Funding for Brand New Team

New high school teams looking for advice should post here.
Rahulr
Lulu

Funding for Brand New Team

Post by Rahulr »

Hello all,

I am truly and deeply sorry if a thread similar to this one has already been posted, but I have been unable to find any specific ones regarding what I am inquiring about.

To provide a bit of background (necessary to understand my question), I recently started a quizbowl team at my high school and many students are interested. We have not attended any tournaments as of yet, but we have registered and secured funding for our first one. The tournament's fee was rather low, so we were actually able to secure funding from a generous benefactor.

However, looking into the future, I have quickly realized that funding will be a bit of a problem. I know, by reading the forums, that the most common way to gain funds is by running a tournament. But because our team is so young I don't think it would be the best idea.

Basically, I am asking for ideas for funding the QB team that will be feasible for newer ones. If you've had experience directly related to a fundraising idea, then I'd love to hear it. Thank you so much in advance.
Rahul Ramakrishnan
President, BHS Quizbowl
Belmont High School '16
Belmont, MA
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Re: Funding for Brand New Team

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

When I was in high school, we did a trivia night once a year to help support our finances (and I'm thinking of having Kirksville do it this spring to help fundraise for nationals if they qualify in 2 weeks). I seem to remember it helping out our finances quite a bit.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
Mewto55555
Tidus

Re: Funding for Brand New Team

Post by Mewto55555 »

Rahulr wrote:
However, looking into the future, I have quickly realized that funding will be a bit of a problem. I know, by reading the forums, that the most common way to gain funds is by running a tournament. But because our team is so young I don't think it would be the best idea.
QB players at colleges in your area will often be very willing to help you out with running a tournament, especially if you ask them nicely, so don't necessarily discount that idea so quickly.

If individual finances are permitting, one thing that can help lower expenses a lot is a pay-to-play type thing -- everyone who goes to a tournament chips in $5-10 to help defray costs, which isn't too expensive for most people (after all, that's like the price of a movie for about 5 times as long of entertainment), though be sure if its prohibitively expensive for someone make it clear that they don't have to pay more than they can.
Max
formerly of Ladue, Chicago