New Team Startup Help

New high school teams looking for advice should post here.
Keifer430
Kimahri

New Team Startup Help

Post by Keifer430 »

Hello there, my name is Keith and my high school in South Carolina recently got invited to be part of a tournament in January and this would be great for us, but there is one problem. My school does not have a team. I am doing my best to start up a team, but I don't know where to start in the process of building up a team and getting them ready for competition in January. I know google can help me, but I can easily get lost from all of its broad things and I know this site will give me narrow answers that will get to the point of helping me. I guess the first thing I would like to know is what are the main rules for the competition? Once I get the info on that, then I could probably get my base for starting this team up.

I will appreciate any kind of help.

Thanks!
Last edited by Keifer430 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keith Dumais, Senior at Strom Thurmond Highschool
Stained Diviner
Auron

Re: New Team Startup Help

Post by Stained Diviner »

It would help if you let us know which competition you will attend.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Keifer430
Kimahri

Post by Keifer430 »

We will be competeing in the 24th Edition of the Cavalier Academic Challenge which is held at Dorman Highchool and will be on Saturday January 18, 2014.
Keith Dumais, Senior at Strom Thurmond Highschool
fett0001
Tidus

Post by fett0001 »

A good place for consolidated rules is http://www.pace-nsc.org/concise-rules-o ... -quizbowl/ .

I also suspect you will find other useful information here: http://www.pace-nsc.org/quizbowl-101/
Mike Hundley
PACE Member
Virginia Tech
Santa Claus
Rikku

Post by Santa Claus »

Lily Chen made a very useful handout for those unfamiliar with the play style of Quiz Bowl: link

Don't forgot that since this will be your first tournament, your placing and performance is secondary to having fun and hopefully contributing to a lasting program at your school.
Kevin Wang
Arcadia High School 2015
Amherst College 2019

2018 PACE NSC Champion
2019 PACE NSC Champion