Preseason Poll, 2017-18... w/ Results!

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
deserto
Wakka

Preseason Poll, 2017-18... w/ Results!

Post by deserto »

RESULTS BELOW

Good afternoon,

I've emailed the preseason high school quizbowl poll to a select group of voters, but would welcome additional participants. If you are an active member of the high school quizbowl community and are interested in putting together a good-faith ranking of the top 25 teams in the country (and world), drop me a line: g.brisontrezise AT gmail. Players, coaches, TDs, and observers may all submit ballots. I will post the results in this space on the week of Sept. 4. Good luck to all teams this season! May it be a fun and edifying one.

Cheers,

Gabe

RESULTS:

TOP 25:

1. Thomas Jefferson A (Alexandria, Va.) — 372 POINTS (14)*
2. James E. Taylor (Katy, Texas) — 340
3. Dublin Scioto (Dublin, Ohio) — 334
4. Detroit Catholic Central (Novi, Mich.) — 328 (3)
5. Hunter (New York, N.Y.) — 318
6. Canyon Crest (San Diego, Calif.) — 283
7. LASA A (Austin, Texas) — 262
8. Lehigh Valley Academy (Bethlehem, Pa.) — 233
9. Montgomery Blair (Silver Spring, Md.) — 213
10. Stevenson (Lincolnshire, Ill.) — 203
11. Northview (Johns Creek, Ga.) — 190
12. Richard Montgomery (Rockville, Md.) — 183
13. Beavercreek (Beavercreek, Ohio) — 168
14. Chattahoochee (Johns Creek, Ga.) — 164
15. Arcadia (Arcadia, Calif.) — 109
16. St. John's (Houston, Texas) — 106
17. Lexington (Lexington, Mass.) — 102
18. Rockford Auburn (Rockford, Ill.) — 88
19. Ladue (St. Louis, Mo.) — 80
20. Dorman (Roebuck, S.C.) — 61
21. Homestead (Cupertino, Calif.) — 57
22. Crystal Springs Uplands (Hillsborough, Calif.) — 42
23. Hoover (Hoover, Ala.) — 39
24. Battle Ground Academy (Franklin, Tenn.) — 35
25. High Tech (Lincroft, N.J.) — 33

Also receiving votes: MICDS (Mo.) 32, Fremd (Ill.) 31, James Clemens (Ala.) 30, Harker (Calif.) 26, Ed W. Clark (Nev.) 25, Wayzata (Minn.) 18, Westminster (Ga.) 18, Detroit Country Day (Mich.) 17, Thomas Jefferson B 14, Strake Jesuit (Texas) 9, Glasgow (Ky.) 9, Davis (Calif.) 8, Dunbar (Ky.) 8, St. Mark's (Texas) 7, Barrington (Ill.) 6, IMSA (Ill.) 5, LASA B 5, Early College at Guilford (N.C.) 3, Darien (Conn.) 3, Henderson County (Ky.) 2, Miami Valley (Ohio) 1, St. Joseph Central (Mo.) 1

* first-place votes

I compiled this ranking on the basis of ballots submitted by the following 19 members of the high school quizbowl community: Michael Borecki (Bowdoin College), Colin Cantwell (University of Virginia), Christopher Gismondi (coach, Detroit Catholic Central), Alistair Gray (senior, Homestead), Brett Hogan (Wallace State Community College), Kevin Kodama (junior, Oak Park-River Forest [Ill.]), Michael Mathis (coach, Chattahoochee), Ben Miller (senior, Montgomery Blair), Jakob Myers (Michigan State University), Brian Owen (coach, Dorman), Hari Parameswaran (junior, Beavercreek), Michael Powers (junior, Louisiana [Mo.]), Nick Rommel (junior, Lexington), Colton Sanden (The Pennsylvania State University), Peter Schmidt (coach, Lehigh Valley Academy), Gregory Schweers (coach, Cistercian [Texas]), Eric Seifter, John Heslin, and Sara Seifter (coaches, Centennial [Md.])
Last edited by deserto on Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gabe B-T
moderator-for-hire
deserto
Wakka

Re: Preseason Poll, 2017-18... w/ Results!

Post by deserto »

NOTES:

-- To minimize the impact of outlier selections, I dropped the highest and lowest ranking from each team's vote total. Those selections appear in red on the ballot spreadsheet. I plan to maintain this approach for the midseason and pre-nats polls.

-- As I did in May, I combined players' and coaches' ballots into one overall ranking. I received just six ballots from coaches, so this seemed a pragmatic approach.

-- I urge consumers of this poll to join me in thanking the coaches and students who submitted ballots. This thread is a platform to sound off on the ranking, the upcoming season, even particular selections. But please keep the conversation civil and refrain from hectoring individual voters.

-- If you'd like to vote in future iterations of this poll or have questions, comments, suggestions, or math errors to point out, write me at g.brisontrezise AT gmail.

-- This poll does not include a small-school portion, but I invite those invested in the small-school circuit to leave their thoughts below or in the preseason predictions thread.
Gabe B-T
moderator-for-hire
deserto
Wakka

Post by deserto »

A chloropleth map, for your viewing pleasure:

Gabe B-T
moderator-for-hire
username_crisis_averted
Lulu

Post by username_crisis_averted »

I thought removing outliers did a pretty good job at curbing the bias that we saw in last year's preseason poll. Another possible change that might be beneficial is eliminating any "0" votes for a team that crosses a certain vote threshold (say, 100 votes), as it may be that the voter in question just forgot to include said team.
Kevin Kodama
University of Washington '23
Chromica
Lulu

Post by Chromica »

I will be posting my own Small-School exclusive thoughts on the upcoming season in a soon-to-be-published thread, which I hope will start some discussion, though I still encourage active discussion here.
Colton Sanden

-Penn State (2017-2021)
-Camp Hill HS (2013-2017), Captain 2016-2017
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Post by A Dim-Witted Saboteur »

lel someone forgot I graduated
Jakob M. (they/them)
Michigan State '21, Indiana '2?
"No one has ever organized a greater effort to get people interested in pretending to play quiz bowl"
-Ankit Aggarwal
Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedov
Lulu

Post by Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedov »

It's pretty cool to be one of the most divisive teams on the list, with many rankings in the high teens and a few zeros. Either way, we have a lot of great players that have really been developing under the radar this past year, and a season of dedicated practice and even semi-committed studying could make our crop of juniors and sophomores serious national contenders for the next couple years.
Nick Rommel
Lexington Quizbowl President '17-'18

"Cloud forests in this mountain range-" BUZZ "Andes Mountains"
username_crisis_averted
Lulu

Post by username_crisis_averted »

In retrospect, not ranking Wayzata was a bad idea.
Kevin Kodama
University of Washington '23