How to Study for Tournaments (IS Sets)

New high school teams looking for advice should post here.
Chef Curry
Lulu

How to Study for Tournaments (IS Sets)

Post by Chef Curry »

I am a freshman on my quizbowl team, and going to a tournament this Saturday IS Set at Carnegie Mellon University, and also going to History Bowl on Nov. 16th. Does anybody have any tips on how to study?
Ahan Patel
Manheim Township High School '17
Villanova '21
heterodyne
Rikku

Re: How to Study for Tournaments (IS Sets)

Post by heterodyne »

http://www.qbwiki.com/wiki/How_to_Get_Good_at_This_Game

This is one useful resource. It won't really help you for this weekend, however. Basically, you probably won't be able to cram enough to make a difference, so review what you know and keep it cool. IS sets are about regular difficulty. Ask your teammates how they prepare for a tournament. For History Bowl, you might have enough time to put some of those tips into practice.

Oh yeah, I forgot that Schindler made this thingy: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... 30&t=14099
Alston [Montgomery] Boyd
Bloomington High School '15
UChicago '19
UChicago Divinity '21
they
Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus

Post by Sniper, No Sniping! »

I know he graduated from Manheim Township last year, but I believe he actually goes to Carnegie Mellon now, so it may be worth making acquaintances with Campbell Fitzhugh (I think that's his name) and if he's willing, perhaps you can get some pointers from him.
Thomas Moore
Lancaster Fisher Catholic HS c/o 2014
Ohio Wesleyan University c/o 2018
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Post by Rufous-capped Thornbill »

Mr. Scogan wrote:I know he graduated from Manheim Township last year, but I believe he actually goes to Carnegie Mellon now, so it may be worth making acquaintances with Campbell Fitzhugh (I think that's his name) and if he's willing, perhaps you can get some pointers from him.
He goes to Case Western now, actually.
Jarret Greene
South Range '10 / Ohio State '13 / Vermont '17
Corry
Rikku

Post by Corry »

Most people here won't give you explicit advice on how to study. QBWiki's "How to get good" page and Max Schindler's study guide may be worth a look, but both of them mostly give you basic advice about reading books, attending practices, etc.

This is because everybody has their own preferred method of studying for quiz bowl (and as a corollary, nobody wants to give up their "trade secrets"). The quickest and easiest way, however, is probably to read and study old quiz bowl questions from a database like Quinterest. While most veterans would agree that this is not a good long-term study strategy, for a regular-difficulty high school tournament, reading a couple hundred tossups will do you wonders. Personally, I would even recommend taking notes.
Corry Wang
Arcadia High School 2013
Amherst College 2017
NAQT Writer and Subject Editor
Journeyman
Lulu

Post by Journeyman »

I second Corry above on taking notes. Having players review what they are commonly missing is well worth focusing on. It also helps add a couple of clues to a particular answer that they are looking into learning more about. I would also recommended Quizlet for creating flashcards about common authors, painters, historical figures, etc.
Travis Blankenship
Berea Community High School
Head Coach
Jurassic Park 30th Anniversary Steering Committee
Chef Curry
Lulu

Post by Chef Curry »

I know he graduated from Manheim Township last year, but I believe he actually goes to Carnegie Mellon now, so it may be worth making acquaintances with Campbell Fitzhugh (I think that's his name) and if he's willing, perhaps you can get some pointers from him.
Campbell does go to Case Western, and I missed him by a year (i'm a freshman).
Anyway thanks for all the great tips, and if anybody has anymore, please go ahead and post.
Ahan Patel
Manheim Township High School '17
Villanova '21