How does a team play under a pseudonym?

New high school teams looking for advice should post here.
a Joe
Rikku

How does a team play under a pseudonym?

Post by a Joe »

That would translate to "Help, my coach only sends us to two tourneys per year and won't let us go to any more."

When I joined QB as a freshman, the Smithtowns did the Challenge, HFT, the local conference (RQB), and Beall's NAC. (Apparently, East was a powerhouse back then...) The next year, the challenge got cancelled, so we did the other three. This year, we placed very well in the UDFT (I'm pretty sure we got a NSC berth... Pretty sure...), we're doing RQB, and we're going to the NAC again, sadly. At the end of last year, I had my coach promise to send me to HSBB, but she reneged this year due to lack of money (even though the tourney is ten miles away), and she probably isn't going to let us go to the NSC either, half because she claims there is no money and half because she really just doesn't want to go.

This has been frustrating the daylights, to be nice about it, out of me for quite a while.

So, how does a high school go to tournaments "unaffiliated" or "under a pseudonym?" You know, so I don't need to deal with red tape (or my coach) and just do what I like doing best -- playing more Quizbowl.

(Man, we spend way too much on :chip: .)
"THE" Joe Feldman
President, The Long Island Quiz Bowl Alliance
President, Suffolk County Community College Traveling Trivia Team
Founder, American Quizbowl League
President Emeritus, Smithtown High School West

Ask me how I (almost) monopolized Quizbowl
coldstonesteveaustin
Wakka

Re: How does a team play under a pseudonym?

Post by coldstonesteveaustin »

So you basically just tell the TD that you're going to the tournament under a pseudonym, that's the easy part. Then, you have to recruit some teammates, and each of you will have to pay (entry fee/number of people on your team), which is probably around $20, if you have three teammates and the fee is $80. Then, you'd have to arrange transportation, this either involves a teammate or a parent driving a car, or resorting to public transportation. Last but not least, keep it on the down low from your coach/school administration/etc. That's pretty much it, from my pseudonymous experiences last year.
Hidehiro Anto
Menlo School '14
UCLA '18

"Those who cannot remember 'Black Magic Woman' are condemned to repeat it." - Carlos Santayana
a Joe
Rikku

Post by a Joe »

One thing, though: this this work for nationals, like the NSC or HSNCT? That's one of my bigger problems (along with the 'recruit teammates' part.)
"THE" Joe Feldman
President, The Long Island Quiz Bowl Alliance
President, Suffolk County Community College Traveling Trivia Team
Founder, American Quizbowl League
President Emeritus, Smithtown High School West

Ask me how I (almost) monopolized Quizbowl
pajaro bobo
Wakka

Post by pajaro bobo »

Snoopy wrote:One thing, though: this this work for nationals, like the NSC or HSNCT? That's one of my bigger problems (along with the 'recruit teammates' part.)
Yes.
Alex Liu
Georgia Tech '1X
Chattahoochee '13
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Snoopy wrote:this this work for nationals, like the NSC or HSNCT?
For HSNCT: make sure you let us know 1) what school you represent and 2) for what reasons you are choosing to use a pseudonym.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

bird bird bird bird bird wrote:
Snoopy wrote:this this work for nationals, like the NSC or HSNCT?
For HSNCT: make sure you let us know 1) what school you represent and 2) for what reasons you are choosing to use a pseudonym.
The same holds true for NSC.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
NYU '26 (ideally)
ACF
czheng0708
Lulu

Post by czheng0708 »

Does anyone know if this holds true for NHBB Nationals as well?
Christopher Zheng
Great Neck South High School '15
University of California, Berkeley '19
pajaro bobo
Wakka

Post by pajaro bobo »

czheng0708 wrote:Does anyone know if this holds true for NHBB Nationals as well?
I've seen individuals/teams go under pseudonyms, so I'd say yes.
Alex Liu
Georgia Tech '1X
Chattahoochee '13
High Dependency Unit
Yuna

Post by High Dependency Unit »

czheng0708 wrote:Does anyone know if this holds true for NHBB Nationals as well?
It does-I'm pretty sure it's also alot easier than NSC and HSNCT.
Michael Borecki
Middlesex Middle '13,
Darien (co-captain) '17,
Bowdoin College (club president) '21
TylerV
Wakka

Post by TylerV »

The only thing i have to add to this is to make sure your pseudonym is believable. My senior year of high school we went to many tournaments with a "fun" pseudonym(including HSNCT), I had more leeway with this as my coach was aware of what we were doing but simply did not have the money nor the time to go officially. However it was only after I had already graduated that some of the tournament directors whose tournaments I attended expressed displeasure at how out there my pseudonym was.(As my name stuck out like a sore thumb)

I've heard different opinions on what makes for a good pseudonym but the one that makes the most sense to be is to just go by the name of your county(for example my county was Ogle so I would have played as Ogle County School) as this protects you anonymity while giving you, what should be, a uniquely identifying name.

EDIT: Also I've heard this from other players rather than TDs but try to be consistent in your psydonym as this makes it easier to find your stats.
Tyler Vaughan
UW-Platteville, Rock Valley, UIUC 2014-2017
Southern New Hampshire University 2020 - ?

"God the automatic cat feeder might be the best invention ever" - Brad McLain
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Mucho Macho Man wrote:
It does-I'm pretty sure it's also alot easier than NSC and HSNCT.
NHBB allows anyone to play under a pseudonym, no questions asked, as long as we (i.e. NHBB) know what school you're with (for seeding purposes, and ensuring that students from the same school don't play the same set twice). Play under whatever name you like at our events as long as it's not offensive or an attempt to represent another school or team. Playing under a pseudonym is fine at Nationals too. If you're able to make it to our Lower Hudson tournament at White Plains on Dec. 13 (at least 1 other Long Island team is going), then I can give you further advice on dealing with this sort of situation in person, since I'll be directing there.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad