Fledgling Scotch Plains NJ trivia team

New high school teams looking for advice should post here.
bibliophile87
Kimahri

Fledgling Scotch Plains NJ trivia team

Post by bibliophile87 »

Hello world! I was a member of a trivia team back before I moved, and, of course, I'm putting one together in my new location, but it's proving to be quite an undertaking. Could anyone in the region help me out with registration and such? Thanks!
Arthur Rohman, Scotch Plains Fanwood High School
Dead Parrot
Wakka

Re: Fledgling Scotch Plains NJ trivia team

Post by Dead Parrot »

Unfortunately, regular season tournaments in this area seem to have concluded for the year. However, if you're looking ahead to next season, Princeton University traditionally holds a tournament on an NAQT IS-set in late September, and St. Joseph's High School in Metuchen usually hosts one on the highly-rated GSAC question set in mid-December. High Technology High School in Lincroft also held a fall tournament last year. Hunter College High School in Manhattan regularly hosts a tournament on the SCOP Novice set in early November, which is a good option for an inexperienced team. And those are just the tournaments before winter break.

Also, if you need help with the logistics of starting a team, it would be a good idea to contact one of the coaches in the area, like Jon Pinyan at Bergen County Academies ([email protected]), Andrew Ibendahl at Mountain Lakes High School ([email protected]), and/or Ed Powers at St. Joe's ([email protected]). They all have several years' experience (or more) with coaching quizbowl and can provide valuable advice.

Best of luck with starting a team at Scotch Plains! It's great to see more schools in the Garden State taking an interest in good quizbowl. :grin:
David Song
Livingston '14, Rutgers '18
Great Bustard
Auron

Re: Fledgling Scotch Plains NJ trivia team

Post by Great Bustard »

Hi Arthur,
The National History Bee and Bowl was founded in New Jersey 5 years ago, and it's still our best state in the country (36 NJ teams competed at our National Championships two weeks ago). Our big 3 area tournaments in Seton Hall, Ridgewood, and Princeton will each probably draw about 50-80 teams next year. We typically run about 5 tournaments a year in New Jersey alone, and many in neighboring states that are also always open to NJ teams. See www.historybowl.com for details - we'll have our 2015-16 schedule up on a rolling basis starting later this month. At all NHBB regional tournaments, we also run the National Qualifying Exams for the US History Bee and the US Geography Olympiad. See www.ushistorybee.org and www.geographyolympiad.com for more.
Let me know if you have any questions, and I hope your team can join us next year!
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad