited. Anyways, have a good week everyone!
Jay Misuk

Windows ME
Wakka

Post by Windows ME »

<unofficial do not speak for club>

Can tenatively say Toronto should have at least 3 teams coming to this (2 D1, 1 D2) at the minimum. Just finalizing numbers in practice this week. Possibly a fourth, depending on interest.

</unofficial>
Sinan U.
U of Toronto 2010
U of Alberta 2015
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

I am coming to represent Youngstown State in D1, solo. I look forward to the numerous and plentiful beatings I will be dealt.

At practice this week, we will see if we have enough players with passports to form a D2 team.
Greg Bossick
sds
Wakka

Post by sds »

Michigan's registered 3 teams for now; we're not quite sure about a fourth yet. I put us down for 6 timers for the time being, and 2 sets of buzzers - if you need more, let us know and we can probably bring a third.
Surya
Michigan '10 & '14
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

I modified Ottawa's registration for only 6 clocks. One or two other schools might have a clock, but it looks like (between Michigan and us) there will be enough for 24-26 teams. I will probably still bring a couple extra (free of charge) if problems arise with the ones we have.
MahoningQuizBowler wrote:I am coming to represent Youngstown State in D1, solo. I look forward to the numerous and plentiful beatings I will be dealt.
I'm also the only Ottawa player who needs to be in DI. Not many undergrads are volunteering to be my teammate...

EDIT: a simple search suggests that parking is $5 flat for the lot in front of MUSC. Can you confirm this? I can't remember what I did for parking last time at McMaster.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

Sounds good, we only have room for 26 teams maximum anyways, so that works out well. As for parking, yes, it's unfortunately $5 flat rate for the day in the lots...I'll see if I can swing a deal, but it's unlikely. But we'll see.
Jay Misuk

Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

Ok, here's another update. A bunch of teams registered over the past few days, I'm only really waiting for official registrations from Wayne State, McGill, and YSU (my most recent message is a cancellation via NAQT). So below is an updated list:

DI: Ottawa A, Guelph A, Western, RIT, McMaster A, Michigan A, Case Western, Toronto A, Toronto B, (YSU), (McGill)
DII: Ottawa B, Ottawa C, Guelph B, Guelph C, Waterloo A, Waterloo B, Mac B, Michigan B, Michigan C, Toronto C, Queen's A, Queen's B, (Wayne State)

As you can all see, this is shaping up to be a fairly sizeable field, with 10-11 teams in DI, and 12-13 teams in DII. This means that as of right now we will have 11-12 games running at once, and we have a maximum room availability for 13 games, though I'd like to keep the field at the current estimated size. Also, to be safe, we would appreciate at least 1-2 more buzzer systems, and if anyone else would like to moderate or scorekeep, that would be good too. We have enough 'potential' people, but more experienced moderators would be appreciated. Anyways, just another week and a half to go!
Jay Misuk

MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

I'm registered on NAQT's site. (YSU)
Greg Bossick
sds
Wakka

Post by sds »

Are you set on staff for this tournament? Our Div I team has 5 people, so we could work out something with a rotating moderator (similar to what we did at ICT last year) - should we plan on this? (We're all experienced readers, etc.)
Surya
Michigan '10 & '14
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

sds wrote:Are you set on staff for this tournament?
I will cry if McMaster is understaffed while fielding 2 teams.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

We are currently good on staff...this is of course dependent upon people not dying, or falling ill, or bailing at the last minute. Given the current number of teams registered and therefore the number of rooms we'll be running, at the moment we have more than the required amount. But even if there's a huge dying out of staff, we've got emergency plans anyways; thanks for the concern though!
Jay Misuk

swwFCqb
Rikku

Post by swwFCqb »

bsmith wrote:
sds wrote:Are you set on staff for this tournament?
I will cry if McMaster is understaffed while fielding 2 teams.
I certainly hope they don't make the mistake of playing their best moderators, especially seeing as they have an autobid anyways.
Steven Wellstead
NAQT writer
MicroEStudent
Rikku

Post by MicroEStudent »

As a team coming from the US, I have a question. How accepting of US currency are the establishments in Hamilton? We aren't staying in a hotel, so I don't know where I could exchange money if I needed to do so. I ask so that I can get a rough estimate of how much money I should change into Canadian prior to the trip.

Thanks.
Nathaniel Kane
Susan

Post by Susan »

MicroEStudent wrote:As a team coming from the US, I have a question. How accepting of US currency are the establishments in Hamilton? We aren't staying in a hotel, so I don't know where I could exchange money if I needed to do so. I ask so that I can get a rough estimate of how much money I should change into Canadian prior to the trip.

Thanks.
Wouldn't it be easier just to find an ATM in Canada? That's what I've done whenever I've visited Canada (whenever I've gone abroad anywhere in the past 6 or 7 years, actually).
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF
MicroEStudent
Rikku

Post by MicroEStudent »

myamphigory wrote:
MicroEStudent wrote:As a team coming from the US, I have a question. How accepting of US currency are the establishments in Hamilton? We aren't staying in a hotel, so I don't know where I could exchange money if I needed to do so. I ask so that I can get a rough estimate of how much money I should change into Canadian prior to the trip.

Thanks.
Wouldn't it be easier just to find an ATM in Canada? That's what I've done whenever I've visited Canada (whenever I've gone abroad anywhere in the past 6 or 7 years, actually).
When we went up to Toronto for EFT, the ATMs (along with the parking meters) would not take my debit card from a local Rochester bank.
Nathaniel Kane
swwFCqb
Rikku

Post by swwFCqb »

Thanks.
There was a currency exchange counter at the duty free shop we entered on our way to Toronto's EFT mirror. Unless there are better suggestions, I'd suggest just exchanging there on your way in and then taking whatever you have left at the end and exchanging it to US currency on your way back. That's probably what I'll be doing anyway.
Steven Wellstead
NAQT writer
Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

Yeah, unfortunately Hamilton is too far from the border to accept US money at the vast majority of establishments. If we were in, say, Niagara Falls, then US money is often accepted. But up at this end of the lake your only choice I believe is to convert some before you come. To help with estimates, hotel rooms in Hamilton are generally pretty cheap (this isn't exactly a vacation destination...), but food may be a little more expensive (in CDN) than in upstate New York, from my experience. Probably all the taxes.
Jay Misuk

adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

Thanks.
Also, I personally know that I take a fair number of trips down to the US and could always use some extra American cash. If it's okay with Jay et. al., I would be willing to bring some Canadian money with me and exchange it with people (using whatever exchange rate Google gives that day), since it would probably be a better deal for both parties involved than going to a bank (of course, we'd probably have to discuss this ahead of time so I know how much I should be bringing with me) .
Aaron Dos Remedios
Formerly of the Waterloo School of Abstruse Canadian Inside Jokes (University of Waterloo)
Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

That's no problem with me Aaron. Also, just a reminder that I will not be accepting team registrations made past 12:30pm EST today, so if you wanted in on this SCT and haven't registered through NAQT yet, you'd best be hurrying! I'll send out the field list by the end of today.
Jay Misuk

women, fire and dangerous things
Tidus

Post by women, fire and dangerous things »

So, what time should we show up?
Will Nediger
-Proud member of the cult of Urcuchillay-
University of Western Ontario 2011, University of Michigan 2017
Member emeritus, ACF
Writer, NAQT
Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

I'm going to tentatively say, aim for 8:30. That gives teams some room. I'd like to start by 9:30 at the latest.
Jay Misuk

sds
Wakka

Post by sds »

I assume it'll be a full round robin for both divisions (?)
Also, does anyone have an idea of how many undergrad DI teams will be present? We've got the one.
Surya
Michigan '10 & '14
Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

Ok, so I'm not accepting anymore registrations (except the one in progress from Rochester)...as of today, there are 11 DI teams, and 11 DII teams; a fairly decent field for both sides. As for Sat. morning, I'd like teams to attempt to arrive for 8:30 to check-in, as I'm hoping to start by 9:30 at the latest. We'll see how that goes, knowing that some teams are coming from far and wide. I'm attempting to strike a deal with parking right now whereby teams would receive vouchers for a discounted rate, so you'd only be paying $3 for the day instead of $5. Anyways, the field can be seen on NAQT's website, if anyone has any questions, feel free!
Jay Misuk

Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

As for DI Undergrad teams, I'm not entirely sure...but I'm thinking there'll be at least 2-4 eligible DI Undergrad teams. As for structure of the tournament, given that there are 11 teams in each division, it will be a full round-robin for both. Given the approx. 30min. per game and movement to the next room, that gives us about 5.5-6hrs of tournament time; add a lunch, and we theoretically should be done by 4 or 5, which would be ideal.
Jay Misuk

bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

Senator_Jay wrote:As for structure of the tournament, given that there are 11 teams in each division, it will be a full round-robin for both. Given the approx. 30min. per game and movement to the next room, that gives us about 5.5-6hrs of tournament time; add a lunch, and we theoretically should be done by 4 or 5, which would be ideal.
The 2005 SCT (11 teams) did a round-robin + a 4/4/3 playoff split by 4:30 PM. There's an extra 2-3 minutes per match now, but if the game rooms are near each other, 14 rounds shouldn't finish later than 5:30.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
swwFCqb
Rikku

Post by swwFCqb »

sds wrote:Also, does anyone have an idea of how many undergrad DI teams will be present? We've got the one.
We'll be undergrad.

EDIT: Yeah, I wouldn't mind playing an extra 2-3 games after the initial RR.
Steven Wellstead
NAQT writer
Camelopardalis
Wakka

Post by Camelopardalis »

There is a possibility that we may have to merge two of our teams, which would theoretically free up a spot in DII. I'm sorry about the late notice - I can let you know by Wednesday for sure.**IGNORE THIS - SEE EDIT.

Also, ACF Fall finished super early and that was awesome; if that can be done for SCT, within the bounds of a full playing schedule, that would be super duper!

EDIT: Never mind, we'll still have three teams. Also, clarification.
Last edited by Camelopardalis on Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Greenwood
Lisgar '08, Guelph '15
Member | ONQBA, PACE
Ontario Veterinary College, co 2015

Visit ONQBA on Facebook!
sds
Wakka

Post by sds »

swwFCqb wrote:Yeah, I wouldn't mind playing an extra 2-3 games after the initial RR.
Us either, I'm pretty sure. Since game length is so tightly controlled, it should be quite easy to keep things moving along at a good pace.

Were you planning on any sort of advantaged final to determine overall winner (or Div I UG winner, if that ends up being relevant)?
Surya
Michigan '10 & '14