Buzzers for Large Teams

New high school teams looking for advice should post here.
HaslettSenior
Kimahri

Buzzers for Large Teams

Post by HaslettSenior »

Hello all,

Recently, my team has expanded from twelve to over twenty students, and we're looking to find a new buzzer system to accomodate growing numbers. Currently, we use a handheld push-button series with lockout. This configuration creates a spaghetti monster of cords, so we're looking to find something wireless if possible. Can anyone recommend some places to look or, even better, some specific models?

Thanks!
HS

User was reminded to enable a signature.
Matthew Heard
Varsity Captain (sometimes)
Haslett High School, Michigan
merv1618
Tidus

Re: Buzzers for Large Teams

Post by merv1618 »

Wireless buzzers are more hassle than they're worth, plus they cost a lot of money. I've said this before on the forums, but when it comes down to it, Andersons are essentially the best easily available system out there.
Adam Sperber
Hickman '10
Northwestern B '14
Loyola (inactive) '21

" 'Yay, more Adam Sperber' --Nobody " --Cody Voight
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

Honestly, with that many people, practice is impossible to run productively. Maybe think about getting a second set of buzzers and running in two rooms?

I get the feeling that someone from LASA is well-qualified to post here.
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
Eddie
Rikku

Post by Eddie »

You can find information about Andersons here. The second one (hand-held buzzers) are personally my favourite, and a case is $15 extra. The parts are really easy to replace, too, and they're generally good with communications.

I've also heard good reviews about these buzzers, which come with a padded case. Their biggest advantage over Andersons in my opinion is that they can be hooked up to support more than ten players at once, which comes in handy sometimes.
Eddie
he/him/his/hine
UCSD, UCLA
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas »

University of Maryland is well-known for its large, snake-like mess of a buzzer system, affectionately nicknamed "the Knot," which can accomodate up to 16 people. And, honestly, the tangle is rarely much of a hassle. If you're really looking for a buzzer system that will accomodate a large number of people [and, realistically, I know of none that go above 16], the Knot may be your best option. That's really only if you're deadset on keeping your practices to one room; splitting and using two buzzer systems is probably a better use of your money and effort.
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Buzzersystems.com has a system that accommodates up to 20 and another that goes up to 28, though they're pretty expensive when you get to that many players.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

This may exceed your individual needs, but for extremely large groups this product may be among the better options.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

If you buy two buzzersystems.com Ten-Player buzzers (which each handle 10 people), they can be linked together with a special multi-system connector cable to operate as a single lockout set. This is probably the best option, since you can easily de-couple the buzzers and bring two normal-sized sets to tournaments for 2 buzzer discounts rather than hauling around a large monstrosity.

Alternately, "The Knot" is more technically referred to as the "Quiz Wizard II Four-Team Configuration" if that's what you're looking for. Its cords come tied together in sets of four, which does remove a lot of the tangle hassle.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF