Books "for Quizbowl"

New high school teams looking for advice should post here.
tksaleija
Wakka

Re: Books "for Quizbowl"

Post by tksaleija » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:55 am

You're a modern hero
Aleija Rodriguez
Monroe County Middle College '19
Monroe County Community College '19

CPiGuy
Rikku

Re: Books "for Quizbowl"

Post by CPiGuy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:48 pm

physicsnerd wrote:For mythology, all of Rick Riordan's books. It may seem nuts, but if you like reading fiction, it's got all the greek, egyptian, and norse myth you'll need to start out with (for the most part, anyway). Pretty much all the points from mythology I've gotten are from those.
can confirm -- have gotten reasonably hard myth questions off of Percy Jackson knowledge
physicsnerd wrote:I saw there was a comment up above on studying for biblical questions - I would read the gospels, Acts, and Revelation (though if you're short on time, pick one gospel, they do overlap quite a bit) from the New Testament and Genesis, Exodus, and 1st Samuel through 2nd Chronicles. If you do this and also read through summaries of some other biblical stories (Daniel, Ruth, Esther, a short summary of which churches Paul sent letters to, Joshua, Sampson) you'll be, I think, more than good for most of the questions I've heard come up.
if you'd rather read something other than the actual Bible, I recommend Tikva Frymer-Kensky's Reading the Women of the Bible -- obviously its feminist focus means some stories get left out altogether or not focused on, but it provides short summaries of a bunch of major biblical stories in line with discussion of them.
Conor Thompson
Bangor HS (Maine) '16
Michigan '20