How to start a team

New high school teams looking for advice should post here.
ctortizclark
Kimahri

How to start a team

Post by ctortizclark »

Good morning.
We are looking to start a team. We are a large Chrsitian school (over 1,ooo students) in central virginia.
I already went to the national quizbowl website.
Can anyone from Virginia help me out with some of these questions?
Do I have to fill out anything for become a team?
Is there a fee for joining?
How do you go to your first competition?
Do you register with the national group or is there a state group?
How do you know what questions to study?
Any help would be appreciated.

User was reminded to enable a signature. --Mgmt
The Goffman Prophecies
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Re: How to start a team

Post by The Goffman Prophecies »

Welcome to the site! You'll find there are a number of people from central and western Virginia on the forums.

To answer your questions:
ctortizclark wrote:I already went to the national quizbowl website.
Can you specify which site you visited? There are two organizations that run premiere national championship tournaments for high schools, PACE and NAQT.

There's also the history-oriented National History Bee and Bowl, and the HSAPQ all-star tournament.
ctortizclark wrote:Do I have to fill out anything for become a team?
Is there a fee for joining?
Outside of any requirements your school many have in place for becoming a student club or team, there is no sort of organizational registration or joining fees. Many tournaments take place in places that are only a few hours from where you are - you can find them listed in the forums here or using the HSQuizbowl Database.
ctortizclark wrote:How do you go to your first competition?
Simply contact the person or organization running a tournament you'd like to attend and sign up. You'll have to figure out how your team is paying the registration fee for the tournament - some schools pay for them directly, other clubs fundraise through hosting tournaments of their own or other methods in order to raise money to travel to tournaments.
ctortizclark wrote:How do you know what questions to study?
Familiarize yourself with the questions available through quizbowlpackets.com. These are all from tournaments that have been run in the past.

NAQT also has an excellent guide for starting a new high school team and sample/practice questions available.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
and a couple other places
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS